North Carolina

any one have any experiences or suggestions for "no seating plan?"

we want to have a sign up that says "come as you are stay as long as you can, we are all family now so no seating plan!" just want to see how that has worked out for anyone if they've done no seating plan before- and if you have any suggestions on how to do name tags for tables etc. (or advise lol)

Re: any one have any experiences or suggestions for "no seating plan?"

• NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have a seating chart during the reception and it went fine. There also wasn't a sign.
    We also didn't specifiy 'sides' during the ceremony, but found that the families did kind of sat on their own sides all on their own.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I think it really depends on how many people you're inviting. If it's like 200, that may be a little chaotic. 
  • edited December 2011
    ever been to a wedding and could not find a seat...very akward situation....simply because some dummy decided at the last minute to bring a date or worse some people didn't rsvp.  seat assignments make it easy for your guests to know where to go. 

avoids the possibilty of holding up your reception to roll in tables while everyone else is seated and put white cloths on them and mismatched chairs. 

this is not a time to show that you are casual lay back type of people.  it's a time to make your guests comfortable and be gracious hosts.
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_one-experiences-suggestions-seating-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:8b6a9703-e4d5-4197-998e-dee882d0dd69Post:86f677e0-8f1f-4f33-ab29-8916c1964f45">Re: any one have any experiences or suggestions for "no seating plan?"</a>:
    [QUOTE]ever been to a wedding and could not find a seat...very akward situation....simply because some dummy decided at the last minute to bring a date or worse some people didn't rsvp.  seat assignments make it easy for your guests to know where to go.  avoids the possibilty of holding up your reception to roll in tables while everyone else is seated and put white cloths on them and mismatched chairs.  this is not a time to show that you are casual lay back type of people.  it's a time to make your guests comfortable and be gracious hosts.
    Posted by andrea01012009[/QUOTE]

These are very good point and it also depends on the size of your guest list.
    We had a total of about 60 people and I think we had set up two extra tables that sat 8 people each, just in case others showed up or someone didn't want to sit with a particular person.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • alaliberte17alaliberte17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all this is helpful!
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tend to agree with Andrea, but I think it can still be done without much awkwardness.

We had over 200 people and no seating plan.  We didn't even save tables for the wedding party.  Our solution was to have plenty of extra tables, so even if tables didn't fill up there would be enough space.  I think we ended up with at least 4 tables where no one sat.

Part of the reason we didn't have a seating chart was we'd had a difficult time nailing down the headcount.  So we just overshot on the number we gave the caterer, put out extra tables and didn't worry about it.  If that's not in your budget, then a seating chart can help ensure things go smoothly and guests aren't split up from their dates. 
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, you don't need a sign.  People are smart.
  • edited December 2011

I went to a wedding with no seating plan, it was a little annoying. We were sitting for quite a while, it was a buffet and the line for food was long and at least 10 people got up to give a toast. My fiancé and I ended up at a table in the back with the groom's cousin and her 5 kids (all under 10). But we did survive.  

All I can say is that for larger groups it's not ideal. But if you can keep sitting time to a minimum and have extra tables it shouldn't be too bad. Also, you don't need a sign but I thought your idea was cute so I'd do it.

1White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing a 'modified' seating plan. I will have 4-5 tables reserved near our sweetheart table for immediate family members and bridal party + their signifcant others. The others will be unmarked, but people will pick up their little place card from the lobby and put it at whatever spot they choose. That way they can get up to do whatever and not worry about having to lose their spot. Also, we are going to try to have maybe 20 more spots than there are people.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards