Not Engaged Yet

we're about to get snowed in...

we're expecting a winter storm to start tonight, and i'm positive i'll be cooped up in the house for a couple days.  we don't often get weather like this, maybe once or twice each winter.

ideas for things to do while i'm stuck in the house?

i'm going to run to the store (hopefully there is a little food left, people have been clearing out the shelves all weekend)...  any healthyish recipes i should buy ingredients for?

Re: we're about to get snowed in...

• Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think there's a chance we're also going to get a wicked storm in the next couple of days. This happens a lot here though, so I'm sure we won't be snowed in unfortunately - I could use some time to catch up on school work. 

While stuck in the house you could clean (I'd do that, but I like cleaning), work on a craft or other household DIY, curl up with a good book, watch lots of TV, create exciting and elaborate foods (recipes, I don't know, but you'll have lots of time to cook)...That's about all I got. I absolutely hate being stuck indoors. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    We're supposed to get quite a storm here in CO as well. (maybe down to -17...yikes!)

I love to take hot baths, watch movies, clean the house, read a good book or just snuggle up with my honey. Usually we don't get out of work here for weather though...so enjoy it if you do!
  • edited December 2011
    Can I have some snow? I don't want to go to class. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make chicken chili - ground lean chicken, 3 cans of beans, 3 cans of diced tomatoes, canned corn, and a bunch of spices (I like chipotle, Mexican chili powder, and onions).  Saute the chicken in olive oil with chili spices, then add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Healthy and delicious!

You could always do those arm lifts with the weights while you're snowed in... and some lunges and squats.  And maybe some wall push ups (like normal push ups, but just stand away from a wall and then lean against it - a fraction of the weight so you can do more of them). 

Anniversary

• AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Board games.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:bef0fc8f-415e-4e49-a891-4d6541695d3b">we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]we're expecting a winter storm to start tonight, and i'm positive i'll be cooped up in the house for a couple days.  we don't often get weather like this, maybe once or twice each winter. ideas for things to do while i'm stuck in the house? i'm going to run to the store (hopefully there is a little food left, people have been clearing out the shelves all weekend)...  any healthyish recipes i should buy ingredients for?
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]
     <div>OMG I know, I work at a pharmacy and yesterday I thought I was gonna get killed! We did have an awful nice past couple days. I have a love/hate relationship with oklahoma's weather. 70 on saturday, blizzard on tuesday. I just hope I get out of school...unlikely.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Abigail - what school??  i can't imagine your school not being let out tomorrow.  even our govenment facility is already telling us 95% chance we'll be let out all day tomorrow.

the weather was SOOOOO nice this past weekend!  it makes this snow/ice/blizzard even more depressing.  :(

i also have a love/hate relationship.  we get it all.  we've had blizzards, ice storms, tornadoes, earthquakes, droughts, heat waves, floods, straightline winds, and even a tropical storm managed to wander up here a few years ago!  it keeps you on your toes.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, weather is exciting!!

We're supposed to get a bunch of snow here too, but us Minnesotans are tough. We can handle whatever.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • edited December 2011
    We've been getting snow at least once a week here since Christmas it seems like. We're getting another storm either tonight or sometime tomorrow (not gonna stop me from going to my concert though!).

When I'm snowed in I love to watch movies, especially really long dramas. I also love to bake or make a completely new recipe for dinner. Something from the slow cooker is really great on a snowy day =)

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • edited December 2011
    I know your pain Oklaham girls! I lived there for four years and I grew up in Amarillo (which has the same weather). Now that I'm in San Antonio I get everything half a day later than you and with less intensity. Today it's supposed to get up to 75 and tomorrow the low is 22. I know that isn't bad at all, but it has gotten below freezing a total of two times so far this year so its a big change.
  • edited December 2011
    I usually cook up a storm when I'm snowed in.

We're supposed to be getting ice accumulation tonight along with some potential power outages. Oh boy! Guess I'd better rethink my cooking plan.
    Married! :) 5/19/12 The Domesticals

• MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They're saying we're going to get 15 inches of snow, lets hope so!! (I'm crazy, I know.) I've told me boss if my school is closed, I will not even try to come in. My school is about 3 blocks from work and NEVER closes so that's a good indicator to not even try coming in. If it is open, my mom and I will venture out to see if we can make it onto the freeway. If not, back to bed I go.

Poor Riley is going to have a tough time peepee-ing outside. I think Miles will too. Poor stubby legged dogs. :(
  • edited December 2011
    ekath - our cairns love the snow!  we play ball with chunks of ice and snow.  and it's an excuse for me to put Bella's coat on...  what a cutie!  she likes to climb the ice/snow mountains and then plunge off of them into a snowbank. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:ed8a4982-0ee2-4ed7-82b9-0a790c7ebbbd">Re: we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]They're saying we're going to get 15 inches of snow, lets hope so!! (I'm crazy, I know.) I've told me boss if my school is closed, I will not even try to come in. My school is about 3 blocks from work and NEVER closes so that's a good indicator to not even try coming in. If it is open, my mom and I will venture out to see if we can make it onto the freeway. If not, back to bed I go. <strong>Poor Riley is going to have a tough time peepee-ing outside. I think Miles will too. Poor stubby legged dogs. :(</strong>
    Posted by MLekathLEEN[/QUOTE]

ekath - my mom's apartment complex got so much snow that my doggies can't step a foot outside into the yard without sinking! What I saw some of her neighbors do is digging out a spot in the courtyard in front of their apartments until the grass is visible, just a little 2x2 square or so, so it makes it easier for the dogs to do their business. When it's cold, they just want to pee and go back in where it's warm, they don't need a lot of space!

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are supposed to get a bad snowstorm either tomorrow or Wednesday. BF is really excited for more snow. I'm okay with the snow, I just don't like other people in the snow..driving, not shovelling, etc.

I'll be going to work for sure unless highways are closed, but it has to be ridiculous for that to happen.

trust me you'll find lots of good stuff to do when you don't have to go anywhere.
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We have a covered porch that my little one always pees on when it's too dark or cold for her standards. We haven't had to do it since we had out old cairn but we'll probably shovel trails around the yard for them.

• edited December 2011
    last year we had a HUGE winter snow storm and my dad dug a tunnel for the dogs to get from the back door to the yard.  she loved playing in it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:8d3763f5-0ccc-4916-bc8c-84b7731dcf7b">Re: we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Abigail - what school??  i can't imagine your school not being let out tomorrow.  even our govenment facility is already telling us 95% chance we'll be let out all day tomorrow. the weather was SOOOOO nice this past weekend!  it makes this snow/ice/blizzard even more depressing.  :( i also have a love/hate relationship.  we get it all.  we've had blizzards, ice storms, tornadoes, earthquakes, droughts, heat waves, floods, straightline winds, and even a tropical storm managed to wander up here a few years ago!  it keeps you on your toes.
     <div>
    </div><div>I go to OU, they're talking about letting out now, earlier they were saying we'd have to come. My dad works for the government! and yes, I know about the tornadoes, before I moved to the OKC area for school, I lived in NE Oklahoma, did you hear about the Picher tornado, the one that wiped out the whole town? My boyfriends house is a mile from where it hit, I totally saw it! Oh and who can forget the ice storm of '08?</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Abigail - my bro also goes to OU, I was so surprised they let out a couple weeks ago!  it was all melted by lunch.  :)

yes, I remember Picher...  we were in the May 3rd, 1999...  that was scary business.  our house had minor damage, but it wiped out the area for sure.
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:da4b6b18-ac48-4e08-8e2a-9624576307bc">Re: we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a covered porch that my little one always pees on when it's too dark or cold for her standards. We haven't had to do it since we had out old cairn but we'll probably <strong>shovel trails around the yard for them.</strong>
    Posted by MLekathLEEN[/QUOTE]

<div>We do this for M&M and it's HILARIOUS! They do their bidnez and then they chase each other around the tracks like fools.  Mol's legs are short but she doesn't care...she'll run through the snow (tracks or no) to catch Mikey.  hilariousssss!</div><div>
    </div><div>As for snow, we're supposed to get 30cm on Thursday apparently (that's what FMIL told me anyways) and maybe a bunch tomorrow as well.  I sleep on snow days.  Sleep, play on TK, netflix, read a book, cook/bake</div>

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    A good book, some board games, candles (even if the power doesn't go out, candles are nice), plenty of soups, and maybe Netflix some classic old movies. It would be a perfect time to watch Gone With The Wind!
    Anniversary
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With the windchill, it's supposed to feel like -15 to -20 here. Chillyyyyyyyyy. Oh, and that's in Celsius... I don't know Farenheit.

Southern Ontario's supposed to get lots of snow too. Apparently we're basically guaranteed 15cm Wednesday but probably more than that. Some places here will probably get up to 30cm as well.

I like to read on snow days. I like to read all the time :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:debcc1de-9e3d-43a1-affe-83fcf8d1c967">Re: we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Abigail - my bro also goes to OU, I was so surprised they let out a couple weeks ago!  it was all melted by lunch.  :) yes, I remember Picher...  we were in the May 3rd, 1999...  that was scary business.  our house had minor damage, but it wiped out the area for sure.

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, It was because of the ice. I don't have class on thursdays and I still had to work. I think my sister's house was in that/the house we're going to buy. It went through moore didn't it? I just know the people who had the house before them had a built in grill in the backyard, (i saw it on google earth lol) and it got taken out by the tornado. as well as a few of their neighbors houses. </div>
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I vote crafting and reading :)  And catching up on movies.  Have fun! And stay warm!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:74d5902a-0f6c-4477-ac53-9b0062116684">Re: we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: we're about to get snowed in... : Yeah, It was because of the ice. I don't have class on thursdays and I still had to work. I think my sister's house was in that/the house we're going to buy. It went through moore didn't it? I just know the people who had the house before them had a built in grill in the backyard, (i saw it on google earth lol) and it got taken out by the tornado. as well as a few of their neighbors houses. 
    Posted by AbigailMS[/QUOTE]

you'll practically be my neighbor...  weird!  :)
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:bef0fc8f-415e-4e49-a891-4d6541695d3b">we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]we're expecting a winter storm to start tonight, and i'm positive i'll be cooped up in the house for a couple days.  we don't often get weather like this, maybe once or twice each winter. ideas for things to do while i'm stuck in the house? i'm going to run to the store (hopefully there is a little food left, people have been clearing out the shelves all weekend)...  any healthyish recipes i should buy ingredients for?

Here's a healthy recipe for ya! I made it last night and BF raved about it. Curry Shrimp with Snow Peas:

<a href="http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/curry-shrimp-snow-peas-00000000041499/index.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/curry-shrimp-snow-peas-00000000041499/index.html</a>
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:b809aa94-6fc3-475c-9304-240332a810ae">Re: we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]With the windchill, it's supposed to feel like -15 to -20 here. Chillyyyyyyyyy. Oh, and that's in Celsius... I don't know Farenheit. <strong>Southern Ontario's supposed to get lots of snow too. Apparently we're basically guaranteed 15cm Wednesday but probably more than that. Some places here will probably get up to 30cm as well</strong>. I like to read on snow days. I like to read all the time :)
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

<div>True story. They're saying 30cm with lots of wind in my area. I almost guarantee I will still have to drag my butt down my unplowed road to school. It's been around -15C all day today, but supposed to warm up a bit in the next few days (-7). I don't know what's worse - lots of snow, or really cold.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • edited December 2011
    Um, so this storm that's hitting all you of is now here. The temperature dropped 40 DEGREES this morning! Seriously?! I wore a tank top last night and now it's freeziong outside. I swear Texas is bipolar when it comes to weather. Oh and it's supposed to snow here on Friday!!! Believe me people here are going to freak out because Houstonians DO NOT know how to deal with snow lol

Anyways good luck to everyone with all the crazy weather! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-snowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d8087044-e29a-4c43-8011-6bbe4f5e5942Post:e4c48a35-e85a-4d07-a785-a6ba71015d97">Re: we're about to get snowed in...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: we're about to get snowed in... : True story. They're saying 30cm with lots of wind in my area. I almost guarantee I will still have to drag my butt down my unplowed road to school. It's been around -15C all day today, but supposed to warm up a bit in the next few days (-7). I don't know what's worse - lots of snow, or really cold.
    Posted by Beads921[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what we're looking at. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm going to bother going for one class... I feel like its one I can afford to miss too. Plus I'm just lazy ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards