Louisiana-New Orleans

Best month to have a New Orleans wedding?

In your opinion what is the best month to get married in New Orleans? Why?

Re: Best month to have a New Orleans wedding?

• No, seriously, if I could do it all over again I'd pick the fall. Not as many events in New  Orleans to compete with, which makes a BIG difference when you are trying to book your vendors and hotel blocks.
  • My wedding will be in October and I truly think October is the most beautiful month in South LA.  That said, I would only consider an October wedding if you have at least a year and a half to plan.  We started planning 18 months out and many people/places were already booked.  We were flexible in that we figured out which church/reception hall/videographer/photographer we wanted, and then found a weekend that worked for all of them.

Keep in mind that Spring (March through about early June) is festival season in NOLA.  Seems like every weekend there is something going on -- which will make it harder to find venues and definitely hotels.  Late summer and early fall seems to be convention season which means that you'll have a tough time with room blocks.

I would sit down with a calendar and figure out which times of the year are definitely out in your mind -- too hot, mardi gras, too cold, football season, jazz fest, whatever.  And then work from there. 

Good luck!

• I still like Spring weddings in New Orleans, although they are tricky to plan around the various events.  Fall is also a lovely time.
  • November is good too.  It hasn't gotten cold yet but has a distinctive fall feeling. 
  • I really wanted October due to the great fall weather, but like pp said it is very difficult to obtain everything you want unless you are doing serious advanced planning.  I was setting my date last July (early in the month) for this coming fall and had to settle on Sept 29.  October is a very busy wedding month and for good reason IMO. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    What do I know?  But unintentionally, we picked the 2nd Saturday before Mardi Gras, in February.  This year, that was February 11th.  If it had been a week later, the weather would have been perfect (75-78) and it seems because everyone was afraid of Mardi Gras parades and what not, it was not a popular wedding weekend and almost all vendors were available.  Hotel prices were just starting to go up but airfare was super cheap (less than $200), and really, as long as our guests stayed in the FQ they wern't really affected by parades or traffic.  In fact, being so close to Mardi Gras just made it even more fun, and the days leading up to the wedding were mid 70s without a drop of humidity-perfect (for me anyhow!)
  • Our wedding was in October. The weather was perfect, the entire weekend was beautiful. Planned the entire thing in 12 months, no availability issues, although it was a Sunday event. It is a big time for conventions, but if you shop around early enough, you can find good hotel deals.
  • I picked February 2013. I think its a beautiful month but we fought with trying to plan around mardi gras and the superbowl. If I had to do it again I woud probably go with like October.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing a Friday night in July 2012. We got engaged and starting planning in December 2011, and didn't have any problems getting our preferred vendors. The biggest hassle we've had to deal with was hotel blocks.
  • We're late in February 2013 after Mardi Gras and the Super Bowl. I think it's helpful for guests who may have holiday plans and such. This way it doesn't get in the way of their holiday budgets.
  • Maybe because I was looking at it, October seems to be a very popular month. I would say the summer is way too hot. We're aiming for early November right now, also I'm avoiding Halloween weekend, because I don't really want to see all the costumes.
  • Maybe because I was looking at it, October seems to be a very popular month. I would say the summer is way too hot. We're aiming for early November right now, also I'm avoiding Halloween weekend, because I don't really want to see all the costumes.
  • October has the least amount of rainfall in the city each year. Maybe you can look up rainfall amount averages and look at the top 3 months with the least rainfall. Avoid July and August and early September.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards