Military Brides

Life insurance?

I know that an SM has to have life insuarance, but I don't know if I would be covered once we get married or what. We aren't getting married for another 2 years and we aren't getting married just for life insuarnce.  Fi and I have made some pretty big decisions lately and I think it would be a good idea for me to have some. 

Do any of you have some? Who covers you? Do you like knowing that you have it?
Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Re: Life insurance?

• ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I actually have my own policy through work, but once I cancel my health insurance through them, I also lose my life insurance. He can open a policy on me, but we're not in the rush right now.  We don't have any children or anything which is the reason I would want it. I do know its easier and cheaper to get when you are younger if you can get locked into a price because as you get older it can be harder.
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We actually don't "have" to have the insurance but for as cheap as it is, we would be nuts not to.

Word of advice from a soon to be retired Soldier MOB.  Get a term (not whole) life insurance now.  You are young and I assume healthy.  It will never get any cheaper.

I have made the sad mistake of not doing that.  It was one of those things I was going to get around to doing.  Well, I didn't and now I will pay dearly for the policy.

You will be covered once you are married if your FI makes that election.  It is crazy cheap insurance and a great deal.  The only problem is when he leaves the service the cheap insurance stays behind.  I really encourage you to get a policy now and hang on to it.

What I will have to pay for life insurance next year is crazy.  Oh the consequences of procrastinating.
  • edited December 2011
    Are you not enlisting anymore? If you are why don't you just wait until all of your military stuff gets set up
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:66987dda-1ccf-4633-89bd-1c7441791c91">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you not enlisting anymore? If you are why don't you just wait until all of your military stuff gets set up
    Posted by Zimsgirl[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly...
    Photobucket
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:66987dda-1ccf-4633-89bd-1c7441791c91">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you not enlisting anymore? If you are why don't you just wait until all of your military stuff gets set up
    1. I'm not sure yet and 2. I can't even enlist until novemeber. A sh!t ton of things can happen between now and then
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone have a good company to go through?
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wait til you decide for sure whether you're enlisting. Well, that's what I would do anyway. It's not that the paperwork is hard but, why do it twice?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:8da8956a-8568-4a4b-ae13-9def072b9617">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : 1. I'm not sure yet and 2. I can't even enlist until novemeber. A sh!t ton of things can happen between now and then
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

Why am I not surprised..

Just google Life Insurance. Get quotes from State Farm, Geico, All State, Farmers.. I feel like Life Insurance is a really personal choice.  Plus I really hope this is your idea, and not your FI.. That's always super fishy to me when a FI/H/BF/SO pushes towards someone getting a life insurance policy.. Or you could even go and meet with agents and see who you like the best..  Life insurance is a really personal thing, IMO, I wouldn't sign anything with an agent that I didn't feel comfortable with..
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:88002b52-d8b5-45d1-8222-5ab369f84429">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : Why am I not surprised.. Just google Life Insurance. Get quotes from State Farm, Geico, All State, Farmers.. I feel like Life Insurance is a really personal choice.  Plus I really hope this is your idea, and not your FI.. That's always super fishy to me when a FI/H/BF/SO pushes towards someone getting a life insurance policy.. Or you could even go and meet with agents and see who you like the best..  Life insurance is a really personal thing, IMO, I wouldn't sign anything with an agent that I didn't feel comfortable with..
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]
    It is my choice. Fi doesn't even know that I'm thinking about it. you have a PM as well
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:88002b52-d8b5-45d1-8222-5ab369f84429">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : Why am I not surprised.. Just google Life Insurance. Get quotes from State Farm, Geico, All State, Farmers.. I feel like Life Insurance is a really personal choice.  Plus I really hope this is your idea, and not your FI.. That's always super fishy to me when a FI/H/BF/SO pushes towards someone getting a life insurance policy.. Or you could even go and meet with agents and see who you like the best..  Life insurance is a really personal thing, IMO, I wouldn't sign anything with an agent that I didn't feel comfortable with..
    I agree
  • edited December 2011
    Kendall-there you go. I'm not playing the "tag you're it" game back and forth making 26 different posts (I find that super annoying). I'll check it again later, and you can do the same.

ETA:spelling
    Photobucket
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:508d8490-1bad-4f2d-8f16-1c0934bbcde2">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kendall-there you go. I'm not playing the "tag you're it" game back and forth making 26 different posts (I find that super annoying). I'll check it again later, and you can do the same. ETA:spelling

FTR that makes me crazy. I come to a post thinking I'll find something of substance and behold, it's Kendall saying "your turn". I find it interesting that after our conversation last week where you were hung ho/moto and all I'm definitely doing it don't worry about me (I know this is a run on sentence) you are questioning joining the Army.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:e283b3a5-69f3-43a4-8332-329e75fcad06">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : FTR that makes me crazy. I come to a post thinking I'll find something of substance and behold, it's Kendall saying "your turn". <strong> I find it interesting that after our conversation last week where you were hung ho/moto and all I'm definitely doing it don't worry about me (I know this is a run on sentence) you are questioning joining the Army.</strong>
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]

That was my point exactly.
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:e283b3a5-69f3-43a4-8332-329e75fcad06">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : FTR that makes me crazy. I come to a post thinking I'll find something of substance and behold, it's Kendall saying "your turn". I find it interesting that after our conversation last week where you were hung ho/moto and all I'm definitely doing it don't worry about me (I know this is a run on sentence) you are questioning joining the Army.
    and last week I didn't have a full time job thatI can be making 6 figures, running my own business by the time I'm 30 or sooner
    edited December 2011
    Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I have learned that so many times in life.
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Sammy. Also, is it a job that you would love or that you are doing for the money? In this economy, jobs can change quickly, salaries can change quickly etc.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:a2548bad-91c2-4a06-9b2d-8e324b36c00a">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Sammy. Also, is it a job that you would love or that you are doing for the money? In this economy, jobs can change quickly, salaries can change quickly etc.
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]
    It was my understanding that she was only enlisting because she had no job, no money, etc. So I'm guessing that's why she's not sure (correct me if I'm wrong this is just what I thought)
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:1f670bdd-55f7-41c0-aee7-b2057b37bf83">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : It was my understanding that she was only enlisting because she had no job, no money, etc. So I'm guessing that's why she's not sure (correct me if I'm wrong this is just what I thought)

The point is that she has been so moto that it's absurd and she up and changes her mind because she has a full time job that will FOR SURE make her 6 figures in the next 10-12 years and she will own her own business.  With our economy the way it is she should not put all her eggs in that basket like that.  Neither of us are saying "don't do it you should go to the military".  We're telling her to have a back up plan because things don't always work out.  What if she hates the job?  What if the company starts doing cut backs?  Being a new employee she'd be one of the first to go. 

I thought I would come to CA and get a job in my field right away.  I have a respiratory therapy degree and also a med admin degree.  The first caters primarily to a different group of people than those that live in CA and the second is a job that can rarely be attained without some level of hospital employment experience.  I put all my eggs in that basket and now I'm working as a seamstress at least until after my officer's board. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:5496f79c-b276-410c-ad56-c17cfc4f770d">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : The point is that she has been so moto that it's absurd and she up and changes her mind because she has a full time job that will FOR SURE make her 6 figures in the next 10-12 years and she will own her own business.  With our economy the way it is she should not put all her eggs in that basket like that.  Neither of us are saying "don't do it you should go to the military".  We're telling her to have a back up plan because things don't always work out.  What if she hates the job?  What if the company starts doing cut backs?  Being a new employee she'd be one of the first to go.  I thought I would come to CA and get a job in my field right away.  I have a respiratory therapy degree and also a med admin degree.  The first caters primarily to a different group of people than those that live in CA and the second is a job that can rarely be attained without some level of hospital employment experience.  I put all my eggs in that basket and now I'm working as a seamstress at least until after my officer's board. 
    I totallly agree not putting your eggs in one basket. Not to mention owning a business in this economy isn't exactly sound. I definitely agree with you
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:a2548bad-91c2-4a06-9b2d-8e324b36c00a">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto Sammy. Also, is it a job that you would love or that you are doing for the money? In this economy, jobs can change quickly, salaries can change quickly etc.
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]
    Its a job I truely love
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:1f670bdd-55f7-41c0-aee7-b2057b37bf83">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : It was my understanding that she was only enlisting because she had no job, no money, etc. So I'm guessing that's why she's not sure (correct me if I'm wrong this is just what I thought)
    Actually that wasn't why I was enlisting. But like I said in my previous post, FI and I made a life changing decision and enlisting might not be right for us anymore
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:5496f79c-b276-410c-ad56-c17cfc4f770d">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : The point is that she has been so moto that it's absurd and she up and changes her mind because she has a full time job that will FOR SURE make her 6 figures in the next 10-12 years and she will own her own business.  With our economy the way it is she should not put all her eggs in that basket like that.  Neither of us are saying "don't do it you should go to the military".  We're telling her to have a back up plan because things don't always work out.  What if she hates the job?  What if the company starts doing cut backs?  Being a new employee she'd be one of the first to go.  I thought I would come to CA and get a job in my field right away.  I have a respiratory therapy degree and also a med admin degree.  The first caters primarily to a different group of people than those that live in CA and the second is a job that can rarely be attained without some level of hospital employment experience.  I put all my eggs in that basket and now I'm working as a seamstress at least until after my officer's board. 

<div>
    </div><div>I'm not putting my eggs in one basket. I said I wasn't sure if I am still enlisting. Thats not a no. Its a maybe</div>
  • frat21frat21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may want to do some research on life insurance policies. There are many types of life insurance and getting the one suited for both of you would need some research.

The first thing to do is to search for life insurance rates. You can try the many different types of whole life insurance calculator that can be found online. Once you are satisifed with rates, you can now make some calls so you can talk to an agent that can assist you.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:f44e060e-9cf2-443b-b813-ec30805509fc">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : Actually that wasn't why I was enlisting. But like I said in my previous post, FI and I made a life changing decision and enlisting might not be right for us anymore
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]
    What was your big decision if you don't mind me asking
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_life-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b7ab5736-bc14-4d95-9182-d3eec9a57268Post:1056ee16-b061-4dd1-9db6-6d0e4bdb5095">Re: Life insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Life insurance? : What was your big decision if you don't mind me asking
    its not something I'm going to post on here
  • ManciniDManciniD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having a life insurance policy certainly does give you peace of mind and security in knowing that if you die, your spouse would not be shackled with a heavy financial burden. When DH and I got married, I already had a life insurance policy and simply had to change the beneficiary to my DH. DH recently got term life insurance through an online life insurance quotes provider. It was a pretty simple process, and because he did it through an aggregator website, he could easily compare life insurance rates, terms and conditions, and financial ratings. He finally ended up getting a fantastic rate despite having a slight heart problem.

Denise
    Disclaimer: I work for AccuQuote and this is my personal opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards