Military Brides
Options

New Knottie with a question about Army duty stations.

Hi! I've been lurking around for a little while looking for wedding ideas. We were planning on waiting until he is out of the service, but he has decided to re-enlist, so it looks like we will be getting married much sooner! 

He has asked me for suggestions on places to request (i know they won't be a guarantee, but it's worth a shot). His MOS is 91B, so it sounds like he could basically go anywhere. What bases have you ladies dealt with? Have you loved them? Hated them? We're looking for a place that would be family friendly as I am going into this marriage with my two children from a previous marriage. 

Re: New Knottie with a question about Army duty stations.

• Options
    elfitcheelfitche member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are Air Force, currently stationed in Anchorage AK. The base here is a Joint base Army/AF (Fort Richardson is the Army base; Elmendorf being the AF base). Alaska is fantastic, and its not all igloos & polar bears! It is probably one of the most family friendly places I have been, its a great community, and offers tons of stuff to do in and out of the city!! I would suggest it to anyone!
  • Options
    amanda1983amanda1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    im over at eielson!! i personally dont like it up here well just winters. but fairbanks and anchorage get different winters. its colder here in fairbanks area then it is in anchorage.
  • Options
    elfitcheelfitche member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yea, its WAAAAAAAAAAAAY colder in Fairbanks. Our average temps are 0-15 degrees. We will usually get a 2-3 week cold snap between December-Jan where the temps get down into the Negatives. But we also get A LOT more snow than Fairbanks. But being stationed in Anchorage is pretty fun. You get the "city" life with a smaller town feel, which is something I absolutely love! Plus just a short drive and you are out of the city and in some of the most beautiful areas!!
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Here is a list of possible places.  They all have their ups and downs.  Some have more ups than downs and vice versa. 
    http://themilitaryzone.com/military_bases.html
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! I couldn't find a good list anywhere!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am an Army wife at Fort Bliss... don't come here.  I personally loved Fort Hood and I also have a very close friend stationed at Fort Carson who loves it there.  They are seriously considering staying in Colorado Springs after he is out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a few friends that are at fort hood and they are very happy there. And I've heard that Carson is amazing. 

Do the units at Hood deploy more than other bases? We've heard something along this line, but I really have no idea. Sorry if this is a really stupid question. I'm still learning.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure if that is the case but my H came home from deployment in Feb '09 and PCSed to Fort Bliss in July '09 so we weren't there for that long.  He is currently in a nondeployable unit but I think it really just depends on where you get stationed and the last time that unit deployed.
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_new-knottie-question-army-duty-stations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:4522f834-42df-44ea-aac6-8994da6a69e9Post:b581344e-5a88-4517-b431-4bcca9490496">Re: New Knottie with a question about Army duty stations.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a few friends that are at fort hood and they are very happy there. And I've heard that Carson is amazing.  Do the units at Hood deploy more than other bases? We've heard something along this line, but I really have no idea. Sorry if this is a really stupid question. I'm still learning.  
    Posted by armygf10[/QUOTE]

Ft Hood is a major base.  Just like any other major base, there are always units rotating in and out of it.  They don't deploy any more than other Regular Army units. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI just graduated from USASMA @ Bliss and I will be moving there Oct 17th!

What are the downsides of Bliss?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try for all that is holy to stay away from Fort Leonard Wood. Spent 9 months in that crap hole and trust me you do not what to live there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards