Catholic Weddings

Does this seem odd to you?

So when we scheduled our ceremony with the priest, he said that 5PM was best.  We aren't having a mass so it should last till 5:30-ish.  Well, I asked about when the florist could come in yesterday and they told me that there is a 4:00 mass that gets out at 4:50 or 5:00!  I'm not so concerned about the flowers as much as my guests getting to the church and being really confused.  I asked if we could move it to 5:30 and they agreed, but now we can't have a receiving line (no biggie).

I just think it's really odd that they didn't think it was an issue to have them back to back. Also, now I'm a little worried that people attending the 6:00 mass will walk into my ceremony.  Has anyone dealt with this? 

Re: Does this seem odd to you?

• edited December 2011
    Just a little.  It depends on the number of people who normally attend that particular Mass.  But, you made the right choice. 
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

i think you'll be ok.  when folks come in for the 6pm, if you arent done, tehy'll see its a wedding adn wont walk in on it.  however, folks DO have the right to attend your wedding ceremony- you cannot prevent people from attending a church service.  For example, the father of the altar boys who served at our Mass attended the entire ceremony (he  had given them a ride there).  however, he sat in the back and it wasnt a big deal.  i honestly couldnt tell you if he came up for communion or not.  i wouldnt have cared either way.

waht i actually find more surprising is that he can do your ceremony in 30 minutes.  even withouth Mass it usually takes more like 45.

• edited December 2011
    Oh, yeah I don't care if random people are there, I just don't want anything disruptive to happen.  Good point though.  He said 30 minutes tops, so we will see.  My cousin's somehow was about 20 min and I remember thinking it was really short.  Maybe we have short homilies in my neck of the woods.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It shouldn't be a problem. My church usually schedules weddings at 3pm, then confession starts at 4 before 5:30 mass. I once almost walked in on the end of a wedding when I was going to confession, but I stopped between the outside doors and the doors to the sanctuary when I realised what was going on. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I'm surprised that they even try to sandwich a wedding between masses. Our Vigil mass is at 5 and my ceremony is at 2. We could probably ask to do 3pm, but we set it at 2 so that's where we'll stay.  Usually I thought they schedule weddings before all masses, etc.
    Crosswalk
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards