Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Photographer booked!

Hi ladies. :)

Last night my husband and I met with the photographer we were most interested in. We both LOVED her gallery and she came super highly recommended from the staff photographer at work (they've shot weddings together) - but we just had to make sure we clicked in person too. And she's a total sweetheart and I think we all hit it off. So, yaaay. :)

Now I just have to figure out when I can come to town to eat myself sick on cake samples... so many bakeries, so little time, and I am a serious cake snob so this is important to me!

As always, thank you all for your help and suggestions. I felt a lot more confident meeting with her to talk about photography because talking to you guys gave me half a clue what I was doing.

Re: Photographer booked!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats!  Who is it?

Also, if you are a cake snob (and have a cake snob budget), check out Elena's Cakes.  They are seriously delicious.  I really loved her cake -- she didn't really "get" our nerd vibe, though, so we went with someone else.  Ooh, I am hungry just thinking of her apple butter cake.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:2193e237-6e7b-4c5b-ac40-0c60a3ce72e3Post:366a7fc3-119d-42ab-8171-b56f98053fbe">Re: Photographer booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats!  Who is it? Also, if you are a cake snob (and have a cake snob budget), check out Elena's Cakes.  They are seriously delicious.  I really loved her cake -- she didn't really "get" our nerd vibe, though, so we went with someone else.  Ooh, I am hungry just thinking of her apple butter cake.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

She's local to Austin and just starting to do weddings on her own. Her name is Ashley DiPasquale. Her website's still kind of a work in progress, but you can see it here:
    <a href="http://67.23.246.151/~ashpp/index2.php#/home/" rel='nofollow'>http://67.23.246.151/~ashpp/index2.php#/home/</a>

(My husband says he doesn't have any opinions about anything, but when we were looking through photographer galleries, he pointed at hers and said "This one. I really like her style." And I agree.)

Thanks for the Elena's Cakes suggestion! I'll add that to the list. So far I'm considering these:
    Society Bakery
    Panini Bakery
    Tabitha Ballard
    Radford Cakes
    Mozart Bakery

I went by Society to get cupcakes after we looked at our venue (since it's seriously JUST DOWN THE ROAD) and I was beyond excited to try them from everything I'd heard and everything I read - but although they had the best icing I've ever had, their chocolate cupcakes were all pretty dry. :( I'm going to give them another try because I so badly wanted them to be the one...

I contacted Tabitha Ballard and she is actually coming to Austin for an event in February so she might bring cake to us to try, which would be super convenient and awesome! I've heard good things about her.
  • edited December 2011
    Ooh, Panini is who we used and we totally loved them.  The cake was delicious, Sophie is a total sweetheart, and the price was amazing.
    Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I think that Panini is #2 on my list based on your review and a recommendation from my mom's friend - they sound DELICIOUS. I like that they do a very small number of flavors but they do those flavors very, very well.

I don't have their pricing, though. Would you mind telling me what your price per serving was so I have a ballpark idea? If not, that's okay, but it would be helpful. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I really can't remember.  I think, in the end, it came to around $2.60/slice.  She got that edible paper for the groom's cake for free, though.  =)
    Anniversary

• laurencstelaurencste member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:2193e237-6e7b-4c5b-ac40-0c60a3ce72e3Post:366a7fc3-119d-42ab-8171-b56f98053fbe">Re: Photographer booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats!  Who is it? Also, if you are a cake snob (and have a cake snob budget), check out Elena's Cakes.  They are seriously delicious.  I really loved her cake -- she didn't really "get" our nerd vibe, though, so we went with someone else.  Ooh, I am hungry just thinking of her apple butter cake.

We used Elena!  She did our grooms cake and our wedding cake.  BEST WEDDING CAKE EVAR.  I still have some in our freezer and we are eating it bit by bit.

Elena's cakes taste a lot like Society, but not quite as sugary in the frosting, which I enjoyed.
  • angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Society's cupcakes can be a bit dry.  As a general rule, cupcakes are generally drier than a full cake, but I know Society is quite expensive for wedding cakes.  I do love them though!  Their icing sets the bar -- no one does icing better.

TBH, Tabitha Ballard's cakes were more on the dry side as well.  I'm a complete cake snob, so I feel you!  Honestly, Cake Guys was the best cake that we tasted and we tried a LOT of cake vendors...and they turned out to be by far the most affordable for the number of guests we had with their Sweet Inspirations packages.  Their cake was very moist, had a nice density to it (not too light, not too heavy), and the flavor was great.  GL in your search!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I just did the math on the numbers that Society gave me vs. the other numbers I'm getting - they really are expensive, aren't they? But they're just so convenient and I LOVED their icing so much (it was totally not too sweet for me, wonder what that says about me...). I was thinking about scheduling a cake tasting with them just to see if they were less dry.

For Cake Guys, I just don't want a great big fancy cake like theirs, no fake tiers ... just simple but delicious cake for 75 people. So I'm kind of scared of their cakes.

I really appreciate the input from a fellow cake snob, though! It's good to hear your opinion of Tabitha Ballard's cakes. I've heard really good things but I'm also snobbier than most people. I baked my mom's wedding cakes and I have a new little cottage bakery business myself, so I'm really picky about cake...

Did you try Panini or Radford when you were sampling cakes?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:2193e237-6e7b-4c5b-ac40-0c60a3ce72e3Post:a5f05f87-d28d-46cd-8390-898bdd1329ab">Re: Photographer booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just did the math on the numbers that Society gave me vs. the other numbers I'm getting - they really are expensive, aren't they? But they're just so convenient and I LOVED their icing so much (it was totally not too sweet for me, wonder what that says about me...). I was thinking about scheduling a cake tasting with them just to see if they were less dry. For Cake Guys, I just don't want a great big fancy cake like theirs, no fake tiers ... just simple but delicious cake for 75 people. So I'm kind of scared of their cakes. I really appreciate the input from a fellow cake snob, though! It's good to hear your opinion of Tabitha Ballard's cakes. I've heard really good things but I'm also snobbier than most people. I baked my mom's wedding cakes and I have a new little cottage bakery business myself, so I'm really picky about cake... Did you try Panini or Radford when you were sampling cakes?
    Posted by selie22[/QUOTE]

I don't think Society's icing is too sweet either... BUT, I did grow up with a grandma and a mom who bake constantly, so sugary sweets were always in the house.

I'll shoot you a PM here in just a bit regarding some of the other places we tried that you might be interested in. :)
  • livelovelclivelovelc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to hop on this thread too because I am definitely a cake snob and I haven't gotten around to choosing my bakery yet!

Glad to hear about Elena's, as I hadn't put them on my short list. I'm also thinking of Panini Bakery and Aston's. Has anyone used Aston's? There's also a bakery in McKinney that my mom wants me to try but the name escapes me...
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not 100% sure how PMs work here, but I would very much welcome any cake info you can give me! I am so excited about the cake and I suspect I'll need a number of tastings (it's a huge relief to know I'm not the only one, at least).
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:2193e237-6e7b-4c5b-ac40-0c60a3ce72e3Post:fa066939-e1e1-493f-846f-e16d583bdf82">Re: Photographer booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not 100% sure how PMs work here, but I would very much welcome any cake info you can give me! I am so excited about the cake and I suspect I'll need a number of tastings (it's a huge relief to know I'm not the only one, at least).

It's okay -- just look in the bar on the left side of your page.  Scroll down the page until you see "Private Messages" and just click on that.  My PM should be there waiting for you.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:2193e237-6e7b-4c5b-ac40-0c60a3ce72e3Post:87a69edd-74bf-47a1-a556-f949c6da4967">Re: Photographer booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to hop on this thread too because I am definitely a cake snob and I haven't gotten around to choosing my bakery yet! Glad to hear about Elena's, as I hadn't put them on my short list. I'm also thinking of Panini Bakery and Aston's. Has anyone used Aston's? There's also a bakery in McKinney that my mom wants me to try but the name escapes me...
    Posted by livelovelc[/QUOTE]

Oh, I think I know what you're talking about.  Is it Sweet Art Bakery?  My coordinator is really good friends with the owner there.  That's about all I know.
    Anniversary

• livelovelclivelovelc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes! It's Sweet Art Bakery. We were looking at the McKinney Flour Mill as a venue and apparently Sweet Art is right next to it? My mom and grandmother said the bakery "smelled really good" and the cakes looked nice. Haha. I think it's going on the list to try! I'm hoping to come up in January to do some tasting myself but I might have to have my mom go for me. I'd hate to miss out on the best part of wedding planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, cake tasting is definitely the best part.  The lady who owns it is really nice, we just could never set a time to meet.

Interesting note: Last night I learned there is a Society Bakery inside Medical City Hospital.
    Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:2193e237-6e7b-4c5b-ac40-0c60a3ce72e3Post:97c3d3fb-c442-4944-a0b3-9ea26a33a70e">Re: Photographer booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, cake tasting is definitely the best part.  The lady who owns it is really nice, we just could never set a time to meet. Interesting note: <strong>Last night I learned there is a Society Bakery inside Medical City Hospital.</strong>

There is. :)  It's not as good as the one on Greenville, though... or at least that's what I've heard.  I haven't eaten there myself.  If I'm over that way we go to Creme de la Cookie in Snyder Plaza.  They don't have cupcakes but their cookies and cakeballs are.amazing.  *drool*
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_photographer-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:2193e237-6e7b-4c5b-ac40-0c60a3ce72e3Post:a5f05f87-d28d-46cd-8390-898bdd1329ab">Re: Photographer booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just did the math on the numbers that Society gave me vs. the other numbers I'm getting - they really are expensive, aren't they? But they're just so convenient and I LOVED their icing so much (it was totally not too sweet for me, wonder what that says about me...). I was thinking about scheduling a cake tasting with them just to see if they were less dry. For Cake Guys, I just don't want a great big fancy cake like theirs, no fake tiers ... just simple but delicious cake for 75 people. So I'm kind of scared of their cakes. I really appreciate the input from a fellow cake snob, though! It's good to hear your opinion of Tabitha Ballard's cakes. I've heard really good things but I'm also snobbier than most people. I baked my mom's wedding cakes and I have a new little cottage bakery business myself, so I'm really picky about cake... Did you try Panini or Radford when you were sampling cakes?

I think Cake Guys is the bakery that has a "Sweet Inspirations" package, which are simpler cakes with fewer designs so they're more affordable. Did you look around on their website?
    I'm pretty sure I ate a Knottie's wedding cake from there, and it was delicious!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards