Louisiana-New Orleans

Room blocks at hotels which charge a fee for deliverying OOT gift bags?

Hi there,

I was wondering how others have dealt with this.  We will have over 100 guests from out of town, and we planned to prepare gift bags to leave in their hotel rooms. However, it seems like a lot of hotels are charging a fee to deliver the bags.  We were considering the Ritz and Iberville Suites as the two hotel options, but apparently they charge a $5 fee PER BAG.  So with 60 rooms spread across the two hotels, this is an additional $300.  I am feeling kind of annoyed about this - it seems very customer-unfriendly, but then I heard a lot of hotels do it. 

Anyone else had to deal with this?  Were you able to negotiate this away?

Thanks.

Re: Room blocks at hotels which charge a fee for deliverying OOT gift bags?

• edited December 2011
    I had room blocks at the Ritz and Iberville and didn't know about the bag fee until we were planning welcome bags.  Since we were traveling from OOT too, putting bags together was not an easy task.  After hearing about the fee, we decided to just create a welcome booklet to be distributed to each guest upon check-in.  This option is free.  We included a letter welcoming everyone, contact numbers, restaurant/entertainment recommendations and a map along with the weekend itinerary.  In hindsight, we probably could have been more generous and included drink tickets, or something similar inside.  I felt bad not having welcome bags, but we were so busy I don't even know how we would have put them together.  Something to think about!
  • edited December 2011
    we did not incur any fees at the marriott on canal, the W French Quarter , and the windsor court. The only place that tried to charge us $3 for delivery was the Sheraton on canal.

• edited December 2011
    We mailed a welcome packet 2 weeks before the wedding with a welcome letter, things to do, maps, places to eat, cell #s and an itinerary.  That way they could make reservations, etc.  They loved it!! 

We also had a custom map drawn/painted by Robyn Love on Etsy- she sends you the jpeg and you can print it at your local printer (I used Kinkos) here is a link:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/43252820/watercolor-wedding-map-diy-print-at-home

• edited December 2011
    Does anyone know if there is a fee at the Omni?
  • TurWalkTurWalk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are looking at the Omni for our ceremony and reception and yes there is a $3 fee for delivering OOT bags.  Not sure yet how I'll get around this.
  • tmwhitleytmwhitley member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too used Iberville and the Ritz but I was staying there as well and between me, my friends and family, I was able to hand deliver most of them which was actually fun. Obviously because of this, not everyone got a bag but most did.
  • janderson0004janderson0004 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think there is a way around the charge at the Omni. Some hotels will agree to give the bags when the guests check in for free, but I don't know if they are guaranteed.
  • cm10/10cm10/10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Intercontinental has a $3 fee.  I think that should be free with so many rooms booked IMO.  Uh- I'm giving you 80-100 guests for at LEAST 3 nights in your hotel- hand them my damn gift bag!!!!  ok vent over.
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone know if the Royal Sonesta charges for this? I already booked them for my room block.
  • edited December 2011

Hmmm after hearing all of this, I might check out W French Q and Windsor Court for our room blocks instead, since julsie986 says they didn't pay fees there.  Really bummed because I loved the idea of everyone being able to stay in the same building with the Ritz and Iberville, but the $5 bag fee is just downright insulting. 

• marleemillermarleemiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At the Intercontinental they charge to deliver the bag to the room, but if all of your bags are the same they do not charge you to just hand them to the guests when they check-in so that's what we are doing. The Montelone also has a $3 charge to deliver the bags to the room, but because not that many of our guests are staying there I am just going to hand deliver the welcome bags to them. If you want delivery to the room then you will most likely have to pay but if you are OK with the bags being handed out at check in then you should be able to get around the fee.
  • bmfraziebmfrazie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for all the details!  I had not even thought about this so I will be checking on this for sure when I go to set up our Hotel Block. 
  • kerica3kerica3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards