Florida-West Coast

Cake help

Ok ladies I need your help..

I was planning on getting my cake at Publix because I love their cake and I thought I would save some money.... I got a rude awakening today when they quoted me twice as much as I had planed on paying.

Who are you using for your cake? How much are you paying? What kind of cake are you getting? How many tiers? What kind of frosting? etc....

I need a cake for approx 150-175 people and want 3 or 4 tiers.

The stress is setting in Undecided

HELP!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Planning Bio
Wedding Website
199image 155image 44image 0image
RSVP by September 22, 2010

Re: Cake help

• edited December 2011
    Laurie at A Piece of Cake.  http://www.cakestampa.com/

You could order a cake at Publix and don't mention it's for a wedding.  You can buy sugar flowers (or real flowers) and put them on the cake yourself.  I can't remember the name, but there's a bakery on Kennedy near Dale Mabry and they sell the sugar flowers individually.  Maybe someone on here could help.
  • edited December 2011
    I got my wedding cake from publix and it was delicious
    Married 11/08/08 TTC since 2009 MC 3/22/10 at 9w4d MC 7/20/10 at 6w5d Homeowners since 2/24/11 BFP Father's Day 6/19/11 Pregnancy Ticker Psalm 139:13,15-16 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb... You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
  • NicoleB331NicoleB331 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about doing a smaller cake and then sheet cakes in the back for your guests? I've seen some brides do a cupcake wedding cake which could come out less than a traditional tiered cake.
    Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.-Voltaire image
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I suggest what cjohnson said.  When you call or meet to get a quote, DO NOT mention anything about a wedding.  I would call another local Publix and just explain you want a white (or whatever color) cake, with X tiers and see what the price is compared to what you were quoted.  You can say it's an anniversary cake or something like that.  But, unfortunately you will pay twice as much as soon as they hear "wedding".  It's a shame...GL!
    Brooke + Chavis
    est. 10/10/10

Photobucket CafeMom Tickers
  • babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ma using Olympia.. and the cake is included in theri package. I know they do them on the side and use to be just abakery before they got into the whole catering side of things.
  • blseveranceblseverance member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding cake was actually included in the price of my reception and contracted out through a baker they use.. However, I'm getting a groom's cake that's not included and just paying out of pocket. I thought, for what I wanted, I was given a very reasonable price. Chantilly Cakes is charging me 150 for a carved groom's cake, in the shape of a laptop.. as well as some carved chocolate pieces. You might try checking them out!
  • ValeryValery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cake was included with Amici's catering and they outsource they cake, like other brides mentioned. We went with Laurie and Piece of Cake. She is so relaxed and amazing flavors of cake. We love her. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards