Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How do I handle smokers?

Need help!

I am an non smoker and can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke.  The majority of our freinds/family are non smokers as well.  Our venue allows smoking in designated areas only. 

Originally I was going to say that the venue was non smoking, but I know people "sneak off" to go smoke so that option is out.  Plus I don't want them smoking in places the venue doesn't allow.

How to I nicely tell people that I prefer that they not smoke at all but if they must it will only be in designated areas?  Any ideas?

Re: How do I handle smokers?

• This makes me glad I live in a state that has pretty much made it so that you can only smoke in your own home now.

Anyway, does the venue have any sort of no smoking sign posted?  Or any sign that designates the smoking area?  If so, I would assume people can figure it out on their own.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If the venue has designated places for smoking, they'll have signs.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• You don't.  If they're smoking in an area where smoking is not permitted, it's the responsibility of the venue's employees to let them know.  If you do, you're just going to come off like an overbearing nanny. 

Not your job.  Let the people whose job it is take care of it.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I live in California-it's almost illegal to smoke anywhere but your home.  Hopefully that will be the case soon!  LOL!

Thanks for the advice.  You are right; it isn't my job.  However, I didn't notice any signs that said no smoking.  It was in our contract though.

On our website I did include "Venue has restricted smoking areas."  Is that appropriate?
  • Honestly, I don't think I'd draw attention to it.  You've already said that the majority of your guests are non-smokers so you might be making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Most smokers are accustomed to having to find the designated smoking area, especially if you live in California.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    I'm from NJ, and I love the fact that you pretty much can't smoke anywhere here either.

At my venue, people were only allowed to smoke outside. Since I'm in a state where it's not allowed indoors anywhere, everybody knew they had to go to the parking lot if they needed a cigarette.

I'm not a smoker, but especially in an area where there are lots of restrictions on it, I'd like to think your guests are smart enough to figure this out without any help.  And if they need a smoke that badly and can't figure it out for some reason, they can always ask somebody that's working there where to go.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • I'll be the first to admit that I'm a smoker. Embarassed  Most smokers (at least the courteous ones) know to locate a smoking area before just lighting up.  Even if there's a 'smoking area', I tend to go to the farthest location possible (like, the very, very back of a parking lot) before smoking.  It's just rude to do otherwise. 
  • most of our guests are nonsmokers as well but since we're getting married at a historical site they were very strict about the non-smoking policy so I just put a note on our website in the guest information section saying there was no smoking on site and that our dj (who is a friend and smoker who volunteered to help) would be able to tell people where to go nearby if they wanted to smoke... also the venue has security who will be around to tell people if they catch them smoking in places they shouldn't... bol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a non smoker and I think it would be rude of you to tell the smokers they can't smoke. it's hard for them not to. With that said I think generally the smokers know to look for a designated area with an ash tray.  If they smoke in a non designated area then I'm sure the staff at your reception will say something because they can get in trouble.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aaahhhh i love living in mass. i dont have to deal with this.
    Anniversary
  • Why on earth are you worrying about this? Most of your guests are non-smokers. Unless your friends are complete idiots, those who do smoke are accustomed to finding an approrpriate place to do so. No problem.

What WOULD be rude is this: How to I nicely tell people that I prefer that they not smoke at all but if they must it will only be in designated areas? 
  • Most smokers know the rules in their state and will find places where it is allowed. Ask your venue ahead of time where it is ok. If it's a parking lot, I'm sure they supply appropriate containers as this probably comes up every time they have events.

I wouldn't mention it.
  • you cannot tell guests "I would rather you not smoke at all." of course you would. that is how most all nonsmokers feel... unless they have been smokers before [I was a smoker for 8+ years, but quit about 7 months ago]. smoking is not something people can just decide not to do for the evening... like 'oh, she doesn't want me to, so I'll just not smoke until tomorrow.' it's an addiction. worse than heroin. so let it go. smokers are going to smoke until they decide to quit for themselves [not for you. and fyi: the more you bug them about it, the more they will smoke just because you pissed them off]. smokers are not retarded. they will look for the smoking areas. however, I see no problem with a polite mention on your website of looking for smoking areas.

• I'm going to have to echo PPs.  I hate the smell of smoke and I hate it more now that I'm pregnant.

BUT, it's not your call to request that guests not smoke at all.

Our venue was non smoking as well and I don't recall signs (as it's also state law in CT).  The smokers went outside to designated areas and I didn't smell a thing.

Trust me, on your wedding day, you won't be thinking about this at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards