Wedding Party

HUGE Family...Don't want a circus

I am having trouble deciding who I want in my wedding party. My sister is obvi! However, I have many younger cousins who are VERY close to me. I want them in the wedding somehow, but I don't want 3 jr bridesmaids etc.

Are there other roles for elementary children to play? If so what? Ages range from 5 to 14.

Re: HUGE Family...Don't want a circus

• Usually FG or ring bearer. Don't feel pressured to include them though. Just invite them as guests.

If you lurk on these boards long enough, you will see that actually being invited is a big honor for kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was in the same boat--I am one of 17 cousins.  Many are in the same age range as yours.  We just decided not to ask all of them.  We made sure we took crazy photos, danced with them, and paid them attention.  Had we made up jobs for them, not only would it have been a logistical nightmare, they would have known they were given jobs, rather than being honored.

In a family as big as ours, we all understood that you can't be included in everything.   We have all sat in the audience at family weddings at one time or another, and no one has held a grudge as a result.  Hopefully that mentality is also true in your family.  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Well, if you don't want a huge wedding party, don't include everyone. I think it might benefit you to ask them what they want to do. At 5, flowergirl/ring bearer might sound like the greatest thing ever. At 14? Who knows. It depends on the attitude of the child.

I think it would be best for you to just ask and not stick them with something they don't want.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the ideas! I can't imagine my wedding without kids!

Laughing
  • Not everyone has to have a position.  Also keep in mind that the larger the WP the larger the expense.  Take your budget into account as well.
  • I'd invite them all, and be sure to have a wonderful photo taken of the B&G with all the kids.  And then just let them enjoy themselves.  It will be more fun for them, and easier for you.

Remember:  that for each person you add to a WP or ceremony, the costs increase exponentially:  gifts, flowers, hair, etc.  That might also help you make up your mind.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Great ideas! I think you are right about giving jobs! I want them to be included not my little workers:)

14 could be an usher, the others possible just pictures and attention!
  • OP, im in the same boat, i posted a similar question here:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_many-kiddos

i think we decided to have 1 RB, (my fave nephew) and 1(or 3) flowergirls.
    we realized that the middle aged kids wont feel left out unless the older kids are included also.
    if we decide on only 1 FG it will be the youngest neice (other than the 1 yr old)

my sister who is 11 will be a jr BM or train carrier, havent decided which yet.
    10-10 siggy favorite summer picture Image and video hosting by TinyPic http://hiscb.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards