New York-New York City

NWR: Allergy Doctor Recs?

I am in need of a new allergy doctor, because I have HAD it with mine!  I went today for a 9am appointment and arrived to find the nurse and receptionist standing outside, because no one had come with a key to open the office.  As of 9:20, still standing outside.  I had a 9am appointment, why wasn't the doctor there?!  By the time I left 2 more patients and another nurse had shown up and still no doctor.  Similar occurrences have happened before and I don't have time to deal with it!

So if anyone has a good allergy doctor and wants to pass it on, let me know!

TIA

Re: NWR: Allergy Doctor Recs?

• cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dr. Lighvani
    186 East 76th St. 212.517.3300
  • kttestkttest member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    what borough are you looking for? i have been going to Dr. Adimoolam in bay ridge, Brooklyn on 100th Street and Fort Hamilton Parkway for years and he is great. he also has an office in staten island.
  • kttestkttest member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jane.  I'm in Queens and work in Manhattan.  Brooklyn and SI would be tough. :(
  • edited December 2011
    I went to Dr. Chandler and loved him.  He diagnosed a problem that no one else could and he takes the time to really listen to me (huge pet peeve when doc's don't!) then he records notes in front of you to make sure he heard you correctly.  I felt like a person with him and not just a time slot - if that makes sense.

Ok, that being said, I have another doctor for you to check out - an accupuncturist.  I saw Dr. Hsu on Oprah (he treated her on the show) and found out that he took my insurance.  I was having a problem with my neck and thought he might be able to realive the tension with accupuncture.  I didn't really believe in it, but after seeing the show and finding out that it was covered by my insurance I decided to try it.  He spent about an hour with me discussing my medical history.  He asked what my primary problems were and I said acid reflux and allergies.  I took meds as needed, but that was either every day or every other day.  If I go three days I was in big enough trouble that I had to stop what I was doing and rush to the pharmacy to get meds.  The acid reflux made it hard for me to swallow and I was miserable.  So, anyway, I had my first treatment, thinking it was for my neck.  (It didn't hurt, and was very relaxing, btw).  Within the next week I realized that I didn't need to take my meds anymore!!!  Couldn't believe it.  Didn't put two and two together, though, so next time I went in I told Dr. Hsu and he said "well, yeah, that's what I'm treating you for"  Had NO idea - I was totally off all meds for almost 2 years.  AND he takes insurance  AND it was so relaxing it was my favorite part of the week : )  At times in the beginning I decided to stop seeing him, but my problems always came back.  But now I don't see him anymore and rarely need meds.  I would still see him, but I don't live or work in nyc anymore.   He's absolutely terrific!  His website is:  www.nyacuhealth.com. His number is 212.888.6988

Good luck!
  • kttestkttest member
    edited December 2011
    Wow, really?  I had no idea acupuncture could be used to treat allergies!  That's awesome that it worked so well!  I'll have to look into that, thanks!
  • jbwed1jbwed1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been going to Dr. Boyan Hadjiev at the recommendation of my nutritionist (for other allergy issues) for over a year. He's been EXCELLENT - extremely flexible in getting me in when I need to come in on short notice and also when I have to cancel (i go once a week for allergy shots.) He's very knowledgeable, has a great bedside manner, and is efficient and caring. He's pretty much replaced my regular doctor b/c he is way more available and easier to reacy. Here's the website: http://www.drsneeze.com/
    I've actually been waiting for someone to ask me this question...that's how badly I want to recommend him to someone haha
  • edited December 2011
    Dr. Stephen Simonte in TriBeCa. LOVE him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards