Missouri-St Louis

Choosing between photographers

Hello! 

We're planning a fall 2013 wedding here in STL and I'm having a hard time with photography. From the very beginning, I said photography was important to me. We found a photographer that we love who quoted us at around $2000...this includes unlimited wedding day photos, two photographers (might try to get her to only use 1 to save money), an engagement shoot and a disc with our pictures/right to our photos. She's super talented and her pictures are so unique, soft and catch the best moments from weddings.

On the other hand, my second cousin is a photographer...but she does it as a hobby, not as a profession. Her pictures are good, but they're not amazing like the first. The only problem is...she would be free. We're working within a $15,000 budget which may sound like a good amount, but we're expecting about 250 people to attend, so we'd like to save where we can. 

So the question is - splurge on the amazing photographer who is guaranteed to be great? Or, ask my cousin to do our photographer for free?

Re: Choosing between photographers

• I'd splurge.  Photos are what lasts when the day is over.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Thanks so much for your input! It's so hard to think of it in terms of dollars, but having pictures we treasure will really be priceless, five, ten, fifteen and fifty years later when we look back on them to show our future children/grandchildren and simply relive the memory!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-st-louis_choosing-between-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:87Discussion:4638e6fb-7f5a-4ada-a591-ef09ce73b476Post:c2dee7cf-2f6c-4fb4-bd7d-376828febce5">Choosing between photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello!  We're planning a fall 2013 wedding here in STL and I'm having a hard time with photography. From the very beginning, I said photography was important to me. We found a photographer that we love who quoted us at around $2000...this includes unlimited wedding day photos, two photographers (might try to get her to only use 1 to save money), an engagement shoot and a disc with our pictures/right to our photos. She's super talented and her pictures are so unique, soft and catch the best moments from weddings. On the other hand, my second cousin is a photographer...but she does it as a hobby, not as a profession. Her pictures are good, but they're not amazing like the first. The only problem is...she would be free. We're working within a $15,000 budget which may sound like a good amount, but we're expecting about 250 people to attend, so we'd like to save where we can.  So the question is - splurge on the amazing photographer who is guaranteed to be great? Or, ask my cousin to do our photographer for free?
    Posted by gbladdic[/QUOTE]

I would splurge as well.  I said the same thing when it came to photography.. it's the only thing that you will have forever.  Also, depending on the relationship that you and your cousin have, the last thing you would want to happen would be for you to be unhappy about something and not be able to say anything.
  • Hi, my name is Jennifer.  
    I am a photographer & I would love to give you some advice:
    1. If you love the look of the photos from the $2,000 photographer, keep her website handy & give whichever photographer you hire the information.  Most work you see is with touch-ups & Photoshop. (I personally, am more of photo journalist. Which means, I capture moments as they happen - interactions & emotions. And then we have portrait time.)
    2.  I always ask, "What do you want in the background of your photo?" It's going to be on display for years! But ultimately, it's your faces together that will matter the most.
    2. Know what YOU want your photos to look like.
    You are hiring us - but it truly is your personality, your reactions as a couple, smiles, kisses that is the focus during our time together.
    3.  Free & family isn't "best".... As a professional, we strive to photograph every day. I'm not afraid to tell a grown man twice my size to stand up straight, turn on the side or spit out the gum. 
    4. Look at as many photography websites as you can - log the poses or looks you want in your own photos. Then check the local photographer websites & see what matches your style.
    5. Do you want a photo booth to have portraits of your attending guests so you can look back & see all your guests smiling?
    6. Meet with your photographer several times while you're planning your wedding. Your personalities need to compliment one another & you need to feel like you're with "a close friend" for the day - one who will tell you when you have food stuck in your teeth, & yet keep you relaxed... & smiling.  
     - Sunday Feb. 24, 2013, Engaged at the Foundry Art Center - bridal show - 12-4pm
    http://www.perfectweddingguide.com

(o: Congratulations & best wishes on your upcoming marriage. :o)
  • Me personally i would make the professional photographer come down on her package price minus the 2nd camara man and bring in ur cuzon fir the 2nd shot photographer for free and that way u save an still get the same amount of pictures. Just have will be professional so to speak and who knows ur cuzin just might out shoot ur pro with feelings and love behind every shot. So I say do both its ur day and that way u can't go wrong!!? Good luck and congratulations.
  • I agreeagree, splurge! I don't like to mix business with pleasure either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards