Destination Weddings Discussions

Tiny, mini freakout but PIP :D

Ugh. I'm having one of those "second guess yourself moments" and I'm seriously wondering if it was a mistake to book for early October in Jamaica. When we went for our planning trip, it was super, duper quiet and some restaurants on the resort are closed because it's off season, but I liked the quiet, especially for the honeymoon.

I'm just worried now that the people that come to the wedding are going to have a bad time because it's so quiet and there's not a whole lot to do (except swim with dolphins! and golf) besides chillin on the beach or in your hotel room. But I do think they have off-resort excursions to other places on the island.

...and I'm terrified it's going to rain. There was a bride getting married when we were there and it thundered really bad the morning/afternoon of her wedding, but by the time the evening rolled around, it was perfect sunsets for her ceremony.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Also, I found a potential contender for my dress!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Tiny, mini freakout but PIP :D

• Way to post all over the board hahahah
    I love your dress. I understand the weather fear, I have that a lot too... weather is a little more predictable in Sept at our resort than some other months, but I have had many a nightmare of a total storm on our wedding day lol
  • hahaha i know right. ugh TK was being all screwy this morning. my bad >.> lol my post kept disappearing, so now you just have the joy of reading my post 3 times :D haha
  • I am worried about the same thing...it will be rainy season in Costa Rica and it usually rains in the late afternoon. We are getting married at 4:30 because we wanted to do it at sunset followed by dinner !!!

We have reserved a tent for the beach just in case of the rain.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's beautiful!! I think everything will be fine with the resort. Most people will be there to see you and your FI get married and if they do have downtime, will probably want to relax on the beach or spend some time to themselves anyways. The off-resort excursions will still be going on so they will have that option. 

And with the weather, that's not something that you can control so just don't worry about it... and if it does rain on your wedding day, I've heard that means good luck! :)
    ~*~ Ask me about DW Knottie of the Day and Nestie of the Day! ~*~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beautiful dress! I sure it will be a beautiful day on your wedding day.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • LOVE the dress!!!

I just got a text from my best friend in response to one I sent her freaking out about the wedding and everything I have to do.  Her reply.... "everything you are worried about will not even matter."  I think we all need to hear that from time to time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like your dress.  It looks great on you.

I always find the things I worry most about work out in the end and I stressed myself out for nothing!
    imageAnniversary
  • As far as the weather goes, October is the end of hurrican season.  I think there was 1 or 2 hurricanes that came through, and it's very rare to get them that late.  If it rains make sure you have a backup plan.

The dress is GORGEOUS!!!

It looks like there is plenty to do there, your guests are going to have a great time.  You're providing a place for them to vacation, it's up to them to decide if they're going to have a good time or not.
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about your guests.  They're adults and they'll find ways to entertain themselves.  Laying on a beach sounds just fine to me and I wish we had done that MORE during our wedding.

Your dress is gorgeous.  I wish I could have made it bigger to see the details.  You'll glow all day long for sure in it.

I thought about rain a lot and made a back up plan.  Then I worried about my back up plan because I hated to think about going all that way to be married inside a hotel that I could have done locally.  In the end, we can't control it and just have to make peace with it.  It stormed something terrible the entire evening before during our welcome dinner. I kept thinking about what that would mean for our wedding. There was also thick smoke from wildfires in the area depending on which way the wind blew.  It was nerve-racking.  It cleared for our wedding but was nearly miserably hot instead. Mother nature is fickle. ;) Try your best to put it out of your mind. At the end of the day, either way, you'll be married and that's most important. 

Also, my photographers agreed to shoot pictures later that same week on the beach if our wedding had been rained out so we would still get some great shots.  You might look into that if it helps you feel better about it too.
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • OMG I love your dress!!!!! It is gorgeous! 

I understand your worry but honestly I think a less crowded resort could be a plus.  My sister got married in September and the resort in mexico was pretty empty.  Everyone in our group loved it because we never had any trouble with dinner reservations or finding chairs at the pool and beach!

And like ms_teach said rain makes for some really pretty pictures and if I emember correctly rain on your wedding day is good luck. Laughing It rained the entire week of our engagement pictures and the day of, but they came out fabulous.  The photographers were also excited because of the rain beause it creates such great lighting. 

Our Wedding- June 15, 2012- Jamaica
    imageAnniversary

Samantha's Bio~Updated 5/15/12

DW Siggy Website
  • Thye dress looks great!

Stop worrying about everything you are worrying about. You can't control any of it, so it's not worth stressing over.  No matter what time you book, there could be guests who don't like it.  Also no matter when you book, you have  no control over the weather.  Take a few deep breaths and let it all go.  It doesn't really matter.  What really matters is at the end of the day you will be married to the man you love.  
  • Very true ladies. Thanks for all the advice :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards