New Jersey

Fill-in for wedding- how much to give?

Hey, my husband's good friends kid brother needs more wedding guests.  We think we are going to go because he asked us. How much would you put in the card? (Friday evening at Seasons)

Re: Fill-in for wedding- how much to give?

• cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

IMO, $150

• edited December 2011
    I always give $150pp - so $300 as a couple, but maybe less since ur fill ins
  • edited December 2011

At a minimum, I always give at least $300 - but since you are add-on's and not that close, I'd probably give $200.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you would give DH friend 300 I would give less. So I would take 100 off and give 200. I figure that they would have paid weather u went or not. So anything would be good.
  • altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree, normally i'd give 300 (150pp) but since you guys are a last minute fill in 200 is perfectly acceptable. See nothing wrong with a B list hahaha (I know Im gonna get reamed for that one LOL)
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow, guess I haven't been giving enough as a wedding guest? We normally give $200 to $250 as a couple, depending on who it is ($300 only if it is a super close friend or relative, like a sister or brother). If we gave $300 for every wedding we went to last year, we'd be broke!! lol

• edited December 2011
    I usually give $250 - $300 depending on the person regardless if its just me or if I'm with my fiance. I consider it a gift to help someone start their lives together. In the long run, if I was invited to their wedding, i'd probably buy them $150 worth of drinks at the bar in the course of our lifetime.
  • maddie7maddie7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, usually $300 is the gift, but we are doing them a favor.  I had 2 fill-ins at my wedding and they gave $100 per person.  Thanks for your help!
  • edited December 2011
    Do you know that my fiance and I have never ever been to a wedding together?  He's only been to one, and I've only been to one, and they were before we met! We're the first of our friends to get married, so this post was really helpful to know A. what to do in the future and B. what to expect in November!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $250 is our standard, I think $200 for the both of you would be fine.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_fill-wedding-much-give?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:7d857855-67f8-4f44-bd55-66449cc12303Post:02df56fc-99d7-4e7c-8604-3a3851c0290d">Re: Fill-in for wedding- how much to give?</a>:
    [QUOTE]$250 is our standard, I think $200 for the both of you would be fine.
    Posted by kristen8040[/QUOTE]
    ok... at least I'm not the only one who gives less than $300
  • Babycakes SEBabycakes SE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We usually always give $200, $250-$300 if we know they are getting ready to buy a house or something big coming up.

image 291 Invited
    image 140 Ready to Party image 14 Fail image137 testing my patience
    RSVP Date: April 30
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_fill-wedding-much-give?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:7d857855-67f8-4f44-bd55-66449cc12303Post:ecce1c46-b1a4-4bca-9b48-4d5eec2c1359">Re: Fill-in for wedding- how much to give?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you know that my fiance and I have never ever been to a wedding together?  He's only been to one, and I've only been to one, and they were before we met! We're the first of our friends to get married, so this post was really helpful to know A. what to do in the future and B. what to expect in November!
    Posted by mmontroni[/QUOTE]

It was the same for us. Since we've been to a bunch. But, don't expect these numbers. If you do, you'll be sadly mistaken haha. Different areas=different $$ amounts. Even different areas of NJ. We received some $10 gifts. So, don't expect that amount of money.

**Not that it's a bad thing to give a small gift, especially when you don't have much to spend. Just giving you a heads up
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011
    We usually give $300 so for being a fill in you can probably get away with $200
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Another Etsy seller, EmilyEClaire:
    She normally does "cartoon" STDs, but I contacted her with a custom order for a custom comic of our friend as a groomsman gift (we have had a long time inside joke with this friend about him being a comic book character). She was a fanastic communicater, after I gave her the photo/vision, she had different versions of proofs done within 5 days. The entire purchase was $25 (any size i choose) and I didn't have to put down any deposit until the entire thing was ready.
  • NJgurl19NJgurl19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow I have been low balling people at weddings(well I've only been to two), but FI and I gave 250 and I almost had a heart attack. I guess not that I've been planing my own and actually seeing the cost of these things I will definitely give more.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I think $200 is fine :o) Have fun!!!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards