Iowa-Des Moines

June Honeymoons

Hey Couples! I've been debating places for a honeymoon and figured it'd be best to ask local brides where they went or are going.

So where is your honeymoon spot you decided on and how long will it be for? Then (if you feel comfortable sharing) how much was the total cost and what did it include?

I have a few places picked out but there are a couple issues for each like cost, fiance and I agreeing or not agreeing, and also the fact that we are pretty scared of flying because of a bad experience before.
Thank you all for any ideas and responses!!!

Re: June Honeymoons

• edited December 2011
    We are going to Maui and staying for 9 days/8 nights (we're getting married there, so we wanted to make sure we were there for a decent length of time). We got a deal through Orbitz, including a flight from Des Moines to Maui, 8 nights at the Westin (4 star hotel), and an economy-size rental car, for $2600 (total for both of us). This does not include any meals. One thing I learned when I was searching the Maui deals was that some of the resorts/hotels charge a daily fee ($25 for ours) which covers things that I normally would think are already covered in a hotel cost, like parking (just regular, not even valet) and local phone calls.

I recommend checking out travelzoo.com to look for package deals, or we've used CheapCaribbean.com in the past as well. I have found expedia.com and orbitz.com to have some of the best deals. We have stayed at all-inclusive resorts in the Bahamas & the Dominican Republic, which were pretty nice and affordable.

What places are you thinking about?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We opted for more low-key HM by going to Colorado. We saved money by driving since it was only a 12 hour drive. We had an amazing time. We spent time in Cripple Creek, Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, etc. We went whitewater rafting, saw the Garden of the Gods, etc. I think the whole honeymoon (gas, food, hotel) was about $1700
    ?imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Ireland!  We just booked a couple of days ago, we booked through Sceptre Tours, staying 7 days and 6 nights.
    The total cost, including flight, upscale lodging and automatic rental car (and taxes, etc.) will be just over $2000 for both of us.  We're going in mid-April, so obviously we won't know additional costs for meals, drinks, souvenirs, etc., but I anticipate maybe another $700-800 there? 
    Have fun planning!!!
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • edited December 2011
    We are crusing for 5 days, bahamas on royal caribbean. Theres just so much to do on  those things, and the price was good.
  • edited December 2011
    We just booked at the Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Includes all meals, snacks, drinks, and entertainment every night.  We are going the last week in October.  For plane tickets and the resort we are paying a little under $2500. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • aasimmonsaasimmons member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you soo much, definately very helpful!! Ive made my list of places I would love to go-such as Europe, Hawaii, or Mexico to see the temples. I picked each because my fiance is a history buff and all of them are full of history and attractions.
    My fiance was very set on a roadtrip across America full of stops and visits- like yellowstone, colorado, las vegas, san diego, oklahoma, then back to Iowa. Although it would be fun, I added up the driving miles and it would be a total of over 60 hours in a car alone!! plus it seems more like a family vacation than a  relaxing honeymoon. We were looking at keeping the honeymoon at a cap of $2000. so were both trying to find something in the middle that both of us would like and enjoy.
  • edited December 2011
    One thing that would make for an awesome and extremely affordable honeymoon in Europe are the low-cost carriers there. With them, you could fly between most major cities on the continent for about $50 per person, sometimes even cheaper if you book at the last moment. You could pretty much have a roundtrip of the best of Europe at the price of visiting one place.

A friend of mine who studies in Germany goes to a different country almost every weekend spending almost nothing on travel by using them. Of course, the tickets from the US to Europe would not be at that ridiculously low price, but there are still really good deals offered by some small travel companies, such as http://www.btc2000.com/ or http://www.paylessbg.com.

From the low-cost carriers, the most well-known are Ryanair, EasyJet, and Wizz Air, but there are many others.
  • krysh2302krysh2302 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We looked at a ton of placed but were shocked by hotel and airfare prices. We decided to go a little cliche and honeymoon in Vegas!

We were able to get a hotel with a great price a tower suite at Treasure Island for only $125/night. Flights are dirt cheap, and easy to find.

We will probably be spending around $1500.

Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards