Not Engaged Yet

Job decision?

Last year in mid January I was working for a mortgage company that a friend of mine also worked at. I worked in a different department, but nonetheless she helped me sort of get my foot in the door for my first office job. The company had a policy that you have to go through a temp agency the first three months of employment then they hire you on. Due to the economy and other things within the company all temp employees were let go in mid february, including myself. The temp agency told me that my boss had given me good praise and would give a good recommendations for any future employment. Eventually I found a job a month or so later working in the food industry at the airport. As of right now I am working on a project that will help me get a promotion to a good hourly amount and then from there enable me to move up to management within a year. Now, my friend got a promotion and her position was being filled and she wanted them to look at my resume. Needless to say I didn't get far in that because of my lack of administrative experience, but that they were now considering me for a different position within the company. My resume is now being reviewed by my old boss at the company for a support position which may or may not be my old position. I'm not sure what will become of it, but I'm sort of stressing at the fact that if they offer it to me if I should take it or if i should just stay at my company I'm at now in hopes that within the next few months of my promotion. Any thoughts?

Re: Job decision?

• Depends on where you want to go with your life/career...
    Do you have any degrees?

What type of position do you want to be in in 10 years? Which company has more room for growth? Which has better benefits?

Do you want to be in the food industry?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Is your current position full time? Also what Lunar asked :)

• Listen to Lunar. I think she might do this for a living, or something :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_job-decision?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c9cf40c8-3d5d-4954-b891-00c25ce710a5Post:5d46dd74-61dc-4c1b-9f10-c6ca4fd96488">Re: Job decision?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Depends on where you want to go with your life/career... Do you have any degrees? What type of position do you want to be in in 10 years? Which company has more room for growth? Which has better benefits? Do you want to be in the food industry?
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

With my current company I would be going from a server to a shift supervisor which I would be making about that same amount at the mortgage company. From shift supervisor I would become a manager at the restaurant and would be making like 38k starting. My goal is to finish my education degree and start teaching but that won't be for a few years since I'm going to school part time. The mortgage company would have vacation and benefits and room for growth. The restaurant. I would have that but be more useful once in management. Shift supervising. I would work 9-7 four days. Management would have more than forty hours and would have differing hours and working on holidays. Mortgage company I would have a cubicle, bank holidays, m-f 8-5.
  • Aren't you getting your degree in elementary education?

Are you trying to start a career, or are you looking for just a job?
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_job-decision?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c9cf40c8-3d5d-4954-b891-00c25ce710a5Post:f3009150-e5af-43d0-88d5-f20970804951">Re: Job decision?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aren't you getting your degree in elementary education? Are you trying to start a career, or are you looking for just a job?
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yes. And either or. I have a few years before I finish my degree since I am only taking one or two classes a semester, but I want to work. I would prefer to find something that I can be in for awhile. If I excel then it would be my career, and if I don't and I already have my degree I can always fall back on teaching. With my current company it pretty much goes, shift super-manager-GM-DM or corporate. So there IS room, but at the same time the mortgage company I'm starting at the bottom and there seems more room to grow. I guess it doesn't matter too much either way, and until they make me an offer I really shouldn't dwell on it.</div>
  • I think you're right in that you shouldn't worry too much until you get an offer.

When I worked retail, I dreamed about a day I could sit down at work. I know for me, the mortgage office would be a no-brainer. But that's me. I do think that if you got administrative assistant experience at the mortgage office, you could take that to a ton of other companies. I know the same is true with restaurants, so it just depends what appeals more.
  • If they do offer it to you.. I would go with what will be a good fit now. If you aren't sure you will be getting that promotion to shift supervisor, maybe the office job with the benefits is a better fit for while you are at school. Not to mention, it may have a better schedule to work with classes because you wouldn't be working nights and would have weekends free. But really, it's all up to what feels right and what you wouldn't be miserable doing, and if they even offer you a position!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly- the mortgage company would probably look better on your resume (if you aren't aspiring to be a district manager of a restaurant chain or something).
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards