Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Skin issues

Hi ladies I'm new to this board, but I've been browsing and it seems you ladies really know your stuff, so I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a skin condition which leaves white patches all over my body. If you google Vitiligo you'll see what I mean (sorry, don't know how to PIP). It's not terribly bad, my torso is by far the most noticeable but rarely seen so not bothered. My worry is my face. It shows up worse in photos than real life, and I don't really want my wedding photos looking like patchy patcherson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vitiligo03.jpg
So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Re: Skin issues

• LeguLegu member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Sorry for the cut-off, it wouldn't let me write any more. On the plus side, apparently I figured out link, at least. The pic linked above is the one closest to my skin tone. I rarely wear make up. If I go out out, I do my eyes (apparently I'm awesome at eyes) but that's it. What do I do about my skin for the wedding? Will foundation cover it, and last? What is airbrushing, is this a better option? I've never got a spray tan before so have no idea how that would work... Thanks in advance :)
    So, maybe things don't always go as planned... Maybe that's okay. I may be alone for now, but my baby boy is on his way, and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • I think in your case, it's well worth getting a makeup artist.  A good professional makeup artist will be able to ensure that your skin looks even.  I'd probably try to speak to someone who does both airbrush makeup and traditional foundation so they can recommend which option is best for you. They'll be able to do something that will last throughout the day and you won't have to worry about looking patchy!
  • jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    I think my mom has something similar to this. She developed it when she was about 10. She obviously can't tan because her white patches would burn. I'm not sure how spray tanning would work either. Maybe try it out a few times to see.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • LeguLegu member
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I was looking into a professional anyway, then I started reading on here about this airbrush jobby, so I'll alter my search slightly and look into someone who does both. You think this may be what your mum had? I'm sure she's probably more than used to livin with it by now, but if she's never really known much about it, at least now you can tell her what it's actually called. I was about 11 when I really first noticed it... Just started secondary school, and after a little while, the "pretty", "cool" girls would come up to me and say things like, "can't you learn how to put your make up on properly? Your foundation's all uneven". I literally didn't even know what they were talking about, so I ignored them. A while after that, I noticed white patches on my stomach, and looking closer, realised a massive patch across my chin was about three shades lighter than the rest of my face. Then I noticed it on my fingers [much like the link] and realised this was what my Grandad had had too. I didn't care after that. He lived 'till he was 80 so it couldn't have hurt him. It does get worse in the sun. Either you get more brown and the white stands out more, or the white bits go a lovely shade of red... Not nice... But oh well. Ordinarily, I don't care. No one really sees my stomach etc anyway, apart from FI, who likes tracing the edges with his finger and "hopping" from one to the next... Straight away when he first saw it, he started asking lots of questions and playing his little "hopping" game... That's how I knew he was the one, I think... He wasn't scared, wasn't bothered, or shy... Just wanted to understand. I digress. I just want a pretty face for one day. : Thanks again for the advice.
  • Legu, I have vitiligo as well, but I'm lucky because I have VERY fair skin and live in VT so I don't usually get much of a tan. A few suggestions though: firstly I was given a prescription gel from my doctor that MAY OVER TIME decrease the size/severity of the patches. I also have a co-worker who has the same condition but you can't tell because she uses a self-tanner. I don't know if that's an option for your face though. When I call the salon where I'm currently planning on having my make-up done I will be telling them that I have this, right around my lips like a clown face, and make sure they can cover it.
    It seems to me like it's a lot more common than I thought and I'm sure with a few calls you'll find someone who has dealt with it before and can help you look your best.
    It doesn't have to be perfect to be everything I want!
    Rings2
    143 Invited image
    88 will be there! image
    55 would rather stay home :(image
    0 Are procrastinating!image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LeguLegu member
    edited April 2012
    I've never even thought about prescription possibilities... It's just something I've lived with for the last 15 years, and never really cared about... That bein said, if there's a possibility that something could help, it might be worth a shot... I had a go at self tan for my holiday last year... That was okay, I guess, but it tanned everything... So the white patches got darker, but so did the skin around it so it didn't really help... I'll definitely look into it a lot more, cheers :
  • Vitiligo is a fairly common acquired condition and can sometimes repigment itself. Even if it doesn't though there's nothing bad about it...just be very careful about using sunscreen on those spots! It's basically a loss of melanocytes, the cells that make pigment- so your skin can't protect itself from the sun and is at increased risk for skin cancers.

As far as the wedding, I would look into a make-up artist...and maybe try applying an extra layer or 2 of self-tanner just to those spots? Even if you can't cover it up, I'm sure you'll look beautiful and your FI seems like he won't mind  :-)
  • Are you interested i hiring a Make u[ Artist that can airbrush?  If you need some information or you have questions that you would like to ask please shoot me an email with your questions and ccontact info and I will be more than happy to help you with your big day!  My email address is loveglambeaut@gmail.com

Thank you,
    Carmen
    Make up Artist
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards