Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

F/U to Polygamy Discussion

It's really been bugging my mom, haha, so she found this article:

http://principlevoices.org/diversity-of-fundamentalist-mormons/faq

The last question discusses the legality issues.  It's really interesting.  And a wee bit disturbing the way they twist or change definitions to fit prosectution.
ttc chart
BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12

Re: F/U to Polygamy Discussion

• Options
    That's bullshit. I don't care if you believe in it or not, that's profilin.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    I just recently saw the show "sister wives" and, I have to say, I found the family very likeable and surprisingly normal and modern.  Apparently the Utah authorities have already moved in to charge them with polygamy, which is a felony charge and carries a long prison term.

I really think it is ridiculous.  THere are plently of unmarried people out htere living together with kids and other people with non-traditional living arrangments. If the children aren't being harmed or subjected to any type of abuse, I just don't see how they should be subjected to prosecution. 
  • Options
    Yeah, that's crap.  If they only have one legal wife, then who cares? As long as there isn't any abuse or rape or anything like that and they've all consented, I don't see how it's anyone else's business.
    It amazes me how far some people will go to try to get rid of people/practices they don't agree with. 
  • Options

"The decision basically declared religious, non-legal marriage commitments equivalent to legal marriages, but only for the purposes of prosecution."

That's utterly ridiculous and shows you how there really isn't a seperation of church and state.

In the case of underage marriages, I understand full prosecution for the husbands, but if everyone is a consenting adult, then law enforcement needs to mind their own business.

• Options
    There was a segment about this on the Today show the other day.  The Utah AG said that Utah does not prosecute cases like the Sister Wive's family but because they have been "flaunting" it on national television, the government has a duty to at least investigate.  He compared it to poker games in the home and how that is illegal but not prosecuted and wouldn't be investigated/prosectued unless you go on tv and flaunt the illegal activity you are partaking in.

Meredith asked the AG why it was felony bigamy if only one of the marriages was legally valid.  He explained that it is illegal because Utah is a common law marriage state.  If this were to occur in a state which does not recognize common law marriage then I don't think it would be illegal.  It will be interesting what happens with them because the AG stressed several times that Utah does not prosecute those types of cases where you have two consenting adults. 
  • Options
    The thing I liked about the Sister Wives was that there are some working partners.  So many of the large polygamous families get the ladies to be on welfare.  I don't like that kind of abuse.  And, it seems like he married the women when they were old enough. He wasn't marrying 14 year-olds.
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I agree with Meg1979 that the problem really with polygamy is that a lot of the "non-legal" wives claim to be single moms and then use that to collect a lot of welfare.  That is just an abuse of the system.
  • Options
    Plenty of people out there  abuse the system.  How about all of those unmarried single mothers?  It really is no different.  How many people also abuse the unemployment system?  A few more polygamists is not going to tip the scales of abuse here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards