June 2012 Weddings

"Ivory" Crisis!

Hi girls,

So I finally got my dress in on Sunday (YAY!), but I have kind of an issue. FI hasnt rented his tux yet but we are doing that later this week. My dress looked white when I tried it on but the saleswoman told me it was actually ivory, so I was like whatever It looks white to me and I love it so I got it in that color. We were planning on FI wearing a white tie and vest, but now I am worried that his white will make my dress look not so white (it looks white to me, but compared to "true white" dresses you can tell it's not that white). But I also dont want him to order an "ivory" vest and tie because that is too dark and cream-colored looking. So what would you do?? Should we just order his vest and tie in white and hope it looks good? I'm kind of panicing now :'( Has anyone else come across this problem??

TIA!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: "Ivory" Crisis!

• My dress is ivory too. I think FI got ivory when we did our group number at men's wearhouse but im not 100% certain
  • I wouldn't worry about it. My dress is ivory and my FI will be wearing a white shirt. I think the majority opinion on the Attire and Accessories board is that it won't matter. The difference is subtle and really, why would it matter? I think most brides wear ivory now rather than white.
  • I have an ivory dress, but it's a true, deep ivory so we went with ivory shirts for everyone and an ivory vest for FI. Is there a way the shop where you ordered your dress could order you a swatch of the fabric and you could take that with you to the tux shop? That way you could compare it with the ivory and white shirts and decide from there.
    Photobucket
  • My dress is diamond white (somewhere between ivory and white) and FI will be wearing a light ivory shirt. I dont want my dress to look "off"!! That is what they suggested when I bought the dress as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am called whoever FI decides to go with and changing it to ivory because he doesn't know. My dress is subtle but I don't want a crazy difference so I'll try to find a subtle ivory to match. Not super concerned though.
  • We have run into this. But, in photos no one will be able to tell.
    No one is going to grab the train of your dress and hold it up to FI and go YOU DON'T MATCH! That's disgusting!
    And, if they do do that- they deserve an a$$ whooping and to know that it isn't the EXACT color.
    Ivory is a fanciful way of saying white. Your neutrals more than likely won't clash.

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ivory-crisis?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:d849ab1c-d86a-4e1b-9e61-c22f9b40c40aPost:df469aaf-ac72-4890-965c-5d7cd546ab1b">Re: "Ivory" Crisis!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have run into this. <strong>But, in photos no one will be able to tell.</strong> No one is going to grab the train of your dress and hold it up to FI and go YOU DON'T MATCH! That's disgusting! And, if they do do that- they deserve an a$$ whooping and to know that it isn't the EXACT color. Ivory is a fanciful way of saying white. Your neutrals more than likely won't clash.
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]
    If the dress is a very light ivory, then no, you won't be able to tell. But I have seen people's pictures where I could tell--dramatically. The particular person I'm thinking of had a very ivory dress and the white shirt actually made it look even more ivory in pics. I mean, I wouldn't judge anybody for it, but sometimes you can tell. Ivory and white are definitely two different colors.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ivory-crisis?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:d849ab1c-d86a-4e1b-9e61-c22f9b40c40aPost:df469aaf-ac72-4890-965c-5d7cd546ab1b">Re: "Ivory" Crisis!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have run into this. But, in photos no one will be able to tell. No one is going to grab the train of your dress and hold it up to FI and go YOU DON'T MATCH! That's disgusting! And, if they do do that- they deserve an a$$ whooping and to know that it isn't the EXACT color. Ivory is a fanciful way of saying white. Your neutrals more than likely won't clash.
    Posted by peachykeen26[/QUOTE]

Hahaha thank you all, this makes me feel much better. Photos were mainly what I was concerned with, so if those wont show the color difference I dont think too many guests would notice. When we go to the tux shop I will try and find a "subtle ivory" and if not I guess he will just get white and I should stop worrying about it. Thank you!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ivory-crisis?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:d849ab1c-d86a-4e1b-9e61-c22f9b40c40aPost:39edc77b-3e70-407d-bec6-69d63a0a1a1b">Re: "Ivory" Crisis!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Ivory" Crisis! : If the dress is a very light ivory, then no, you won't be able to tell. But I have seen people's pictures where I could tell--dramatically. The particular person I'm thinking of had a very ivory dress and the white shirt actually made it look even more ivory in pics. I mean, I wouldn't judge anybody for it, but sometimes you can tell. Ivory and white are definitely two different colors.
    Posted by courtneyclare103[/QUOTE]

Oh no! I am hoping that since I didnt notice that the dress was actually ivory this means that it is a very light ivory..yikes. maybe I will just bring my dress to the tux shop with me haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_ivory-crisis?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:d849ab1c-d86a-4e1b-9e61-c22f9b40c40aPost:39edc77b-3e70-407d-bec6-69d63a0a1a1b">Re: "Ivory" Crisis!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Ivory" Crisis! : If the dress is a very light ivory, then no, you won't be able to tell. But I have seen people's pictures where I could tell--dramatically. The particular person I'm thinking of had a very ivory dress and the white shirt actually made it look even more ivory in pics. I mean, I wouldn't judge anybody for it, but sometimes you can tell. Ivory and white are definitely two different colors.
    Posted by courtneyclare103[/QUOTE]

I agree. You can tell in some pictures (I have and the bridal salon consultant said she had) and yeah ivory and white are two different colors
  • My dress is also ivory so FI with wear ivory shirt, vest and tie. All the GM will also be in Ivory shirts. They told me that sometimes in pictures it can look weird with the guys in white with my dress being ivory, so I just went with what they suggested. But whenever I finally get my dress I will bring a swatch in and match it up to make sure it works all together.
  • I'm having the same issue. My dress isn't a deep ivory by any means and because of that I'm pretty sure I'll put FI in white. We bought suits instead of renting tuxes so we will also be buying shirts. At Men's Warehouse, the ivory shirt they had was way more yellow than my dress and I think it would look worse to put FI in that than in white. I'm going to take a swatch of my dress to be sure, but I am almost positive FI will wear white.
  • My dress is a very light ivory. FI will still be in a white shirt. The guys are wearing tangerine or regular orange ties and vests so that won't be an issue.

PS~ Yesterday the flower lady at Costco told me that I should not have the guys wear black tuxes with orange vests and ties because they will look like halloween. I was kinda pissed. :( I thought the same thing, but researched it before I mand any decisions and they looked nice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My dress is ivory, and FI and GM will also have ivory shirts.  That was his choice when we looked, because the bright white swatch looked blue (and yes, they were fabric swatches).  The ivory men's shirt looked white enough to me, and my dress also looks white in the sun.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • I have a very pale ivory dress, not yellow at all. My fiance got a black tux with a white shirt, ivory vest & tie. The pocket thingy we got two-1 ivory & 1 white & they folded them together so it alternated. I had my dress swatch with me to compare colors. I think we made the right choice. Eeekk
  • edited February 2012
    My dress is considered ivory, but it is very light. We went on Sunday to Men's Warehouse to do tuxes and FI is wearing ivory shirt, tie & vest. The groomsmen are all wearing ivory shirts with black vests & ties. But now after reading all this I want to take my dress to the store to compare. Lol 

Edited to fix typo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards