Wedding Etiquette Forum

"If you want to live here, learn English"

I just found this ad for someone running for governor in Alabama. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ohsvJHkbY
Essentially, he wants to make the driver's license exam only available in English - so you learn English or you don't live (or drive) in Alabama.

While I mostly agree with him, I don't think I've ever heard someone political be so blunt about the subject.  Do you agree with him?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"

• That's pretty reprehensible and racist. He probably should have given that little speech while punching a kitten.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • OMG I saw this today too and was in absolute shock. If he gets elected I will never visit Alabama, ever. Unless the bribe me with amazing food, then maybe I would.
  • You know, I REALLY hate having to press 1 for English when I call somewhere.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • If you were to live in France (not visit but live), I would expect you to learn French. If you were to live in Italy, I would expect you to learn Italian and so on.  If you live here, learn English.  

You don't have to agree with me but - having my own opinion is one of the freedoms of our country.
  • I don't agree at all. This sentiment has been expressed in my state as well.
    I think it is both arrogant and absurd to insist that we raise our children to only learn English. Many other countries teach English in schools. Why couldn't we teach Spanish?

• I didn't need another reason to not visit Alabama.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I COMPLETELY agree!!  Why should I have to push one for English?  This is the United States for goodness sake.  People should have to learn English if they want to be here, especially for government documents like licensing. 
    snowbaby-1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • To be honest, yes and no.
    I get frustrated when I go to walmart and ever single gift card at the check out is in spanish, they're cute too! Everything in my state seems to also be written in spanish. I feel like we're in America, we should speak english.
    Now, for legal documents like that, I understand and respect the need for them to be in another language. Someone can immigrate here and want a DL before they have had an oppurtunity to learn the language.

It also bugs me when people have lived here forever and take no initiative to learn the language (unless they are old and did not immigrate here until an older age then I give them a free pass haha).

If I ever moved to another country for a long period of time you better believe I would learn and use their native language.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:94ebbfb1-c3c9-4a7c-8b58-62736a401c56">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know, I REALLY hate having to press 1 for English when I call somewhere.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have to agree with this.  Or when I can't order food without it taking 3 tries.  And trust me that's not judgmental, it happens the majority of the time.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:94ebbfb1-c3c9-4a7c-8b58-62736a401c56">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know, I REALLY hate having to press 1 for English when I call somewhere.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]
    annnd this. Everytime I say "of course I want english"
  • Many countries in Europe have several official languages. It reflects all the different heritages of the citizens of that country.  When all the Europeans came over they needed a single language so they all learned english.  That is not necessary for Latinos.  White people will soon lose their majority and I think its time for spanish to be recognized as a national language. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a lot of respect for people who learn English as a second language. English is so hard when compared to French or German, because the grammar rules are so arbitrary. Also, these people seem to forget that this is a country that is founded on immigration - none of us came from here, and any decade you look at, there's always a new immigrant group that is seen as a boogeyman. This "learn English" garbage is also pretty rich when there are so many American-born people that can barely speak or write it themselves.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • But you know what's interesting? ANYWHERE I see pictures of, I ALWAYS see translations in English above it. I was stalking Sun's Malaysia pictures and everything had an English translation.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • His ad said there are TWELVE languages available.  That seems a bit much.  Maybe pick the top five languages of recent immigrants.  Or only offer different languages in states that have the highest immigration levels.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:0ff271ec-9e3d-448a-a2a7-8e97d442a03b">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]Many countries in Europe have several official languages. It reflects all the different heritages of the citizens of that country.  When all the Europeans came over they needed a single language so they all learned english.  That is not necessary for Latinos. <strong> White people will soon lose their majority and I think its time for spanish to be recognized as a national language. </strong>
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]
    I know we share a b-day and all but I strongly disagree.
  • Any country I have ever been to, I have made the effort to know basic language skills to get around.  What is so bad about other people doing that in the US?  I don't get the double standard.
  • Ditto Sarah0725.
    Unless you are Native American, your family immigrated here at some point.
    I think the underlying sentiment is what bothers me about this. It also bugs me that people are up in arms about teaching kids Spanish in schools. Oh no! We don't want our kids to be educated in another language!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:bca4d9b0-6625-4d50-8122-194366a5953f">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "If you want to live here, learn English" : I know we share a b-day and all but I strongly disagree.
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]
    Its cool baby girl - its a couple years out so we have time to adjust.  FWIW I don't know spanish at all. 
  • I don't know where you're from, Jasmine, but I have never encountered opposition to foreign language learning in any school.  It is a requirement in a lot of districts as well as colleges.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:c580f913-05a8-40f3-8069-19538a54e380">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know where you're from, Jasmine, but I have never encountered opposition to foreign language learning in any school.  It is a requirement in a lot of districts as well as colleges.
    Posted by kate51485[/QUOTE]

Yeah that struck me as odd too, I've never encountered that.  I took Latin instead of Spanish despite living in Texas (probably a dumb move) but still.
  • France started off as a homogeneous country, from which people emigrated to ... oh, here.  The idea that our country needs to have one official language completely ignores our history of being the place that took in people from other countries  - and that doing so has always made us stronger.

Additionally, you already need to speak English in order to become politically or financially successful in our country.  We don't need to add to that efforts to stamp out other languages by forcing those who don't speak English to become actual second class citizens.

All this hatred for immigrants makes me really sad.  Sad because it is a reflection on us and that we've forgotten our roots.  And sad because it dims the promise of opportunity for success that we used to represent to people from other countries.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:c580f913-05a8-40f3-8069-19538a54e380">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know where you're from, Jasmine, but I have never encountered opposition to foreign language learning in any school.  It is a requirement in a lot of districts as well as colleges.

Me neither.
  • edited April 2010
    It is something that I have heard a lot here. There is also, at least every few years, a movement to make English the offical language in the state constitution.

ETA: It is not a requirement here, and it is not available at all until high school.
  • When I read that I thought she was talking about classes taught in spanish for spanish speaking kids.  Kind of like ESIL but more.  I dunno though.
  • I don't see requiring people know English as wanting to stamp out their language. I mean, we all immigrated here...and yet we all know English.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:89b36f1b-29cb-4f80-a92d-c0b5b9a4079b">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]France started off as a homogeneous country, from which people emigrated to ... oh, here .  The idea that our country needs to have one official language completely ignores our history of being the place that took in people from other countries  - and that doing so has always made us stronger. Additionally, you already need to speak English in order to become politically or financially successful in our country.  We don't need to add to that efforts to stamp out other languages by forcing those who don't speak English to become actual second class citizens. All this hatred for immigrants makes me really sad.  Sad because it is a reflection on us and that we've forgotten our roots.  And sad because it dims the promise of opportunity for success that we used to represent to people from other countries.
    Posted by carrieoz_76[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone said they have hatred for immigrants, or that they shouldn't still maintain their cultures here.  They absolutely should.  But why is it so unfathomable that they be able to function in their new society as well?
  • We all immigrated here, and no one was expected to learn the local Native language. We weren't the first americans. I think the current attitude about immigration is what makes me sad.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_want-live-here-learn-english?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cc8588ae-4829-4b26-9627-fe14981c2996Post:bb11024d-b45a-4432-9ebe-397b3ac96233">Re: "If you want to live here, learn English"</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: "If you want to live here, learn English" : I don't think anyone said they have hatred for immigrants, or that they shouldn't still maintain their cultures here.  They absolutely should.  But why is it so unfathomable that they be able to function in their new society as well?
    Exactly. Just like all of our relatives had to do. I don't think  we're ever going to stamp out languages. Look at the huge pockets of different cultures across the country... Dutch, Little Italy, Chinatown, Little Cuba...
  • Another thing, I work in the medical field. It is always assumed that someone at my office knows and speaks spanish. We have had patients come in who don't know a word of english and yet get upset that we don't know spanish.
    I'm less likely to get hired for a lot of jobs because I don't know spanish.
  • So I have no problem learning another language, and FYI it was a requirement in school. 

My problem is with government issued paperwork in different languages.  If you visit Europe, you HAVE to know at least some of the local language or you can't get around or anything.  I don't see why it shouldn't be the same here in the states.  English is our language, and it should be reflected. 

snowbaby-1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards