Moms and Maids

mother of groom issues....

help! the mother of the groom is planning on wearign somethign i would wear to the grocery store or to yoga,  how do i let he rknow nicely that this is a night time affair and what she plans on wearing is not acceptable and everyone else will be dressed approriatly for a WEDDDING

urggggghhhh!~!!!@!  

irritated bride.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: mother of groom issues....

• offer to go shopping w her and your mom. tell her traditionally the mob & mog wear similar styles and you'd like to shop with them for a girls day out (bring your sister or fsil if possible). unfortunately my fmil isn't very well and doesn't understand how she will need to dress, fi and his sister, me and my sister are taking both our moms to shop together.
  • You can offer to go shopping with her. Show her a picture of you mom' s dress. Tell her where the wedding is and hope she will figure out the proper dress for the location and time. But you can't tell her what to wear or that her outfit isn't nice enough.

• I have offered to go shopping with her and she claims there is no need she already had something. Black sweats / yoga and a wrap sweater are no appropriate especially when the moh is wearing a nice dress ......... : guess there's not much more I can do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She's a grown-up. She can wear whatever she wants. If people don't like it they will judge her and not you. If your venue has a dress code, you should let her know, but otherwise there's nothing you can do. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You can do any of the above but he final decision on dress is up to her.

Sucks,  I know :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_mother-of-groom-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:7b617c8d-aeab-43be-9ce0-6c5244b665f8Post:238222d1-e6a3-48d0-8aa5-65626ca18e9b">Re: mother of groom issues....</a>:
    [QUOTE]She's a grown-up. She can wear whatever she wants. If people don't like it they will judge her and not you. If your venue has a dress code, you should let her know, but otherwise there's nothing you can do. 
    Posted by rentaduckie[/QUOTE]

Many of the venues on the Cape do hae dress codes.  I would make sure she knows this and if she wants to make an azz of herself, well...
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2012
    I would let her know the formality of the event and the dress code (if there is one).  Other then that, she is an adult and can dress herself however she wants.  You cannot dictate what she wears, sorry.

• I sympathize, because I'm in the same boat. I was told she owns a dress. I told my fiance we are taking her shopping - this is also my attempt to get her involved with the wedding planning process (but that is a whole other story).   
  • Try showing her a pictures of your mom's dress.  Maybe that will get her to realize she needs to wear something much more formal that what she has planned. 
  • Agreed with PP. It sucks that she can wear whatever she wants. She's going to be the one looking like crap, not you. Luckily she won't have to be in a lot of your photos :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards