Wedding Etiquette Forum

Random shower question

My cousin and sister (sis is MOH, cousin is a BM) are throwing me a bridal shower. My FMIL is throwing me another one. The cousin/sister shower will be at my parents' house, and the FMIL one at my house. Should I get them gifts to thank them for hosting? Someone told me I shouldn't worry about gifts since the showers aren't actually being thrown in the hostesses' homes...is this true?

Re: Random shower question

• They are still hosting. Get your cousin, sister, parents (as their house is being used), and FMIL a small hostess gift.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Yes you should still buy your hostess gifts because they went through the trouble of planning and paying for the shower.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Buy both the hostesses gifts and also buy a gift for anyone who allows a shower to be thrown in their home. They may not be hosting the party, per se, but they're opening up their home and are thus hosts as well.
  • Plumbb2Plumbb2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I've thrown lots of showers and have never recived a host gift. Either my friends are rude ;) or this isn't as common as everyone on the boards make it to be. Any opinions?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_random-shower-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9b1e2d6-6307-49ad-ad8a-d026356ec20dPost:5e5c0887-af83-4353-bd71-409c104c7cc5">Re: Random shower question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've thrown lots of showers and have never recived a host gift. Either my friends are rude ;) or this isn't as common as everyone on the boards make it to be. Any opinions?
    Posted by Plumbb2[/QUOTE]

When you go to a dinner party you bring the hostess a gift, right? (Hope so) Same concept.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • @Plumbb2 that's what I wonder too, and the reason I asked! I've thrown a baby shower and a bridal shower in the past year, and while I received nice thank you notes from the mother-to-be/bride-to-be, I didn't get hostess gifts. (Not that I mind, I wasn't expecting them.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_random-shower-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9b1e2d6-6307-49ad-ad8a-d026356ec20dPost:2e3573ab-3037-42d5-bdd7-a9c689190daa">Re: Random shower question</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Plumbb2 that's what I wonder too, and the reason I asked! I've thrown a baby shower and a bridal shower in the past year, and while I received nice thank you notes from the mother-to-be/bride-to-be, I didn't get hostess gifts. (Not that I mind, I wasn't expecting them.)
    Posted by ali585[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I hosted a baby shower this past winter and didn't get a hostess gift, which is okay, but my friend didn't even thank me for hosting the shower when she sent a thank you. It actually really hurt my feelings that she didn't seem grateful for all that I did. That's why I feel hostess gifts are so nice - they show that you're so appreciative that you're going above just a thank you note.

</div>
  • A hostess gift could be a bottle of wine or even a bunch of flowers. I don't see anything wrong with giving gifts - so I don't know why someone wouldn't give a small gift to someone that has hosted a shower in their honor.
  • I've never hosted a shower (first of my close friends to get married) but my mom hosted many in our home growing up and I believe she always received hostess gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards