September 2012 Weddings

Planning Schedule?

What have you done?  What do you have yet to do, and when do you think you'll do it?

We booked our venue - it is now booked up for every Saturday from Memorial Day through the end of September!  So I'm reallly, really, REALLY glad we booked!

Next up is photographer, then videographer, then DJ, then florist.  This will all probably be done by May.  After that, we'll book caterer and furniture/tent rental company.  That'll be by the end of the summer.

This fall, I'll start dress shopping and putting together some of the details.  We plan to take our engagement photos in August or early September, and then send out our STD's shortly thereafter.  After that, it's all details!

Anniversary

Re: Planning Schedule?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_planning-schedule?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:67a2b3db-e4d8-41f5-b5e0-62c151f9333cPost:3bf29f2d-7be2-418c-a03e-722750f84b57">Re: Planning Schedule?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cate, I wrote a huge response and TK "couldn't be found" when I submitted. So it was eaten.  Essentially: I have venue & dress.  I know who the florist will be b/c my mom has worked there for 10 years  I know who the baker and the DJ will be b/c the DJ is the only one the venue allows and the baker is contracted through the venue and the cost of the cake is in our wedding package. We get to pick the design of course and I think anything over $600 we pay for or something like that.  We haven't picked a photog but we have looked at websites and compared packages a bit. We will probably book that over the summer and do engagements in the fall.  We have not picked a WP yet because we feel it is too early and we are trying to avoid any potential drama.  I am most excited to register, but I know it is too early. A Sept 2012 bride I know IRL has registered and I just think it is too early. She will end up having to redo it when seasons change and stuff is dis continued. 
    Posted by SeaTea02[/QUOTE]

Boo to posts being eaten!  I've started copying extra long posts before I click "submit" just in case TK has a brain freeze.

I know!  I so want to register, but obviously it's not time yet.  We'll probably do that after my guy gets back from his internship this summer (he'll be gone from mid-May through July).  I think my parents are hosting an engagement party for us over Labor Day weekend while we're up (my guy is calling it our "negative anniversary" since it'll be 1 year until we're married!), so it'll be helpful to register early August just in case anyone looks for it.

My WP is my brother - I forgot to mention I did that.  I informed my brother he'd be my BOH (Brother of Honor), and he said, "Well, duh."  And he's apparently super excited about planning a bachelorette party - I'm scared.

We're also doing engagement sessions this fall - in November in New York City!  My guy is running in the NYC Marathon, so we're going up for that weekend, and as our photogs are based in Long Island, it works out really well!

Anniversary

• Our date is 9-12-12.  We are currently in the closing of buying our new home, so the wedding haas taken a backburner.

So far we have the bands fully paid for and sized, and the (pillow) for ring beaer which is actually a handsome indian crafted box with velvet lining inside. I hate the pillow thing.

I have the dress which needs no alterations because I fit in it perfectly off the floor. :), it is at home and fully paid for. I hate veils, so i have a flower comb thats made from similar fabric as my dress to wear instead. Im gonna be a "hair bride", because I have hair thats past my waist and I want it to be in an awesome do on the day.

I designed the invites/programs/wedding signage myself and have the materials to do them.

Once we are settled in the new house we can get a further look into whether we can stage the wedding/reception at home. Its on half an acre, so hopefully we can do it because we dont want to spend alot on the wedding and many of the venues we looked around at are too traditional or fancy that would look ridiculous with our casual/ woodsy wedding. We like Starved Rock, but it doesnt allow outside caterers and we do not like the catering they provide. Its too fancy and sit down like.

I am doing all the florals myself.

My fiance grew up in a family counrty band and still has friendships with musicians in and out of state. If anything, I told him we should invest in a good live band. Hes working on the details.

I dont want a videographer. When are we gonna sit and watch stuff? Pics are fine. My sissy la la has a bachlors in arts, as does our close childhood friend. Whoever wants to take my pics, is fine. We are taking engagement photos in the fall though with both of them and sending out postcards. (Im gonna design)

I got an estimate from a nearby rental co

My fiances aunt owns a mexican resturant. We are able to hire some of her staff and the bartender. My friends BF brews his own flavored beer. We are doing a BBQ so we are gonna have them bring some of the resturant food and then one of the guys will work the grill.

Im a foodie and am very particular on making sure we aren't gonna eat formal boring food. Its a celebration! So I came up with cutsy dessert items that if i have to make myself, then I will.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_planning-schedule?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:67a2b3db-e4d8-41f5-b5e0-62c151f9333cPost:715dcd06-f917-4628-95d5-e83532e3c894">Re: Planning Schedule?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our date is 9-12-12.  We are currently in the closing of buying our new home, so the wedding haas taken a backburner. So far we have the bands fully paid for and sized, and the (pillow) for ring beaer which is actually a handsome indian crafted box with velvet lining inside. I hate the pillow thing. I have the dress which needs no alterations because I fit in it perfectly off the floor. :), it is at home and fully paid for. I hate veils, so i have a flower comb thats made from similar fabric as my dress to wear instead. Im gonna be a "hair bride", because I have hair thats past my waist and I want it to be in an awesome do on the day. I designed the invites/programs/wedding signage myself and have the materials to do them. Once we are settled in the new house we can get a further look into whether we can stage the wedding/reception at home. Its on half an acre, so hopefully we can do it because we dont want to spend alot on the wedding and many of the venues we looked around at are too traditional or fancy that would look ridiculous with our casual/ woodsy wedding. We like Starved Rock, but it doesnt allow outside caterers and we do not like the catering they provide. Its too fancy and sit down like. I am doing all the florals myself. My fiance grew up in a family counrty band and still has friendships with musicians in and out of state. If anything, I told him we should invest in a good live band. Hes working on the details.<strong> I dont want a videographer.</strong> When are we gonna sit and watch stuff? Pics are fine. My sissy la la has a bachlors in arts, as does our close childhood friend. Whoever wants to take my pics, is fine. We are taking engagement photos in the fall though with both of them and sending out postcards. (Im gonna design) I got an estimate from a nearby rental co My fiances aunt owns a mexican resturant. We are able to hire some of her staff and the bartender. My friends BF brews his own flavored beer. We are doing a BBQ so we are gonna have them bring some of the resturant food and then one of the guys will work the grill. Im a foodie and am very particular on making sure we aren't gonna eat formal boring food. Its a celebration! So I came up with cutsy dessert items that if i have to make myself, then I will.
    Posted by libraqueen[/QUOTE]

<div>I kind of feel the same way, but I am still considering hiring someone just to do the ceremony and not the reception. It would be way cheaper to hire someone for an hour and I would have the important part on video. No need to see people dancing or eating 20 years from now.</div>

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think the only thing I am confused about is the reception "schedule." We want it casual, we have no groomsmen or bridesmaids, just our kids in the wedding. So I'm not sure how things would go. I've only attended 2 weddings and both were traditional. Theres all the speeches, dances w/family, sit down dinner, dancing, garter/bouqet, the cake and more dancing.

I think just the beginning of the reception would be the part I'd have trouble with. I feel everything else would flow afterwards. Has anyone been to a casual wedding before? How do you start a reception?

• We still need to:
    book a bakery.  (We haven't been wowed enough...says FI)
    Formally ask the BP to be the wedding book the photobooth
    book the limo
    take E-Pics in August or September
    Design STDs in October and send them
    Buy a dress by October
    Hair and makeup trials after the dress is bought
    Design the Invitations to match the STDs
    Search wedding party gifts
    Save, save, save.....etc....etc....etc.....

• we have venue, caterer, and i just booked dj. In the summer ill be looking for a dress and book my photographer then too. Than everything else will come together
  • Our date is 9-15-2012 and so far I have:
    -Booked the church. I put down the deposit and a little under half of the rental fee. We aren't members of a church but the one we got welcomes non-members. The fee includes marital classes, organist, officiant, coordinator and the beautiful huge chapel.
    -Booked the hall. Put down the deposit and paid half the rental fee up front. It's a Catholic church hall, and even though we're not Catholic or members of that church, they still allow non-parish members to rent...and it's SOOO pretty!!!
    (BOTH the hall and church were already booked on the date I originally wanted, 9-22-2012, so for anyone thinking they're doing thigs too early, you're NOT!!! :)
    -Booked the DJ. We actually booked him a while back when we were originally going to get married, but those plans got canceled due to a car accident and then a surprise pregnancy. We just a couple days ago signed a new contract with the new date and are going to be able to get the services at the original price even though his prices have gone up since we originally signed. Big YAY! :)
    -Booked linens. Same story, they were booked and waiting for us but the contract didn't protect us from price increases so we owe her about double what we did before, but still got a good deal. I'm so happy that I was able to work linens into our budget, I REALLY wanted that polished look!! Suuuper happy about that. :)
    -Same thing with the cake. It was paid off a couple years ago, but has been put on hold until we got back up on our feet. Just gave the cake lady a call today and hopefully we won't have to pay any differences in price but still get our original cake design. *Fingers crossed*
    -I bought a dress back when we were going to get married the first time, but I've had 2 babies since then, so I'm not even sure it's going to fit. I still love it more than anything else I've seen so I"m hoping that I can diet and exercise myself back to that size!!! Otherwise I'll go dress searching about 9 months before the wedding date. I'm giving myself a little under a year to get back into shape. I'm due in about 3 weeks so hopefully that's enough time!!! lol
    -Now I'm going through caterers. One was never booked before and now I'm kinda stressing about how much they all cost, but hopefully I'll find one that I like that's also in my budget range.
    -The only other big contract item I need is my florist. I'm saving that for last just in case I need to scrimp somewhere. Flowers seem the most likely place to cut if I need to and no one will really 'notice.' All the other little things I don't have to worry about till about 5-6 months before the wedding. One of my best buds is a pro photographer and she'll be flying in to do my wedding, so that saves me a LOT of stress. Videography will be added if I can squeeze it into my budget.

It feels like it's so far away, but I like having ample time to deal with any bump that may come up. I can't wait for the day to get here and I LOOOVE looking at this board and seeing that I'm not the only one who gets absolutely giddy about something so 'far' away!! :)
  • I booked the venue.  I had to do this now particularly being in the DMV area and with next year is an election year, event venues will book up fast.  For my venue I had three inquiries come in after me trying to book for my date. 

My venue is all inclusive. The only addtional item I would have to deal with really is the videographer.  However, I have the option to choose my own vendors and get a credit.  So far I have decided to use my own photographer which I have booked.  

The only other vendor booked so far is the event designer. 

The other vendors such as the DOC, videogrpaher, makeup artist, hairstylist, etc. I will deal with towards the end of this year. 

Dress shopping starts in the fall.   YAY!

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Our date is 9/9/2012.  We have booked our Venue which is the location of the reception and ceremony.  The venue also includes the food, drinks, cake, linens, and tables and stuff.  We have booked our DJ for the cermony and reception.  I put down a deposit on a dress and a veil.  We are meeting a photographer and officiant this upcoming weekend. 
    I feel like I must get everything in line now, because two of my close friends are getting married the same year.  The flowers are really the least important thing to me and I will probably leave that until last to decide.

• Our date is 9-22-12 and we have booked the reception venue and photographer. I plan to book the church before summer and begin dress shopping this fall. The rest I believe can wait for a little while, since I do have so much time. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards