Maine

I'm Back! Wedding Review (XP with the September 2011 board)

And married! 
I am going to start off by saying that everything was absolutely perfect. More than just the wedding day, the entire wedding weekend was just perfect. DH and I have NEVER felt so humbled, flattered, and loved before.
Even though we live in Maine, all of our guests did not, so we essentially had a destination wedding. Everyone arrived during the week before, and when we weren't busy with last minute finalizations and moving, we got to do some tourism stuff. On Labor Day, both of our families met for the first time at Portland Lighthouse. The kids crawled around on the forts while the adults talked and took in the view. It was amazing to say the least. 
Thursday was spa day, my girls kidnapped me Thursday morning, and took over logistics for the wedding day (more on this later).  We had lunch, then went to the spa. We each had massages and facials seperately, then joined up in the mani/pedi room. I fell asleep during my facial, it was so relaxing! For nails, I went with a French manicure on my fingers, with a shimmery pink, and my toes are the wedding purple. My girls copied me. While I was at spa day, I found out that our groomsmen kidnapped my now DH and brought him to a brewery tour! We went directly from spa and brewery to our bachelorette and bachelor parties. The girls went to bars and clubs, while the boys grilled various meats and had a fire. At the end of the night, the girls crashed the boys. It was an amazing time! 
Friday was the rehearsal picnic on the beach. We fed everyone Italian sandwiches and whoopie pies, and they were a huge hit! We rehearsed in the fort, then hit the beach. The kids all went swimming! That evening, we all went to one of DH and I's favorite restaurants for German beer and cuisine. It was a beautiful, quiet evening of good food and company. 
Saturday was wedding day, and could not have been more perfect. The weather was gorgeous and clear. The girls and I met at the spa to get our hair and make-up done, and got dressed right there. The guys went to a Chinese buffet for lunch and then hung out at the fort. My mom brought our flowers, they were perfect. I cried in the make-up chair when she gave me my bouquet. The photographers arrived just as I was getting into my dress, and got pictures of my sister lacing me in. Then the real surprise, I mentioned my girls took over wedding day scheduling? THE RENTED US A LIMO FOR THE DAY. So rather than squeezing my dress into a car, I was riding around in a limo sipping champagne.
The boys set up the ceremony space exactly how I planned. The classical guitarist knew exactly when to change the music, and it was beautiful. I will never hear "Storybook Love" the same way again. DH calls it "My Jenny's Song" My mom walked me down the aisle, and as she gave me away, said "As you wish." Our best friends did the ceremony that we wrote. I cried, DH cried, our guests cried. It was beautiful. 
The limo drove us back to the reception, and stopped at a post office so we could mail out the marriage license. Our photographers were able to get the picture of the limo driving through. I can't wait to see that one. Our reception was beautiful as well, set up perfectly, I didn't have to worry about a thing. The kids had a blast. Our food was delicious. The cake was amazing, our guests all asked for seconds. It is torture knowing that our top tier is in the freezer and we have to wait a year to eat it. During our first dance, to Johnny Cash's "Rose of my Heart", DH picked me up and spun me. We danced the night away with all of our guests to a mix of country and classic rock. One of my new nephews made a request with the DJ just so that he could dance with me. 
The next morning, we had brunch with our guests at the hotel before we all parted our separate ways. We had guests from all over the country that did everything to be there for us. One of my bridesmaids was from New York and had to drive through flooded highways to be there. It still brings tears to my eyes just to think about it. I'm flattered. 
DH and I just got back from our minimoon, we went to Jackson, New Hampshire and stayed at the Christmas Farm Inn. We enjoyed the spa, relaxed, drove up Mt. Washington, and relaxed some more. The last week has been an absolute dream that was worth every minute of planning and every dime we spent. It's really hard to come back to the "real world."

I don't have a lot of pictures yet, these are just a couple of guest shots. I can't wait to get the professional ones back in 30 days.
The truth behind a well laced dress

Re: I'm Back! Wedding Review (XP with the September 2011 board)

• jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    sounds wonderful! i love the christmas farm inn! did you stay in a carriage house suite?
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds so wonderful!  Congratulations!!
    Married 9.4.11
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_im-back-wedding-review-xp-september-2011-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:f4fa89a9-ffa6-4ee2-abc4-60bdcc2a287fPost:4a5b60c9-e790-4cce-bda0-ab5122857fdf">Re: I'm Back! Wedding Review (XP with the September 2011 board)</a>:
    [QUOTE]sounds wonderful! i love the christmas farm inn! did you stay in a carriage house suite?
    Posted by jelenybeany[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes we did! We were in Room 12, it was absolutely beautiful!</div>
    The truth behind a well laced dress
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards