Wedding Reception Forum

China or plastic?!

We're having an outdoor wedding at my father's house. Food is buffet style. There are 50 people total. I found super cheap deals on real dinnerware/flatware. Debating on whether I should buy and have real plates/flatware at the tables, or just do paper plates/plastic flatware by the buffet? I can certainly use the leftover dishes if we bought the real stuff because we barely have a total of 3 bowls and 4 plates to our name.

Re: China or plastic?!

• Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2011
    I say china.  I'm kind of "crunchy" and would choose that over plastic as a greener alternative. 
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I just priced everything out:

Sam's Club paper supplies:
    Plastic forks $10
    Plastic spoons $10
    Plastic knives $10
    (those are all packs of 600)
    Paper plates $20
    (pack of 120)

Buying china dishes, stainless steel flatware online:
    Plates $1.00 a piece
    Forks $1.90 for 12
    Spoons $0.99 for 12
    Knives $3.83 for 12
  • FYI I bought my wedding gown for $60 and am making a veil for a total of $6
    Cake is being made as a gift from my MOH and her mother.
    Centerpieces and favors are all free.

Only real costs are food, DJ, photographer, flowers, tent/table/chair rental, and tuxedos.
  • id personally do china but i just don't prefer plastic tablewear at weddings. 
  • I vote china.  Plastic and paper plates sometimes bring a sense of cheapness to an event.  Is this catered? More often than not, you can rent flatware, drinkware, and dinnerware from the caterer.  They take it away and clean it themselves.  That's another thing, who gets to wash all this stuff? Something to think about.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Also... you could try and sell the china after the wedding if you didnt want to keep all of it to make back some of your money.
  • Plastic is included from our caterer--but he is going to "knock down" the price if we provide our own.  It's $3.50/person to rent china from them and at 350-400 people we are NOT doing that!

I'm currently looking at some heavy duty plastic places, etc.,  that are clear so they look like glass or crystal.  That way it doesn't "look" as cheap as using regular plastic, but isn't expensive like renting china.  plus, if you provide your own stuff you can keep it and use it whenever needed!
  • China. (we had to rent ours)

Both for the green alternative and I think plastic looks cheap.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Sometimes those heavy duty plastic plates are just as expensive as the rentals. Renting china for 50 people will be pretty inexpensive. I wouldn't bother buying it.
  • No it's not catered. But thanks all for the input! I've decided that from our budget, I've spent a total of $115 out of $3,000 and the only things left are food, DJ, tuxes, and photographer...so I'm going with china! I like the idea of being able to sell some afterwards. But I think between us and my dad, we'll probably just keep it (my dad has had 5 children and his everyday dinnerware collection is dwindling!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards