Wedding Etiquette Forum

Not really a good morning

Morning.    

Woke to find we are one parish over from the hurricane watches.  Great.     I have a friend at the NWS and he tells me we should be under one by the end of the day.

Looks like my day off will be going to the store and getting some supplies.  Good news is as of right now the direct hit is to our east.  So that means the weakest part of the storm hits us.  But we are still a few days away, so anything can happen.   

Weird thing is this that it's suppose to hit almost 7 years to the day that Katrina hit.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Not really a good morning

• Lynda - sorry to hear you will have to deal with all of that.  I hope things shift even farther off for you, DH , and Chef D.  Hard to believe Katrina was 7 years ago.  The one and only time I was in NO was 7 1/2 yrs ago for a conference (imagine someone in the military pulling off a bonafide conference that just happened to fall during Mardi Gras...) 

Hunker down, and stay safe.
  • Thanks.  I think we will be fine.  Just a PITA.  I'm use to them in the islands.  It's different here.  Especially the option to evacuate.   Not that I think we would for this storm.  But it does add an element I'm not use to.

The thought of a military conference during Mardi Gras is hilarious.   I just you can brush up on crowd control.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yeah, I was only there for 2 days because I was called home for an emergency.  Our hotel was by the corner of Bourbon street and Canal.  They all seemed pretty bummed to be there for the festivities.
  • I live 3 blocks from that location.  Not much sleeping going on in the hotel rooms during that time of year.

• Good morning!

We're on tropical storm/hurricane watch here, although it looks like the eye will probably be west of us.  Nonetheless, most of the RNC stuff was cancelled on Monday and Tuesday morning.  On the plus side, hopefully this will my H's commute less chaotic (his work takes him through the heart of RNC-related traffic) as long as the roads don't flood.
  • Lynda -- stay safe and dry.  How's Chef D doing?

Berkeley hates thunder but doesn't mind wind.  This morning, I came downstairs to find the back door blown open (I guess H didn't lock it, oops).  I nearly had a heart attack because the kittens definitely don't go outside.  Thank goodness the windy conditions scared them, so they were both inside peering out the door.

• Mica - what did you name the kittens?
  • Oh no Mica.  Poor kitties.

The eye to the west is actually worse because the bad stuff is to the east of the eye.  Be careful Mica.

Chef D is great.  Thanks.  It's a pretty day so we will take him out to the dog park and get him all tired.     I'm not worried about him and the storm.  He very chill.  Thunder and wind does not bother him. 

• Morning.  I'm up.  Trying to decide if I want the leftover omelette I brought home yesterday or just a bagel with almond butter and jelly.  What's the best way to reheat half an omelette?

Hope you don't get much of the storm Lynda.  

Glad the kittens stayed inside Mica.  That would suck to have to go find them.  We are planning to go look into joining a gym today.  The one we like has a childcare option, and a really nice pool.  I'm hoping to do some swimming pre-birth.  I have to find a pregnancy bathing suit or a tankini or something I guess if I want to swim laps though :).  I have to do something cause I'm not motivated to walk the treadmill cause I hate how boring it is so as a result I'm sitting on my butt and doing nothing.
  • Stay safe, Lynda and Mica!

Loopy, Microwave with damp paper towel on top?  Skillet/oven/toaster oven would overcook the egg before it got warm enough...
  • I'll be careful.  I'm doing a huge grocery run today to stock up the house.

Boy kit is Pepo, and girl kit is Isabella.  The names were inspired by our Spanish travels.  The girl kitten is adorable but regal and super intelligent (like a queen), but the boy is fearless and goofy.
  • Thanks Muni.  I'll give that a shot cause I'm getting hungry.

Are you recovered from your jet lag and unpacked from your trip yet?
  • Good morning.

They cancelled school for tomorrow so I will have a day off. We are going to go shopping and get some food in a little bit. It doesn't look bad outside at the moment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I didn't really get too bad of jetlag- its usually worse when you live east of where you were traveling.  And thanks to H's issues, we were totally unpacked and laundered 36 hours after we got back.  
  • True.  I always had a harder time flying TO Europe (all 2 times that I've gone LOL) than coming back.

Yay for a free day Petal - will you have to make up the time at some point though?
  • I always unpack within a day and have all the laundry done as well, but H still hasn't unpacked, and he put all the clean laundry I did for him BACK IN THE SUITCASE.  Who does that?!  He asked why we don't entertain at our house.  The main reason is that (other than the day the maid comes) he turns the place into a sty.
  • I know we've had this conversation before... but I want a maid :).
  • Whaaaaaat Mica?  He put it in the suitcase?  That is effing weird.

My husband's a freak, but he's the exact opposite kind of freak.  He had an anxiety attack because we hadn't finished unpacking and putting everything away by noon the day after we got back.  And we got in at 10PM.
  • We have built in days so that we don't have to make them up. I think we can take 4 days off before we have to make it up.

That is a little weird to put the laundry back in the suitcase. FI is more the kind to leave it and continue using things out of it until it's empty...which could be weeks later.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's funny Mica.

I'm normally the one who unpacks the next day.  DH's suitcase can be out for weeks.   This time it took me a few days.  He was unpacked by the next day and did laundry.  He was still on vacation.  He also likes that we have a storage unit to put the luggage in so I think that motivated him.

Putting cleans clothes back in the luggage is just crazy.

• Petal - sounds like snow days in WI. :)

I am sometimes guilty of living out of the suitcase for a few days when we get back, but once I do laundry it gets put away, not back in the suitcase.
  • H is a nut.  Actually, it's probably because of two things:
    1. HIs side of the closet is a mess, and there was no easy way to put the clothing away.
    2. On the nights when I did the laundry, H came to bed much later than me.  Normally, I fold the laundry and leave it on the bed, so for him to get into his side of the bed, he had to put the clothing somewhere, so he chose the nearby suitcase with clean clothing in it (since I already took the dirty laundry out).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards