North Carolina
Options

In sickness and in health...

It's not everyday you get a chance to see how your FI/significant other will handle the stress of a major disease.  I can say with all certainty I know Ryan will stand by my side after this week.

I was diagnosed  with Type 1 diabetes on Tuesday afternoon.  Now I know you may be thinking what's the big deal?  The big deal is eat the wrong thing, forget to test your sugar or take your insulin and you are in the hospital.

Ryan has sat with me at the doctor's office, learned how to give injections, and just been all around wonderful.  I know when we speak this vow on June 12th I can really count him to take care of me.

Re: In sickness and in health...

• Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You seriously just brought a tear to my eye. I'm sorry about your diagnosis but you're lucky to have someone you know will stand by you no matter what. 
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Couldnt agree more with pp.
    Last easter my appendix was on the verge of busting and so at 2am Easter morning Chris rushed me to the ER. We weren't taken into a room until 5 (even though we were the only ones inthe waiting room. . long story) and over-all i wasnt out of surgery until 5pm. Chris stayed there through everything and I knew from then on he'd be there when I needed him.

It almost sounds morbid, but I think it was good that we went though something like that. Its a learning experience.

You've got a keeper and Im also sorry you're going through the health aspect, but know he'll be there if you need him :)

Best wishes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree completely with both pp.  I am so sorry you are going through that, but really happy you have a life long partner with you. Aww, definitely hit the heart hard with this post. 

I was seriously dating a guy, before I met FI. I was diagnosed with a blood disorder and a few months later, had to have my spleen taken out.  That guy, who I was planning on marrying, was not there for me.  He didn't visit till later that afternoon and it was for maybe an hour? We had been dating for 3 years at the time. Eh, anyway I am very happy I have FI now, who I know has a better love/relationship with me. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, it definitely takes a special person to help you push through and stick by your side when you or a loved one is ill.
    last year my father had a stroke and never fully recovered, my mom works full time and so do i. FI spends more time with my dad and helped take him to appointments and to his car club meetings and get him out of the house. FI also works full time but when it rains he gets stuck at home and he uses these days now to help my dad out alot. we never asked for this, he just does it.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This post is making me weepy. I'm so happy to hear that everyone has built these amazing, strong relationships with their guys. I luckily haven't had anything go terribly wrong, yet, but I know my guy will be there for me. My dad is going through some heart issues and everytime I got a bad call about it (when he had to go into an emergancy bipass & then that failed) my fiancee was always there for me to cry to. It's really nice to have someone there to lean on - you can't always be so strong yourself.

Liz, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Diabetes is nothing to scoff at - it's a very serious disease that you will probably live with for the rest of your life. My uncle has Type 2 diabetes, but he's working out & eating better and I think he's starting to get rid of it. With Type 1 there's really nothing you can do to get rid of it, but with someone there to help you out it will be a lot easier to keep the disease under control! There's always a silver lining, right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear that :(  I used to date a guy who has had Type 1 since he was 5 years old. He wore an insulin pump and couldnt drive at night, but his case was severe. It is definitely nothing to shake a stick at, it's serious stuff. My father has Type 2, but he could totally reverse that with healthier eating/exercise. Type 1, there's nothing you can do, BUT modern medicine is so advanced that you can still lead a perfectly normal, long healthy life, thank goodness. I know what you mean about having someone stick by you, DH (FI at the time) really stood by me when the mole I had removed was diagnosed as melanoma (invasive skin cancer that is fatal when not caught early). I really felt like the whole world was falling down at that time, scariest thing I have ever been through.
  • Options
    el_sundropel_sundrop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but happy to hear you have a wonderful man who is really, truly there for you. Thank you for your post. I've been with FI for almost 7 years and he has always been so great to me. It has stood out even more so since I started going through very complex and rare procedures last July, because of my bone disorder. We've had to make countless trips back and forth to nyc and that is the least of the hardship--what I'm going through is somewhat shocking actually (although I've become accustomed by this point) and has been very traumatic at times. It has made our lives very difficult, but the hardest parts should finally/hopefully all be over come April/May. Anyway, I've always appreciated him, but this thread reminded me to make sure I never ever take it for granted and to remember each day how lucky I am. There are a lot of bad and not so great guys out there...but we are so lucky to have found the truly great ones who are there for us no matter what!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Sorry to hear about your dx but it's very sweet that your FH is helping you through!!!  Please take care of yourself!!

TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET BFN
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Sorry for the recent bad news....I am guessing that you found out the hard way that you have Type I Diabetes?!  I am a nurse, and I unfortunately get to deliver that news to people quite often.  So while I don't personally know what it's like to have to keep up with all of that stuff, I do get to frequently help educate people on how to live with diabetes.  So, if you ever have any questions at all, feel free to page me on here!  That's so sweet that your FI is sticking by you through all of this and ready and willing to do whatever it takes to help you with it!  Congrats on finding a great guy to share the rest of your life with!  That is such a great feeling when you realize that you have found someone that you can truly depend on!  I don't know what I'd do without my best friend (FI).  Let me know if I can help in any way!  Take care!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Liz, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I hope it becomes easier as time goes by to manage your diabetes.  I'm glad to hear your FI has stood by you through all this, and is supportive to assist you.  Our trials make us stronger as human beings and in our relationships.

Sundrop24, what type of blood disorder do you have?  I have a blood disorder as well, and had to have my spleen removed at age 5.

I've also been through and continue to go through a scary situation that my FI has stood by me.  I was told about a year ago that I have a cyst in my pancreas.  I've had 2 CT scans and 1 MRI on that area, and a biopsy.  It's not maglinant, but I do have to monitor it.  The crazy thing is I've never had pancreatitis.   He's been there through everything, and I couldn't ask for a better person by my side.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_sickness-health?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:8880f89a-4c38-4c47-b6a9-a21bcc73691cPost:b1bc5c89-cdb1-4be3-b959-604a1fd3daec">Re: In sickness and in health...</a>:
    [QUOTE] We weren't taken into a room until 5 (even though we were the only ones inthe waiting room. . long story)
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

Weird, that happened to me too when I had appendicitis.  We went to Rex and there wasn't a soul in the place since it was so early in the morning yet it still took three hours before the surgeon looked at me and rushed me into surgery.  They said if they had waited any longer there's a good chance I would have gone septic D:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for the well wishing.  I am glad to know you have all found someone who can be supportive during the tough times.

I am starting to get used to the insulin, change in eating.  I am so thankful it is a disease that can be managed pretty easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards