Getting in Shape

How to be ok not losing weight?

I am struggling to be ok with being at my "goal" weight. I never real set a goal, but this fall was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. After getting on Metformin and following a carb-restricted diet I've lost about 20 pounds. I am now at 5'8" and 130 pounds, which  is healthy... but my whole life I've been trying to lose weight- and I don't know how to stop! I feel guilty all the time when my weight dosn't go down.

I know this should seem like a good problem to have, but body image for me (and nearly all of us women) is such a sensitive subject. Its hard to keep everything in perspective. I still track my food, exercise a great deal, and feel healthy. My question is how do I keep the right frame of mind about maintaining my weight?

Re: How to be ok not losing weight?

• Wait, if you are HYPOglycemic, why are you on metformin?
  • I am hypoglycemic because I am hyper-inslinimc (which, apparently is what they call it). Essentially, when I eat, my body produces way too much insilin (about 14 times what is needed, for me personally). Thus, every time I eat, my sugar crashes.
     Of the three ways metformin interacts with your body, I need two: it helps to control the ammount of inslin that I produce, and it keeps my liver producing glucose when I am not eating to help get my blook sugar back up to normal.

I think its weird taking a drug to lower blood sugar with low sugar, but apparently it works.
  • I don't know if this will help, but I don't own a scale. In fact, I don't even know how much I weigh. As long as I look good in the mirror, that's enough for me!

So maybe you should just get rid of your scale? I know it sounds simple/weird, but I bet it will help.

The "goal" that I set for going to the gym was related to developing a healthy body fat percentage. I got tested and found out that I am 6% higher than what is a healthy mount for a girl my age. So now, I'll be going to to gym - not weighing myself, but re-doing the body fat test every month to track my progress.

I just think the weighing yourself all the time is a self esteem killer. We should all not be so worried about a dumb number and be more concerned about being healthy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    August 13, 2011
    RSVP Date: June 17th

119 image Invited to party!!
    65 image Have decided to (also) be awesome!
    41 image Are party poopers
    13 image Can't Find their mailbox...

• Honestly, I think you should talk to your doctor about it.  This is something that could benefit quite a bit from talking to a professional.  Body image and weight loss isn't something to mess around with.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_ok-not-losing-weight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:53ef562b-64e5-40ba-aa0a-7c0c3bafc2a3Post:f6a3baaa-2577-4da9-af2e-904e4f99f0ab">Re: How to be ok not losing weight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if this will help, but I don't own a scale. In fact, I don't even know how much I weigh. As long as I look good in the mirror, that's enough for me! <strong>So maybe you should just get rid of your scale? I</strong> know it sounds simple/weird, but I bet it will help. The "goal" that I set for going to the gym was related to developing a healthy body fat percentage. I got tested and found out that I am 6% higher than what is a healthy mount for a girl my age. So now, I'll be going to to gym - not weighing myself, but re-doing the body fat test every month to track my progress. I just think the weighing yourself all the time is a self esteem killer. We should all not be so worried about a dumb number and be more concerned about being healthy!
    Posted by alasen[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ditto this

</div>
  • Thanks for the advice, ladies. I think you are right, and I need to give up the scale.

J&K, I'll consider talking to my Doctor. He simply told me "you need to weigh as little as possible" which did nothing to help my frame of mind. I have worked with a dietian, who is great. I'll try to work with her again :)

I just looked at the my body gallery, and it does help to help me think how others see me, and how I should see myself.
  • Yeah, your doctor sounds like kind of a jerk.  I mean, I get what he's trying to say, but dang he could have worded it a lot better.

I think a registered dietician is a great idea.  If you're open to it, therapy/counseling with a psychologist is a great way to look at your body image and address your concerns.  But I know that it's not for everyone.  If you're not comfortable with that, starting with an RD is a great idea.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • He is definitely a jerk. I know what me means too... its just crazy how awful he was!

Thanks for the suggestion. Its interesting to see your response to my posts. I am getting my Masters in Counseling, and just finished a 3 year counseling relationship- which was great but I'm moving. we never had enough time to get into this issue, but I really will consider it.

Thanks for your kind and outside point of view. It helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards