Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cash Bar

I know this has probably been asked a million times but should i enclose something or put it on a menu card that says we are having a cash bar. Tacky or not we acnt afford to provide alcohol for everyone and know that our families will want to celebrate. So how do we let people know about this just word of mouth or what?

Re: Cash Bar

• You can put a sign on the bar. It's pretty tacky to put it in the invites. The best way to do it would be to spread the message by word of mouth so that no one shows up without cash to pay for their drinks.

(Note: This advice in no way endorses the practice of having a cash bar.)
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • I would spread it word of mouth and if you have a website you can put it on there.
  • Don't put it in the invites.  Word of mouth.  I don't advocate cash bars, but they suck even more if you show up without money.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• No offense, but writing "cash bar" on an invitation or menu just makes a tacky situation tackier....  If you are set on the cash bar, I would advise not to write it anywhere, and just let word get out.  

• Are cash bars common in your circle?  If so, cash bars are fine but I agree with everyone else, it would be tacky to be put on the invite.  Definitely word of mouth.

In our circle, everyone does free beer and wine and cash bar for everything else.  We hardly ever have a open bar wedding in our town/area.  We po folk  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wasnt planning on putting cash bar on invite or menu card just didnt know if I should. We are providing wine and beer however some like mixed drinks and there will be a cash bar for those.
  • Word of mouth.  If you're hosting anything (beer, wine, signature drink), you can note on the website and with a cute sign on the bar:

Water, Tea, Coffee, Soda, Beer, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Mai Tais are compliments of the Bride and Groom.

A full bar is available.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I have a question for those who have been to weddings with cash bars. The last cash bar wedding I went to let me hold my tab open with my debit card, and then charged my debit card. Are bars in wedding venues without the ability to take a card payment extremely common? That would appear to be the case and it surprises me.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • lapcanlapcan member
    First Comment
    I would not put it anywhere on the invited.  Spread this by word of mouth only.

IMHO, I think that beer and wine is plenty for a reception.  That's what we served along with a margarita machine.
  • LC- I have never been to a wedding with a cash bar that accepts debit/credit cards. That's odd.
  • LC-most wedding that I have been to have a limited bar and cash for the rest.  I don't think that I have ever seen one that takes debit cards.  That being said, I don't come from a town that has hotels with venues.  Everything that we have here are halls and whatnot.  The only place here that I can think of that might take debit/credit cards is the country club and I have never seen anyone have a reception there.  I would think that this would be common practice these days though.
    1st pic of us together. Apparently I thought something was funny.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~Holly and Jeff~
    image 232 Made the cut! image 96 Ready to party!
    image 44 Have better things to do!
    image 92 Are going to cause me to have a stroke!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cash-bar-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7ec1558-29d4-49ab-ada7-ef7d5814f541Post:8cffe902-6938-4c1a-95a6-5c0eb21d6043">Re: Cash Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]LC- I have never been to a wedding with a cash bar that accepts debit/credit cards. That's odd.
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

same here.  I've always had to bring cash.
    murrayed
  • LC- I've only ever seen cash bars, never been to a wedding that accepted debit or credit.
  • Most of the reception halls in my hometown where I've gone to most of my weddings don't even allow the sale of liquor. You can provide it, but the bartender can't sell it. So we either get beer/wine or the rare open bar. I think the only place that I've seen a cash bar for spirits was at a country club and I think they had debit card services there.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cash-bar-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7ec1558-29d4-49ab-ada7-ef7d5814f541Post:8cffe902-6938-4c1a-95a6-5c0eb21d6043">Re: Cash Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]LC- I have never been to a wedding with a cash bar that accepts debit/credit cards. That's odd.
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]
    I'm the opposite, all weddings that I have been to with a cash bar option have accepted credit/debit cards. I would think of it as odd if they didn't.  Probably depends on where you are (in terms of locale) and the actual venue.

Agree about the dry wedding!!! I went to one recently where the reception was dry and they also ran out of food!  Luckily there was an after party that had hosted beer & wine and cash bar for other liquor.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cash-bar-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f7ec1558-29d4-49ab-ada7-ef7d5814f541Post:462ee3fd-fba5-4954-bffa-620e3d5eae0b">Re: Cash Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll take a cash bar over a dry wedding. Dry weddings kinda suck. And yes, no need to put that in the invitations but I would appreciate if someone lets me know so I can go to the ATM and get more cash since I only carry a certain amount with me.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]
    I completely agreee!!! I also agree with previous posters word of mouth and put sign up at bar!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it is common in your area then I don't see the need to announce it at all.  I do like the wording Squirrly recommended though if you want to put a sign up by the bar.  We always go to a wedding with cash handy, people will think ahead. 
  • Almost every wedding I've been to has had a cash bar so I always bring cash to a wedding. If it's common in your circle they'll know. I like Squirrly's idea if you feel the need to state it.

Re: credit cards. Maybe it depends on the venue? We had our reception in the ballroom of a restaurant. We provided a full open bar cocktail hour and a big bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Grigio at each table, everything after that was "cash" however they took debit cards and did tabs for people.

• word of mouth... and maybe a note on your wedding website if you have one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards