April 2013 Weddings

First dance song

FI and I cannot agree on a first dance song.  He is really into indie rock-type songs and I want something more traditional.  What are you guys using as your first dance song??  Help!

Re: First dance song

• I've got nothing. Literally nothing. I knocked out the ceremony and reception playlists in like 2 days but picking a song for the first dance? I went blank.

FI has nothing either, we'll either not do it ... or think of something later I guess. :P I know that's not helpful, sorry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

April 2013 March Siggy - Bridesmaid Dress

• My FIance and I are dancing to Eagle Eye Cherry "To Love somebody" (BeeGee cover)

• FI made it easy for me. We went with the song he sung to me on our first date. It's not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination (it's Journey, for the love of everything holy), but it's one of his favorites and it has history. So there you go.
  • The very first slow dance song FI and I danced to was I Swear by John Michael Montgomery. We have a couple of songs actually and will also use those. One is Kelly Clarkson's "Before Your Love" (our last dance song) and and the other is Little Moments by Brad Paisly.

Some other good ones:
    Amazed - Lonestar
    Grow Old Along with Me
    From This Moment On
    Longer Than

Hope this helps!
  • FI and I went back and forth for months on this. Originally, we went with a cover of Faithfully by boyce avenue and then FI thought that was too boring. Then FI was thinking of a frank sinatra song, but i couldn't find one I liked enough. We had song requests on our RSVPs and were using those for ideas and one of my BMs suggested - Lady Antebellum- when you got a good thing and we both liked it. FI thought it was slightly too country, but still agreed to it. As a compromise, I let him choose the song for our reception enterance (Which will be AC/DC Thunderstruck).

Follow Me on Pinterest

• We are using Smile by Uncle Kracker.  We love it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love this song but FI thinks that its too fast, which it kind of is.  Agh!!

• God Gave Me You by Dave Barnes was going to be ours if we had dancing! Or any version of of Can't Help Falling in Love with You.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_first-dance-song-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:005e5b12-6f23-452d-b123-fda624172bc4Post:e3d416fb-3f2c-4d3c-9f55-7942bc95b90b">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love this song but FI thinks that its too fast, which it kind of is.  Agh!! <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hfJtAe_pCY" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hfJtAe_pCY</a>
    Posted by flojo973[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>This is a great song!! This would be a great first dance song! You should tell your Fiance that the song doesn't have to be slow :)</div>
  • I love it!  I think the words are so beautiful.  He told me it was "clubby" so I think I'm going to lose that battle, lol.  So frustrating!  

I do like "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" - that's a good option, thanks!
  • FI picked Marry Me by Train since that is the song he proposed to me by.  I like it and we are going with it, but I also liked Wanted by Hunter Hayes and Two is Better than One by Boys like girls ft/Taylor Swift.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • edited March 2013
    We are using Fools Rush In (Can't Help Falling In Love With You), so I'm super stoked to see that people on here think it's a good idea, haha.  Honestly, the Elvis version gives me chills and it's not too long or too short.  We toyed with using the Ingrid Michelson version, but FI thought it might be a little too girly so we stuck with the King.  Honestly, it's a great song, super romantic, and everyone knows it (even my 87 year old foreign grandmother loves Elvis!). 

But, to spice things up and make them a little more modern, we have the bridal party walking in to "Marry You" by Bruno Mars.

Other ideas - my sister used "Amazed" by Lonestar (which someone mentioned above) and my parents went for Chicago's "Color My World".  I love love love Ben Folds "The Luckiest", but a friend of ours used it last year and FI wasn't huge into it.  Jason Mraz "I'm Yours" was done at two weddings I went to recently - maybe too popular?
    White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker 168 invited image | 61 are coming image | 10 can't make it image | 97 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 9th
  • FI and I haven't narrowed ours down yet. We have three. Leanne Rhimes How Do I Live (just because we always sing this together when it comes on the radio and we blast it), All-4-1 I Swear (because it's an awesome song, and another we used to sing together), and the final is K-Ci & JoJo (spelling?) All My Life because it's a more traditional song.
    Anniversary
  • Going off Jason Mraz- his song Lucky with Colbie Callait is cute as is I won't Give Up On Us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love the choices! this was such a hard decision.  We are using Jack Johnson Better Together.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u57d4_b_YgI

FI thinks its too fast as well, but loved the words/message so we are just going to practice dancing :)
  • When we first got engaged we liked Staind-Tangled up in you

Then for the past 6 months its been Lone Star-Amazed

Annnnd finally the song will now be Christina Perri-1000 Years

• Ours is Cant Take My Eyes off You by Lady Antebellum, but I also love Adele's cover of Make You Feel My love. A Thousand Years by Christina Perri, Lucky by Jason Mraz and colbie caillat, If There's Love by Citizens Cope are all good too. Unchained Melody by the the Righteous Brothers is also a lovely song that were using for the anniversary dance. Oh and Leather and Lace by Stevie Nicks is a favorite of mine too. Hope that helps!
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always wanted "Lucky" and then we thought we were going to go with "I won't give up" final selection was "Makin' Plans" by Miranda Lambert because it's on this CD I made for him a couple of years ago that he always listens to when he's driving up to visit me.  For a FI that 'isn't into wedding planning" he sure is opinionated on some of the bigger stuff ;-)
  • We're doing "Yer So Bad" by Tom Petty (link). It's weird but it's so very us :) I love it.

Some suggestions for you though (other ones I had liked and thought of):
    "I'm Yours" Jason Mraz
    "Swept Away" Avett Brothers
    "The Luckiest" Ben Folds
    "The Story" Brandi Carlile
    "The Way I Am" Ingrid Michaelson
  • blondii428blondii428 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    We are dancing to the song that my FI said reminded him of me whenever he heard it when we first started dating it's called "Guardian Angel" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg
  • We are using the luckiest by ben folds....
  • We're using "Hey Pretty Girl" by Kip Moore....lyrics are great for our first dance as husband & wife!

• Our first dance is to You and Me by Dave Matthews band!
  • We're doing I Swear by All-4-One (I love the 90s!)

I was set on I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz, but my uncle is singing it at the ceremony instead. 

Others I considered (I think a good mix of Indie and traditional):
    The Way I Am, Ingrid Michaelson
    I Wanna Grow Old With You, Adam Sandler
    I'll Be There, Jackson 5
    Fine By Me, Andy Grammer (really considered this because it's very practical instead of lovey-dovey like us, but decided it was too fast and we have no rhythm)

More 90s tunes I considered:
    I Can Love You Like That, All-4-One
    I Could Not Ask for More, Edwin McCain
    More Than Words, Extreme
    I'll Stand By You, The Pretenders
  • We are using Keeper of the Stars by Tracy Bird :
  • You Belong Here by Anberlin
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_first-dance-song-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:005e5b12-6f23-452d-b123-fda624172bc4Post:e65b7896-b3e7-4b71-91ed-57459c9bb7a7">Re: First dance song</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing I Swear by All-4-One (I love the 90s!) I was set on I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz, but my uncle is singing it at the ceremony instead.  Others I considered (I think a good mix of Indie and traditional): The Way I Am, Ingrid Michaelson I Wanna Grow Old With You, Adam Sandler I'll Be There, Jackson 5 Fine By Me, Andy Grammer (really considered this because it's very practical instead of lovey-dovey like us, but decided it was too fast and we have no rhythm) More 90s tunes I considered: I Can Love You Like That, All-4-One I Could Not Ask for More, Edwin McCain More Than Words, Extreme I'll Stand By You, The Pretenders
    Posted by rslilly1[/QUOTE]

Hahaha I am using Ingrid for my processional and we are using Adam sandler for when we cut the cake :)
  • We are doing "Can you Feel the Love Tonight" by Elton John
  • We are going with dont wanna miss a thing by Aerosmith. Originally it was still the one by Shania Twain... But the Aerosmith song came on in the car one day and we both were singing and decided it was the one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Were using a song by our favorite band, Alkaline trio, super small band no one has ever heard of :) lol but he proposed on New Years Eve and we went to see them in Chicago. :) They dont have many love songs, so it was easy to pick what one we wanted! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards