Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

MN Boat Club or Wabasha St. Caves

I've narrowed down my venues to the Minesota Boat Club and Wabasha Street Caves.  Both have positive aspects that are making this a tough decision.  Did anyone have their wedding at either of these places?  And if so, what is your honest feedback about the venue??

Re: MN Boat Club or Wabasha St. Caves

• schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not have my wedding at either but have been to receptions at both.  Depending on your guest list #s, the Boat Club can get pretty snug when you get close to their max # of people.  That being said, it is a beautiful venue, esp if your reception will be in a month where you can use the deck overlooking the river.   As for the Caves, the one thing that I didn't really like about the reception that we went to there.... our table was not super close to the head table/dance floor.   We we in the part up by the fireplace.   We couldn't really even see the head table, nor could we hear when people we doing their toasts.  Just something to think about.  I kinda liked how they had some actors there to tell a little about the history and stories of the Caves.  HTH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hoff0079hoff0079 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Schmood: a few questions.  Regarding the caves, can you tell me what month the wedding was in?  Was it humid?  And how many people aprox. was the wedding?

As for the Boat House...did they have the ceremony outside?  And do you remember if parking was difficult?

Thanks much!!
  • schmoodschmood member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Caves wedding was in August, the reception in the evening.  I don't recall it being humid....actually, when we went on our little guided costumed tour, it was chilly in that part of the cave.  I think that there were about 150 ppl there.

The one at the Boat House, was just a reception, not a ceremony, so can't give you advice on that one.  I think there were about 100 ppl there - it seemed like getting too many more tables in there would have made it a tight squeeze.   I was there in January, so we weren't out on the deck....that would definatley offer a lot more space to move around. I do remember parking being a little bit of a pain...  but  know they've done some reconstructing down there since I was last there.  When I was there, the parking lot was dirt, have they paved it?  It was kind of a free for all since there weren't spaces marked. 

I know there are a couple of girls on here that are having/have had the Caves as their venue....so hopefully they'll weigh in too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married and having our reception at the MN Boat Club. Before you book, I'd highly recommend visiting the venue on a day when they're setting up for a wedding event that is similar in size to what you expect yours to be. It was really helpful for us to see how the tables are arranged (we're doing the max 130 ppl for plated meal, not buffet), where the DJ sets up, how the ceremony chairs are laid out etc. Parking didn't seem to be a problem when we've been by there to check out other weddings.  The only problem we may foresee is that Harriet Island Pavilion is also booked on our day so the parking lots will be full to capacity, but we'll make do.  It's also walking distance from our main hotel (Crowne Plaza) so hopefully that will cut back on vehicles being used as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    OOOOh!!!  Just got married at the Caves and have nothing but great things about the venue.  Our guests LOVED it!  We did not do a seated dinner-we had food stations, and everyone just loved how it flowed.  We had our wedding August 8-super hot outside, but it was perfect inside!  We had about 200 guests.  HTH!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards