Wedding Etiquette Forum

Another thank you question.... (a bit long, sorry)

Little bit of back story is that we are getting married next August and we always assumed we would pay for our wedding ourselves. We never expected anything from my parents as they had always said they would rather help us with a deposit for a house rather than a wedding and his parents spend lots of money on his children (children with an ex) so we never expected anything from them either.

So, we've done some initial plans and worked out how much it would cost and worked out how we would afford it and it was all hunky dorey. Then i made some life desicions and decided that i wanted to go to medical school next September (2011, 2 weeks after my wedding!) so there is now something else we need to save for so we've discussed it and said that if we need to we'll cut stuff out the wedding.

A couple of weeks ago there was a wedding fare at our venue so we asked his parents and some of the wedding party if they'd like to come and see the venue and so they all came. We had a wander round, everyone loved it and we went for a drink in the bar where they asked us about the wedding plans such as food, timings etc etc. So we told them that we'd like to do all the bells and whistles but if we couldn't afford some stuff this might change depending on what we can save etc etc but we were cool with this because if i go to medical school, obviously it's an investment in the future.

A few days later his mum called him and said they'd like to give us £2000 (just over a quarter of the budget) towards our wedding because they didn't want to see us cut stuff that we wanted. This is absolutely wonderful of them and has really lifted some money worries and of course FI thanked them profusly on the phone but i want to thank them myself.

Thing is i'm not so good thinking of what to say face to face and tbh i think it would embarras them too but i really want to show them how much we appreciate their contribution. I thought about writing them a thank you letter but i wrote one of those when they gave us some vouchers as an engagement present and i dont want a £100 tesco voucher towards a new appliance we needed to be thanked in the same way a £2000 contribution to a wedding.

Flowers die, some presents can be tacky, a note just isn't enough, taking them out for a meal is an option but i think they would prefer something that they can enjoy and know we appreciate them without us grovelling in front of them.

Any ideas??

Re: Another thank you question.... (a bit long, sorry)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-thank-question-bit-long-sorry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57365ce3-9f50-4979-9c45-79a4e3837745Post:bf8b3227-a08a-42b4-8052-ae66f682ad4c">Another thank you question.... (a bit long, sorry)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Little bit of back story is that we are getting married next August and we always assumed we would pay for our wedding ourselves. We never expected anything from my parents as they had always said they would rather help us with a deposit for a house rather than a wedding and his parents spend lots of money on his children (children with an ex) so we never expected anything from them either. So, we've done some initial plans and worked out how much it would cost and worked out how we would afford it and it was all hunky dorey. Then i made some life desicions and decided that i wanted to go to medical school next September (2011, 2 weeks after my wedding!) so there is now something else we need to save for so we've discussed it and said that if we need to we'll cut stuff out the wedding. A couple of weeks ago there was a wedding fare at our venue so we asked his parents and some of the wedding party if they'd like to come and see the venue and so they all came. We had a wander round, everyone loved it and we went for a drink in the bar where they asked us about the wedding plans such as food, timings etc etc. So we told them that we'd like to do all the bells and whistles but if we couldn't afford some stuff this might change depending on what we can save etc etc but we were cool with this because if i go to medical school, obviously it's an investment in the future. A few days later his mum called him and said they'd like to give us £2000 (just over a quarter of the budget) towards our wedding because they didn't want to see us cut stuff that we wanted. This is absolutely wonderful of them and has really lifted some money worries and of course FI thanked them profusly on the phone but i want to thank them myself. <strong>Thing is i'm not so good thinking of what to say face to face </strong>and tbh i think it would embarras them too but i really want to show them how much we appreciate their contribution. I thought about writing them a thank you letter but i wrote one of those when they gave us some vouchers as an engagement present and i dont want a £100 tesco voucher towards a new appliance we needed to be thanked in the same way a £2000 contribution to a wedding. Flowers die, some presents can be tacky, a note just isn't enough, taking them out for a meal is an option but i think they would prefer something that they can enjoy and know we appreciate them without us grovelling in front of them. Any ideas??
    Posted by sophs_ro@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

I think  you're overthinking this.  If you're grown up enough to get married, go to med school, and accept a gift, you should be able to have a face-to-face thank you conversation.  Anyway,  a heartfelt note/letter is always okay, regardless of the amount of the gift.  Sure, flowers die but it doesn't stop people from enjoying them so if that's what you want to send, send them.   Do they have any hobbies they enjoy as a couple?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• CN: Bride is going to med school so FI's parents contributed 2000 pounds to their wedding fund to help out a bit.   Since she already wrote them a nice thank you letter for the engagement gift, what's an appropriate thank you for this larger gift?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I agree with Mrs B. You should just say something face to face. Remember, next year they are going to be your family. You should be able to thank them like you would thank your own parents.

If that is ABSOLUTELY not an option, then I would send flowers, along with a thank you note. 
  • A note is still completely acceptable.  It's a different gift, so you'd use different words, and that makes the note different. 

Also, if you like flowers but don't want them to die, what about a rose bush or something else for the garden? 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    A potted orchid and a nice note about being thrilled to marry their son and join their generous and caring family will go a long way.
  • Hmmm, maybe something sentimental? I'm not sure what exactly, but I'd shop around gift stores and see if there's anything that would fit... but then, I know that is the type of thing my mother appreciates which is why I'd head straight for anything soppy. I think a card or note would suffice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards