Arizona-Phoenix

Caterer booked & Dress vent.

So a big and happy check is knocked off my list. I put my deposit down on my caterer today :) I am so glad to have one decision out of the way. It was a last minute change too, we were set on one caterer and then our favorite, came back with a counter offer to stay competitive and we scooped that up! I am so excited and happy about the plans for our food. The caterer has been so amazing! If they keep up this service I know we will have amazing food on our wedding day.

Now my vent... I went dress shopping for the first time today. Checked out that new dress outlet type place Brilliant Bridal on Dobson & Baseline, checked out Wedding Emporium quickly because they were supposed to carry a line of dresses I liked online.... to find out that they no longer carry them... and then hit AZ Bridal Warehouse. I need modest style dresses with sleeves and it is so frustrating the lack of them. Even here in Mesa, which is highly Mormon populated and in need of modest dress styles it is so hard to get much of a variety. I mean I feel like I have 5-6 dresses to pick from with all I've seen. I look at all these gorgeous strapless gowns and feel sad. I found a couple of dresses I like... but still, just makes me frustrated. I can shop modest dresses online and have a larger choice.... but I am deathly afraid of buying a dress without having tried it on first.

I really wish there was more to pick from :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Caterer booked & Dress vent.

• edited December 2011
    Honestly I think you may be better off finding a dress that you love, and having sleeves added to it. It would be even easier if you're not too tall, and the dress has to be hemmed anyway, so there would be extra material, or you could order some extra material from the designer.  It's pretty simple for any decent seamstress, and it will open up your options tremendously!  Some designers will even modify their dresses for things like that if you're really set on one of their dresses.   You have plenty of time...  don't settle for something you're not totally in love with, especially for a dress!

Congrats on getting the caterer that you wanted booked!  That's a great step!
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• kolina93kolina93 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I purchased a sleeveless dress because I didn't like the sleeves on any of the dresses that I tried on that actually had sleeves. I had something particular in mind since as I don't ever go sleeveless and my arms are kind of "big" more like flubby. :(

The gal, Diana at "Sew What" who AZ Bridal Warehouse highly recommends for alterations is adding the exact sleeves that I want plus she had some additional recommendations that have made my dress just perfect. She said she does a ton a adding to dresses especially for the Morman Brides, I'm not Morman, but I still wanted modest.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the addition of the sleeves and beading cost no more than $100, probably less.
  • djshumwaydjshumway member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm really scared of spending all that money on a dress and having sleeves sewn on though... feels to me like it would not look right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went back to AZ Bridal warehouse with a friend to show her the two dresses I liked. I ended up trying a couple more on that I didn't like the look of on the hanger and they were actually really beautiful, so I have a few more options there now. I am going to try Azteca Bridal before I make any decisions, maybe see what small modest selection David's has too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That's good, take your time and look around a lot!  =)

I'm sure you'll be able to  find something that you love!
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• edited December 2011
    Are you against wearing a bolero/bridal jacket?  If not you should see if there are any available to try when you go to try on dresses!

http://www.tulipbridal.com/WEDDING-BOLEROS-WEDDING-JACKETS-WEDDING-WRAPS_c_35.html
    79 Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a huge fan of the wedding jacket things... but in most cases the strapless downs are too low at the front anyways.

I think the whole wedding thing is just stressing me out ugh
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I also needed a dress with sleeves. I found a really good selection of dresses at Kaira's Bridal in Phoenix. The people there are realyl helpful and super nice. My dress was normally $1100.00 I got it for $323.00!!! Might be a little far of a drive for you.. but it is worth a look.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards