Wedding Etiquette Forum

What rule did you break?

J&K got me wondering with one of her Superlative questions, so as not to threadjack:

What rule of etiquette did you break, if any?

I still haven't finished my thank you cards.  That's the only one I can think of off the top.

Re: What rule did you break?

• We sent the STD's right before my aunt filed for divorce, so we ended up not sending him a invite.
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    We hosted beer and wine all night, and had liquor available cash.  But we didn't have a choice (I mean, of course we did, we could have picked another venue, but most of them do it like that around here, and frankly, in my circle, hosting anything is great), and I own that shiiit.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I took a long time to finish my cards too. 

I didn't do table visits. We had some drama during the time we were supposed to do table visits, and after I just wanted to get drunk. So I did.
  • I put "no gifts please" on the engagement party invitations.

I had no clue that it was poor etiquette
  • ElleB87ElleB87 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Hmmmm...I guess ours would have to be having a "reception" after our private DW...MIL insisted on hosting it and would not take no for an answer, no matter how any times we* declined. It was a fun party but I definitely cringed when people I had never met (MIL's friends) asked where we were registered.

*oops...edited
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I took too long to send thank yous because around here it's customary to use one of your pictures. Once I got that though I got them out pretty quick. I think I had them all out within two months after the wedding. I did just get a thank you from a wedding on Friday and the wedding was July 1 of 2011!
  • Oh, I basically planned my entire bachelorette party.  The girls asked me what I wanted to do, so I laid it all out there.  And I don't regret doing it either, because I had a blast. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-rule-did-you-break?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:33a70e7f-174a-4925-88b9-8bf3965121bePost:0d709fe9-9586-4847-85a3-ef6683d86543">Re: What rule did you break?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sent thank you notes to people who came but didn't gift a gift just to thank them for spending the day with us. I don't know if this is really against etiquette, but I've seen a lot of people on here say they think it can be seen as gift grabby.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

H and I did this to.  We definitely weren't trying to be gift grabby but just really wanted to thank everyone for coming.  I had no idea that it could come across like that until I read it on here.

• I did not invite MIL's boyfriend. He's married to someone else.

I had a little too much to drink. I wasn't sloppy drunk, but I did not look classy.
  • Special, I'm not gonna lie...if I had your MIL I would have gotten sloppy, and then proceeded to tell her what I thought of her.

My MOH is dating a married man.  H was 100% against him coming.  Luckily, they broke up for the week of our wedding. 
  • The house we rented for the weekend had efficiencies attached that we had to rent with the house.  We rented them out to people and they paid us.  THE HORROR.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Rach, you didn't do RSVPs?  How does that even work?

• In our invite packet, there was an insert that said "For directions, hotel reservations, and registry info, please visit www.ourweddingwebsite". This was to appease MIL, and DH, because neither of them had ever heard of including registry info being rude. Neither had I, until I came on this site, and I had never recieved an invitation that didn't have that information on it. 

So, it was a compromise. It wasn't on the invite itself, and there were no direct reference to WHERE we registered. If they wanted to know, they could look there, if they didn't want to, they didn't have to. It seemed to turn out ok, although it still bugs me. 

I also realized today that I forgot a random uncle's thank you card, because I've never met him, he didn't come to the wedding, and he had the gift shipped from target, and it somehow was a duplicate. Somewhere with all the hassle of figuring out what this random package was, and who sent it, I forgot to send a card. 
  • DD hates ''too many pieces of paper" in invites; so, (GASP!) we didn't do a seperate reception card. It just says, 'Reception to immediately follow at blah blah blah location'

I am a bad, bad momma. (However, it saved us a bundle on the postage! More beer!)
  • raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We hosted beer and wine, but liquor was cash bar. Our venue's policy was that if a bar was set up, we had to offer everything, whether we paid for it or the guests did and we couldn't afford a fully hosted bar. But my wedding was also the first I had ever been to that hosted ANY alcohol, so there's that.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hosted beer and wine with liquor cash bar.  FTR, I was rather against it.  The venue coordinator and my mom finally pursuaded me.   My mom paid for a good chunk so my hands were kind of tied.  

We didn't invite my cousin's on/off again boyfriend/children's father.   Again, my mom's doing.  He cheats on her, steals from her, lies about drug use, etc.   My mom refused to have him (with my uncle's consent) and my cousin RSVPd yes but didn't end up coming.  
  • We fell below our minimum & invited more 6 people about 1 wk before the wedding. They were all cool about it & all came. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-rule-did-you-break?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:33a70e7f-174a-4925-88b9-8bf3965121bePost:a3abd4f9-4e99-4d4c-909e-435d21de0515">Re: What rule did you break?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DD hates ''too many pieces of paper" in invites; so, (GASP!) we didn't do a seperate reception card. It just says, 'Reception to immediately follow at blah blah blah location' I am a bad, bad momma. (However, it saved us a bundle on the postage! More beer!)
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

<div>We did that too, ours said "Ceremony will be followed immediately by dinner, drinks, and frivolity." I'm not to fussy about that though, it saved us a budle of time and money, since we made and assembled them all ourselves. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-rule-did-you-break?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:33a70e7f-174a-4925-88b9-8bf3965121bePost:3677eda0-008d-4e94-b566-264014a12459">Re: What rule did you break?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We fell below our minimum & invited more 6 people about 1 wk before the wedding. They were all cool about it & all came. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

What is wrong with your font?

• Oh and it's not our fault, but someone out there thinks we didn't write thank you notes.  9 months later and we still haven't figured out who got us a wooden chip and dip tray.  It's really cool and looks like it came from a craft shop, but it was in a bag with no card :(  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-rule-did-you-break?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:33a70e7f-174a-4925-88b9-8bf3965121bePost:3677eda0-008d-4e94-b566-264014a12459">Re: What rule did you break?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We fell below our minimum & invited more 6 people about 1 wk before the wedding. They were all cool about it & all came. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

<div>What is up with your font? I've seen it on a few of your other posts.</div>
  • I helped H pick his GMs. H and I met because he's my brother's best friend. I have hardly any family and wanted my brother and his wife sitting as my family more than I wanted them standing up with us. I just felt kind of sad just to have my mom and dad as my only family on my side and him have a ton of family. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-rule-did-you-break?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:33a70e7f-174a-4925-88b9-8bf3965121bePost:a3abd4f9-4e99-4d4c-909e-435d21de0515">Re: What rule did you break?</a>:
    [QUOTE]DD hates ''too many pieces of paper" in invites; so, (GASP!) we didn't do a seperate reception card. It just says, 'Reception to immediately follow at blah blah blah location' I am a bad, bad momma. (However, it saved us a bundle on the postage! More beer!)
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

This is bad etiquette?  I had no idea!  We wrote the same thing on our invites since our reception was held about 30 yards away from our ceremony.

• edited July 2012
    LTB I printed right on the envelopes too. They were beautiful, and no one had to read my handwriting. Calligraphy aside from being super expensive also looks really cumbersome these days when a printer can make such fine lines.

ETA: no idea why TK decided to center this post...
  • If your reception is held at the same location, you don't need another card. Maggie, you're fine. Also, I like your sig. You, your dress, and your flowers are pretty.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-rule-did-you-break?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:33a70e7f-174a-4925-88b9-8bf3965121bePost:f350a823-f8b2-4363-876a-a390eb07d855">Re: What rule did you break?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What rule did you break? : This is bad etiquette?  I had no idea!  We wrote the same thing on our invites since our reception was held about 30 yards away from our ceremony.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I didn't either.  Ours said "reception to follow" because our guests stood up and walked about 5 feet to get into the reception.
  • I used clear labels for the return address on the back of envelopes. =)
    Anniversary
  • I need to find one of my invitations and see what it said.  I'm not sure there was any mention of a reception.  That would be kind of hilarious to find out over a year later.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • H's eccentric aunt also called and insisted she didn't get a thank you for the wedding. I could have sworn she did. Turns out she didn't because she decided to give us a special "honeymoon"  gift and I was afraid to send it home with my dad so I took the bag on our honeymoon. Turns out it was only candles (they did melt into body oil Wink) but her card got lost in that bag for a really long time.
  • Habs2HartHabs2Hart member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-rule-did-you-break?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:33a70e7f-174a-4925-88b9-8bf3965121bePost:338cee35-eb8b-4f8b-a9a7-eb955fccec9b">Re: What rule did you break?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We hosted beer and wine all night, and had liquor available cash.  But we didn't have a choice (I mean, of course we did, we could have picked another venue, but most of them do it like that around here, and frankly, in my circle, hosting anything is great), and I own that shiiit.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  I did the same and I own it too.   

Also, I printed directly onto the envelopes.  It looks so much cleaner and more modern, which is what I'm about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards