April 2013 Weddings

A different Bridesmaid Gift Question

What is everyone giving their bridal party? How much did you budget per girl? And how many things should I get them? I was reading the other post about all these great gifts and started to break a sweat thinking of how $$ it will get? I have 6 girls in my bridal party. So far I am paying for their makeup, I took them to a nice brunch (with alcohol of course! :) ) and now I am stuck on what else to give. I want something thoughtful and unique for each girl without putting ourselves in more financial stress :/
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: A different Bridesmaid Gift Question

• I almost feel make up the day of is enough and maybe a nice card with a handwritten note.  If you want to give a small gift the day of consider a small wedding emergency kit or personalized hanger.  Also, if you are doing the make-up you could purchase the lip colour for them so they can do touch ups ;-)
  • I'm spending around $50 per person, and around $100 for our friend who is officiating. Things used for the wedding like hair and makeup aren't really gifts for them IMHO.
    Visit The Nest!  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I only have 1 on each side to buy for, and I'm capping it at $50.  We're not made of money.  lol  I'm also going to take her on a haunted tour of Savannah - just the 2 of us - while she's there.  So far, I bought her a Swarovski crystal-filled pen in her favorite color and I'm paying for her makeup.  That will probably be it unless I come into some unexpected money.

Since she's the only one in the "bridal party" she has free reign over the dress & shoes - that alone should be enough of a gift, after hearing some of the horror stories about BM dress shopping here.  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • We're trying to keep it around $40/person but I'm a pretty creative shopper.  I got the 8" flower vases from Macy's on sale with a 20% coupon(from opening a credit card w/them when we registered there) and I got them for $14 each and they're Mikasa vases.

I also found a Groupon for Mikasa picture frames so I had FI go online and buy one also and we're giving those to our parents.  They were about $20 each.  

We'll give the girls something additional, as well as the parents but I'm pretty proud of being so thrifty :-)

As far as the guys, FI hasn't made up his mind but he's leaning towards pocket knives.  Since we are military, we can get prodeals and we might be able to score with the knives.  I haven't researched this thoroughly since he hasn't made up his mind yet.  

Our wedding budget is $15,000 and while we'd love to spend more on our BP, we have 8 girls, 8 guys, one RB, one FG so $40/person adds up quickly :-)  Once we get the pix back, I might send everyone a 5X7 group shot or individual shot with FI and I.  

My main suggestion is to look on Groupon and Living Social.  You can go to the "Goods" section and score some killer deals sometimes :-)  Check those sites every few days until you find something fun!
  • I also have 6 girls and gifts can get pricey! Im still debating what to do. I already DIYd the personalized hangers. I have jewlery picked out, but it is pricey and would come to $67 each set for each girl. So i was contemplating just getting the bridesmaids the necklaces then my maid and matron of honor both the earrings and necklace. I also found something on pinterest on DIYing bathroom tile coasters that looked really chic and i can makek 6 sets for around $10, and i have a friend who paints wine glasses and 6 would come to $26. Im torn, and continue to do research!
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to Re:A different Bridesmaid Gift Question:[QUOTE]I almost feel make up the day of is enough and maybe a nice card with a handwritten note. nbsp;If you want to give a small gift the day of consider a small wedding emergency kit or personalized hanger. nbsp;Also, if you are doing the makeup you could purchase the lip colour for them so they can do touch ups ; Posted by joheryl[/QUOTE]

No, makeup is not enough because that's not a gift, that's for your wedding. I'd also advise against "wedding emergency kits" because 99.9 of the time they don't use ANYTHING from the kit and they'll never use it again. Shop for them as if its their birthday. Maybe a blouse from her favorite store, home decor item, gift card to a spa, bath and body products from her favorite store, cooking supplies, whatever you'd get for her birthday. Remember things for the wedding are fine, but they aren't gifts.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_a-different-bridesmaid-gift-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:f9ad4f35-f1c9-4bb4-a12d-eef135f89ec7Post:b9e8ba8c-afb1-4647-b3ee-1bbf8a2edf4a">Re:A different Bridesmaid Gift Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:A different Bridesmaid Gift Question: No, makeup is not enough because that's not a gift, that's for your wedding. I'd also advise against "wedding emergency kits" because 99.9 of the time they don't use ANYTHING from the kit and they'll never use it again. Shop for them as if its their birthday. Maybe a blouse from her favorite store, home decor item, gift card to a spa, bath and body products from her favorite store, cooking supplies, whatever you'd get for her birthday. Remember things for the wedding are fine, but they aren't gifts.
    Posted by allychase[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to second pretty much everything here. Anything for the wedding day shouldn't be considered your gift to them. Shopping as if it were their birthday is great advice, in my opinion.

I don't have bridesmaids and FI doesn't have groomsmen, but we will probably get something nice for our two witnesses, as they are about as close to a MOH and BM as we will have. Still undecided as to what we will give, but probably in the £30-£40 range (+/- $50-$70).
  • I agree too that wedding related stuff isn't a gift. My MOH and MOH are getting personalized jewelry as they both love to wear jewelry. I have no idea what my FI is doing for his BM and BM. I gave him free reign over that aspect of the wedding.  Wink
    The Future Mrs. Burleson Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What are your girls interests? Like Ally said, anything for the wedding is not really a gift. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get awesome gifts. Personalize it for each girl.

I was in my cousins wedding a few  years ago and she got each girl a Lolita wine glass that was decorated to fit our personalities and interests - shopping, vegas, sports, etc. I loved it!
  • Wow. I wish 50-70 bucks was an option.  I'm paying for everyone's hair because I want everyone to get their hair done, and that's really the only way I can almost gaurantee it.   I am having a makeup artist come day-of, so anyone who wants that is welcome to pay their way.  But that's not the gift.  In nearly every wedding I've been in, it's customary to by the wedding day jewlery (again, not REALLY a gift) and a small designer wrislet (usually Coach) that kinda goes w/ the dress.  So, I'm realistically spending about $200 per girl.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• edited November 2012
    I am giving them jewlery to wear- which of course is not the gift- and then these personalized blocks for the home. It's something cute they can use- one just got a house so it'll be for her home, the other is a Disney fanatic and teacher- so it'll be something for that. They run about $40 each with shipping. They got a rather affordable dress, and I told them I don't care what shoes, hair or makeup they have- so they aren't really spending anything on any of that. And I think I'm taking them to dinner the night before, since we aren't doing a rehearsal/dinner. 

Like these:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/64579752/personalized-family-last-name?ref=usr_faveitems
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks girls, I am so glad I got your opinions!  I am definitely going to lurk on Groupon and Living Social more often for deals. And I like the idea of shopping for them as if it was their birthday! Duh! Why didnt I think of that before? lol I appreciate all the help :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_a-different-bridesmaid-gift-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:f9ad4f35-f1c9-4bb4-a12d-eef135f89ec7Post:b9e8ba8c-afb1-4647-b3ee-1bbf8a2edf4a">Re:A different Bridesmaid Gift Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:A different Bridesmaid Gift Question: No, makeup is not enough because that's not a gift, that's for your wedding. I'd also advise against "wedding emergency kits" because 99.9 of the time they don't use ANYTHING from the kit and they'll never use it again. Shop for them as if its their birthday. Maybe a blouse from her favorite store, home decor item, gift card to a spa, bath and body products from her favorite store, cooking supplies, whatever you'd get for her birthday. Remember things for the wedding are fine, but they aren't gifts.
    Posted by allychase[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I guess I am the odd one out!  I received a wedding emergency kit for a wedding I was in 2 months ago and loved it! 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards