Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Is this true?

I recently was told that my FI and I have to be pronounced man and wife while the minute hand on the clock is going up? Has anyone heard of this? I was also told that I have to walk down the aisle while the minute hand on the clock is going up too. Is this true? I have never heard of these two things and I don''t know if this is true. I hope someone can help me with these two questions.
gggg

Re: Is this true?

• They're not true as in "Your marriage is invalid if it doesn't happen," but some people believe these things.  Just like a bride needs to carry "something old, new, borrowed and blue."

Feel free to not follow it.
  • If this is true then you and your new husband are going to have to book it back up the aisle since you will only have 30 seconds to do so.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have never heard of this particular tradition. I would think as pp have said, it is similar to something borrowed, blue, etc. I would think you are fine to not follow this. No worries
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • Thanks Beverly8 and CMGr. I appreciate your response.
    gggg
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_is-this-true?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:1efedfde-8dff-4c8b-83b2-cd6cc64a1db4Post:8ca12796-44ba-404c-bd9f-96558ab08421">Re: Is this true?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If this is true then you and your new husband are going to have to book it back up the aisle since you will only have 30 seconds to do so.  
    Posted by jagore08[/QUOTE]

<div>Minute hand, not second hand:-)     The minute hand travels up for 30 minutes of every hour (from half-past to on-the-hour).  </div>
    DSC_9275
  • This sounds like a nice way of keeping people's ceremonies under 30 minutes. 
  • Thanks Ladies!!
    gggg
  • I hadn't heard about being pronounced based on the clock, but tradition here states that funerals start on the hour and weddings start on the half hour.  Minute hand going down for a sad event and going up for a happy one.  My wedding starts at 4:30. 
  • I've almost never gone to a wedding that didn't start on the halfhour - and that is so the clock hand is on the upward sweep as the ceremony begins.  So these weddings start at 1:30 or 7:30 or something ":30"

I have more recently been to a couple weddings that start on the hour so these weddings start at 3 or 5 or 7 or whatever the hour is.

• @retread.  Don't you just love the south and their crazy superstitions?  My family is from Ireland but have lived in the south so it gets even worse with us. 

And now that I think about it I've never been to a wedding that didn't start at something:30 and a funeral that started at anything but the hour, never something:30. 

Never really thought about it until now
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards