Favors

Anyone Else Think Favors Are Dumb?

Just curious.  Why/why not
dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha

Re: Anyone Else Think Favors Are Dumb?

• edited December 2011
    My Mom and Fl do! They don't get why I am doing favors for the wedding!

I think they are a nice way to say thank you for coming beside the food, Cake, Drinks, and what else you decide to serve at your reception.

Fl thinks we have enought things and not to worry about them since we are doing a chocolate fountain and Cake!

IDK if I will do favors or not yet! Glad I still have a year to decide!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think they're dumb, but if you can definitely spend the money on something else that's more useful.  I'd rather the couple put $100 towards their new household than to give me a favor.
  • jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes.  They just seem like a waste of money to me, no matter what they are.
  • edited December 2011
    Dumb because most of the time, lets be honest, they end up in the trash...But I think it looks cheap if you dont do anything at all.  Sooooo Im going to try to do something edible.  I figure they can eat it on the way home from the reception as a midnight snack.  Thats probably the only thing that gets appreciated, something edible.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a candy buffet AND favors.  If I could do it over, I would have only done the candy buffet.  Yes the table favors were cute, but they were not worth the time or money spent on them.  Plus I already had a candy buffet which was plenty.

I wished I had listened to all the brides on here that said don't do them.  The money is better spent on upgraded food, drink, dessert bar, etc. 

The exception would be if you are doing something really meaningful to you and your FI, your family, etc. But I wouldn't do them just for the sake of having something for everyone to take home or to put on the table.
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't too keen on the idea of favors because they are expensive, people throw them out, etc etc etc.  But LOVE the idea of a Candy Bar and with buying candy on sale after holidays and buying the glassware half off at Hobby Lobby's sale....yeah, definitely going this route.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    I aswell did both a candy station and favor gift bags(edible favors such as hershey bars and wine) although we had noone leave the favor bags behind everyone seemed to LOVE the candy station the most, so if you still want to do a favor i would recommend doing a candy station in place of reg favors.
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I do think they are pretty silly most of the time they just end up in the trash if they aren't edible. I am doing favors more out of convenience to my guests then anything else because it will be hot the ladies will be getting sandalwood fans and the men will be getting handkerchiefs and I'm going to do some bottled water. What I don't understand even more then favors is the ever so trendy candy bar. I've already eaten dinner, drank and had some cake now I'm expected to gorge myself on a ton of candy?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, favors are dumb.  The only favor I ever liked was the one where the couple put a little card on the table saying they donated money to fight cancer in lieu of favors. That was more meaningful than any trinket I could have received.
  • edited December 2011
    Another option you could do would be to combine the favor and seating cards somehow, if you are doing seating cards.

For example, I wanted to do votive candles on the table in addition to the placecards.  I'm doing frosted votive candleholders and candles, and printing out seating assignments and names on clear labels which can be put on the candleholders. At the end of the reception, they can take their candleholders home and peel the labels off if they want, and if they don't want them, I'll pick up the unwanted candleholders and sell them to someone else. You can do this for about $2 per person - including the candles and labels! I'm not sure how I'll designate their menu choices with all of this yet, but I have time to figure that out still. I might go with one color of candle to indicate one entree and another color candle to mean a different entree.
  • Jamilynn627Jamilynn627 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think they're the most logical tradition, but we observed it because they're so common that they're expected in our area. I like good favors. I find bad favors a nuissance. I still have an espresso set I received as a wedding favor that I feel to guilty to throw out/donate.

Our favors got out of control because we couldn't pick one. I don't regret any of them, though. Everyone loved the caramel apples (my mother received 12 phone calls asking where we got them while we were on our honeymoon). The jordan almonds were really just to observe the Italian tradition and I'm quite sure only the older Italians ate them, though no one left them behind. The popularity of the CDs still surprises me. My father's best friend called to see if we had extras because he scratched his and liked to jog to it. MIL's boss at her seasonal job told her more than a year later that he's still listening to the CD from our wedding. I know everyone listened to them  since all of our guests now seem to know/remember one another's wedding song.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree. We're throwing a giant party and I have to give you something on the way out? No thanks.

I do believe though that doing something like a candy bar, or something that is "optional" is a good idea. That way it's nice for people who want some, and doesn't waste it for those who wouldn't want a favor anyways.

I actually hate it at weddings when I get the card that says "In lieu of a favor we donated to X beacause of X". Why did you have to donate NOW and tell me all about it? I don't know- it's just my opinion and I don't want to make anyone feel funny if this is what you'd really like to do - but for me I'd rather get nothing and just have a fun time at the reception!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_anyone-else-think-favors-dumb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:c3b644e2-6850-438f-a287-cc8d581bbe17Post:821fd9b1-5838-4f20-b723-ed1cafecc417">Re: Anyone Else Think Favors Are Dumb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree. We're throwing a giant party and I have to give you something on the way out? No thanks. I do believe though that doing something like a candy bar, or something that is "optional" is a good idea. That way it's nice for people who want some, and doesn't waste it for those who wouldn't want a favor anyways. I actually hate it at weddings when I get the card that says "In lieu of a favor we donated to X beacause of X". Why did you have to donate NOW and tell me all about it? I don't know- it's just my opinion and I don't want to make anyone feel funny if this is what you'd really like to do - but for me I'd rather get nothing and just have a fun time at the reception!
    Posted by smore154[/QUOTE]

I see your point, but I think that those who donate to charity are usually doing in memory of someone who could not attend the wedding. In the case of the wedding I went to where they had these placecards, they donated to cancer because the bride had lost her father to cancer.  I thought it made a nice statement like, "Instead of sending you home with a trinket, we opted to fund research for a tragic disease".  It also addressess the older generation who expects favors (I have a few great aunts that just LOVE favors for whatever reason).
  • Jessie888Jessie888 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_anyone-else-think-favors-dumb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:c3b644e2-6850-438f-a287-cc8d581bbe17Post:821fd9b1-5838-4f20-b723-ed1cafecc417">Re: Anyone Else Think Favors Are Dumb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree. We're throwing a giant party and I have to give you something on the way out? No thanks.
    Posted by smore154[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>all i can say to this is wow. Guests put so much into weddings. Engagement party gifts, shower gifts, most women may get a new dress, others do some sort of beauty treatment, gift for your wedding, and overall support of the whole wedding day!!! They are GUESTS and its so nice that they have put so much into coming to your wedding.</div><div>
    </div><div>Whatever the "favor" may be, its nice to let guest know you appreciate them being there. My uncle is a potter and I am going to give my guests a piece of his pottery each for the favor as well as an edible favor at the table. I think couples should put some thought into a favor, because I know i truly appreciate them when i go to a wedding. </div><div>
    </div>
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So the reception itself, entertainment, feeding them dinner & dessert aren't enough, you have to spend more money to say thank you?

And I whole heartedly agree on the donations in lieu of favors being bad. If you want to donate, then donate.  No need to (spend more money to print) and shout to the world.
  • edited December 2011
    Again, I disagree. If you don't give favors and don't acknowledge that you haven't given them, then you will have guests who are looking for them. At least if you donate to charity you should make your guests aware of it.
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of favors as a way to say Thank You to everyone for supporting our union in the past, present, and future.  However, I think most go unwanted, left, or thrown away so most of the time it is probably better to donate to a charity or spend the money else where as apposed to giving something just for the sake to say you gave them something.  It is really important to me to have something that people will want/use.  As of now I think we will be doing several different favors for people to choose to take throughout the night that fit into our wedding.  I like the idea of different favors because there are diverse interests from the female and male guests, older guests and younger guests, etc. Plus they do not feel obligated to take one if htey do not want to.  Overall, I think it is the experience that matters most though.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_anyone-else-think-favors-dumb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:c3b644e2-6850-438f-a287-cc8d581bbe17Post:8cc85ab9-44be-4dc2-9bf0-087ec7232012">Re: Anyone Else Think Favors Are Dumb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of favors as a way to say Thank You to everyone for supporting our union in the past, present, and future.  However, I think most go unwanted, left, or thrown away so most of the time it is probably better to donate to a charity or spend the money else where as apposed to giving something just for the sake to say you gave them something.  It is really important to me to have something that people will want/use.  As of now I think we will be doing several different favors for people to choose to take throughout the night that fit into our wedding.  I like the idea of different favors because there are diverse interests from the female and male guests, older guests and younger guests, etc. Plus they do not feel obligated to take one if htey do not want to.  <strong>Overall, I think it is the experience that matters most though</strong>.
    Posted by sky7563[/QUOTE]

Then why waste your money on crap people do not want/need?
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea of favors as a way to say Thank You to everyone for supporting our union in the past, present, and future.  However, I think most go unwanted, left, or thrown away so most of the time it is probably better to donate to a charity or spend the money else where as apposed to giving something just for the sake to say you gave them something.  It is really important to me to have something that people will want/use.  As of now I think we will be doing several different favors for people to choose to take throughout the night that fit into our wedding.  I like the idea of different favors because there are diverse interests from the female and male guests, older guests and younger guests, etc. Plus they do not feel obligated to take one if htey do not want to.  Overall, I think it is the experience that matters most though.

Since the favors are going to be something useful with our slogan on them (not the dates/monogram/etc.) they can be donated afterward or if others prefer sold.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_anyone-else-think-favors-dumb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:c3b644e2-6850-438f-a287-cc8d581bbe17Post:9f3a6c6e-1a14-4295-a284-c572e2750d98">Re: Anyone Else Think Favors Are Dumb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Since the favors are going to be something useful with our slogan on them (not the dates/monogram/etc.) they can be donated afterward or if others prefer sold.

Or most likely thrown away or left
  • edited December 2011
    Why did you post this if you did not want other peoples true opinions?  Just to bash their thoughts or plans??  Regardless...there are people that do not think favors are dumb...you don't have to accept it just as others do not have to agree with you.  Have a great summer and happy planning!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_anyone-else-think-favors-dumb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:c3b644e2-6850-438f-a287-cc8d581bbe17Post:ce1d9f37-4815-4412-986f-c4c1083053ce">Re: Anyone Else Think Favors Are Dumb?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why did you post this if you did not want other peoples true opinions?  Just to bash their thoughts or plans??  Regardless...there are people that do not think favors are dumb...you don't have to accept it just as others do not have to agree with you.  Have a great summer and happy planning!

I did want opinions. At this point, I still think they are mostly dumb.  If someone has a great idea for a favor, or as to why favors are good, then I may agree.  I do not bash everyone's ideas, I help many and I bring others back to reality.  As  you can see in many of the responses on here, I am not the only one who thinks they are a waste of money.  Maybe it's because I have been to a lot of weddings and have seen the waste they are.   And for others, they have seen the same, possibly even at their own weddings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards