Nebraska-Omaha

Need your ideas!

So it looks like we are going to have a last minute change of reception venue. Our original venue was a place that was being historically renovated and it's not looking like it will be ready in time. Therefore, we are stuck with the city auditorium in Fremont. Not the most attractive venue. I've already purchased stuff for our centerpieces, so I'd like to continue the DIY route but need some ideas. I've got our vases and I've got a ton of black river rocks. We were originally going to do pillar candles inside the vases. However, the new venue doesn't allow candles.

I also prefer not to have flowers to avoid the expense. So I'm looking for some creative ideas not including flowers or candles. What do ya have?! Thanks in advance :)

Re: Need your ideas!

• edited December 2011
    My mom recently found battery-operated candles. They look like real candles, and come in different shapes, sizes, and colors. They are amazing, and if that's the look you're going for, I'm sure that they would work! 

Sorry about your venue, but I'm sure things will be fabulous anyway! Good luck! :o)
  • akardiscoakardisco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah Hobby Lobby has LED pillar candles that will work but they are kind of spendy. Hobby Lobby does their 50% off sale a lot though, so that helps, but they also don't come with batteries for some reason. So I'd have to buy all the batteries separately. It's definitely an option though!
  • HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Feathers?  Pussy willows?  Fruit?

You might want to price flowers out first.  A lot of the expense is from the labor.  So, if you would just order the flowers in bulk and cut the stems yourself, it isn't too expensive and really easy.  You could stick one or two stems of a pretty flower like a lily or peony or something that can stand alone like that.  It could be really pretty.  Another option, is to do foilage instead of flowers.  That might be even cheaper and could look really cool with the river rocks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We really like the idea of using fruit. That was our original plan, to use sliced limes, but we were worried about them turning brown too quickly. I found another option using whole limes that we are going to do a mock-up of and see how it looks.

Instead of doing the orchid on top (although I do love orchids!) we would have a purple spider mum. Our vases are very similar to this, although they have a flare top to them. If we go this route, do you think just limes in the vase or should we do river rocks on the bottom also?

We will also wrap sheer purple ribbon around the vase like this...

By the way, if we could have candles and could start all over, I absolutely adore that last centerpiece!!

• HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could do some vases with the river rocks and some with the limes. 

Depending on how sheer the ribbon is and dark the room will be, you might not be able to even tell much of a difference.

I think those will look really neat!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for your input! I think we're going to try a few different things this weekend. I will post pics!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards