Wedding Etiquette Forum

Other message boards

Re: Other message boards

• I go in cycles. Currently it's definitely TK, and I follow some blogs, and comment a lot on a local blog. And I sometimes twitter. 

I used to post on the message boards on imdb.com, believe it or not. Some are really active. But, like, movie-related.

I've been involved in some yahoo groups and used to be pretty active on livejournal.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Jessjo -

I have been AWOL for a while around here, and only reading a few pages into that post, those 'women' were out of line. Whether or not you've said things about yourself, it's not their place to call that out to you.

As a person who tends to run low on self-esteem for my body regularly, I understand how that would bother you.

Just remember that those 'women' are people that you've never met IRL and feel the need to belittle others to feel better about themselves.

You're welcome to PM if you'd like. :)
  • Thanks Jess (I love your flowers btw). I try not to let it bother me, but I think most people understand that what people say can hurt, even if you dont know them IRL.

I tried to check big-board.com, but most are in other languages!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jess, I really wish that you'd taken something else from what was said, as you weren't over-reacting at all. I won't re-hash it, other than to say that you would have been justified to be far more hurt and angry as a result of that situation than what you actually were. Don't deflect the blame to yourself.

About the situation with the other board, I think as East says, you need to realise that there's very tight little groups on these boards and it takes a lot of time- and often some flaming- to get into them. What that girl said to you was clearly playing on your insecurities as stated in threads here, and was obviously hurtful, but personally, I don't see the point in creating an AE. People connect to others who are being genuine. If you're going to smooth over what is actually going on in your life in order to fit in with other boards, I don't know that fitting in is really worth your time in the first place.
  • Its just dissappointing to spend a long time with a group of people to find out that they dont like you. Guess its harder to 'read' people online... no pun intended.

• Im jumping into this one late but you really just need to stay as jessjo and get your advice here, we all know the backstory regardless of what our opinions may be about it, and from what we know about you are able to give specific advice without having to ask 100 questions to get to that point.

I think rather than going to the trouble of creating an AE so you can talk about the same stuff, move forward and try to fix the issues so you dont have issues to talk about??? Maybe you are but if you are talking to a professional about them I dont see why you also have to be talking to the internet about them and getting different views that could screw up any progress you are making with a professional. If you do anything it needs to be a journal that only you have access to.
  • Jessjo, I just finished reading the whole thread.  I would just absolutely shake it off.  It's hard not feeling personally attacked and then have it not affect you.  Her statements were meant to sting, she took advantage of your insecurities.  That's an insecure action or bullying action in and of itself.  No AE needed.
  • I agree with bbckes (I love saying that too :) )... just shake it off.

To answer your op, I just stick to theknot and have went over to the next 5-6 times.  Literally, post count is like 5. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_other-message-boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:13f43736-2e42-4152-9c88-9c0ecc035109Post:b1624d0d-70bb-4dab-88f9-98ea7601aef8">Re: Other message boards</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jessjo, I just finished reading the whole thread.  I would just absolutely shake it off.  It's hard not feeling personally attacked and then have it not affect you.  Her statements were meant to sting, she took advantage of your insecurities.  That's an insecure action or bullying action in and of itself.  No AE needed.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

This, exactly.  I don't care if it's the internet or not, close knit group or not, snarky or not - I don't think comments like that are warranted, particularly not as an opening volley in a cat fight.

I know I've given some advice you might not have liked, too, but out of genuine concern - not malice.  I agree with pps - stick it out here. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • WoW.  I used to hang out on iVillage and I was even a mod at one point on one of the boards.  But I moved on quite awhile ago.  Decent community though.  The feminism board there actually got me involved in a big pro-life/pro-choice forum on Delphi.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • PS.  I think you know by now that if you put something out there on the internet, it's public.  You can't put stuff in a public forum and not expect it to be read by other people who are members of the same site.

I also think it's ridiculously hypocritical, on this particular board, to object to people using publicly available information in a discussion with someone.  You know, based on what people have found on open photobuckets, other forums, cross postings from locals and month boards, invasions of NEY, etc, etc, etc.  What WW did is nothing different that what's been done here time and time again.  Most recently with wedding wire and the Ed Hardy wedding.

You also are very aware of Wedding Woes and what they're about.  You can claim ignorance, but honestly, did you think you were immune? 

• Don't worry, Jess. Most of us disliked you before that post. And the people who didn't "join in" just weren't there. Remember, most of us sign off by 6ish eastern. It was just a lucky few of us who happened to be around last night.
  • note to self:  any new poster complaining about depression, weight, self-esteem, and douchey husband is jessjo.
  • Check out 4chan, Jess Jo.  Theyll give you straight advice w/out BS, trust me.
  • For the record, I also found it somewhat amusing when you posted in a thread claiming that your relationship is not dysfunctional.

I'm afraid that it is far from functional.

• Moose, its not hypocritical to be annoyed that people follow me around to find things to use against me. I've never done this and many posters here haven't either. Things can't be hypocritical as a "board", we are individual people, not a group of vaules or actions.
  • It is hypocritical if the only time you stand up to say "THAT SHOULDN'T BE DONE!" is when someone is doing it to you, rather than when you see it happening to other people.  Silence lends support to what's happening, or at the very least acceptance.

Also, you'd think that you'd leave a board when you saw stuff happening frequently that you didn't agree with.

• Yeah, you just like to repost things from other boards so that other people will go after them.
  • And, I'm almost positive that you used to be a big poster of stuff on P&E from other boards. 

• I would link funny posts. Not posts by regs. I did not do it with malice. Well thanks to those who actually answered my question. And I got what I expected from others.
  • Vally was that funny?  You aren't allowed to post anything that isn't funny.
  • Your face is funny.
    Funny looking.

(notice the use of the sarcasm font)
  • I don't see where that makes me a hypocrite, I didnt link anything or google anyone or stalk anyone. I was kidding because P&E used to have more drama within the posters on the board. I don't even know why I'm trying.
  • Jess, you would link posts where you could laugh about what the other person was saying/doing, regardless of your "intention" - and that's exactly what AFSB and WW are doing to you now.  

You're also bringing a lot of this on yourself, because you know that people give a bigger reaction to someone that DD'd and in this case edits their original post, along with continually making more posts referencing it. 
  • I didn't use the word hypocrite.

Just pointing out that there seemed to be a resurgence of some drama following that comment, that was all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_other-message-boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:13f43736-2e42-4152-9c88-9c0ecc035109Post:dec21aa0-bce5-40f2-8f82-391d7aa98ad8">Re: Other message boards</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't use the word hypocrite. Just pointing out that there seemed to be a resurgence of some drama following that comment, that was all.
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

Huh? So becasue I said it was boring without the drama means its my fault there was a 'resurgence' of drama? I still think it is tame compared to when I joined.
  • pssst Vally, Moose said hypocritical... :pats pretty head:

FWIW, Jess I think you've been given a shiit ton of leeway on this board with all of your "my life sucks so hard/my H is a douche" talk.  Frankly, I don't think P&E was harsh enough because you clearly don't get it. 

I'm also amazed that you've been around for so long and yet appear to be so clueless.  You've either opened up enough to show how dysfunctional you really are, or you are stirring the pot...
  • Hey Jessjo, I am pretty sure you got a three day ban a few months back for reposting a nest post over to WW. Which I think meets the definition of hypocrite you all are looking for.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_other-message-boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13f43736-2e42-4152-9c88-9c0ecc035109Post:9e29b856-fd45-45ed-87de-c2653f34690f">Re: Other message boards</a>:
    [QUOTE]pssst Vally, Moose said hypocritical... :pats pretty head: FWIW, Jess I think you've been given a shiit ton of leeway on this board with all of your "my life sucks so hard/my H is a douche" talk.  Frankly, I don't think P&E was harsh enough because you clearly don't get it.  I'm also amazed that you've been around for so long and yet appear to be so clueless.  You've either opened up enough to show how dysfunctional you really are, or you are stirring the pot...
    Posted by ivystar57[/QUOTE]

Here Ivy, its my heart.  You can have it.   

My two cents, I dont think she's clueless.  I think she just really needs attention and validation, no matter what the form. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards