African American Weddings

My mom...and the second outfit!

Quick vent...My mom keeps telling me she is going to change at the reception! This is my second headache thus far, and knew she would bring the dressing drama. See, I have seen my mom successfully out dress or upstage the bride twice ( both pulled her to aside and asked her about herself), and heard stories of her doing it twice more before I was born. So while I don't think she will out dress me, it appears she is trying to upstage me. Its like, " look at me, I have on a new outfit, Im the mother of the bride!" she suggest she is changing from a dress due to the church wedding, to a pant suit so she can be comfortable...really. Im not even changing? I have tried many times to ask my mom not to have a second outfit, but she is not listening. I get she likes to dress, but man, can't I just have my (our) day! My plan to have my sisters, her close sister, and my coordinator on the look out for this second outfit during the rehearsal and going to the reception after the cermony...check the car, her garment bag, etc. Because she will do this to me. I guess I just want to vent as there really is no real solution to this; just wish she would not do this to me.
Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Re: My mom...and the second outfit!

• I am sure she won't upstage you. Sounds like you are describing who your mom is. And I guess in a sense you sort of expected something like this. Her changing into a new outfit will probably be the last of your worries on the big day. So don't let this stress you out now. The more you ignore her and her outfits, the better it will be for you. It reminds me of my mom fretting about how long I was taking to find a dress and we have been looking for months for her dress...REALLY?!?! Moms will be moms:-)
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_my-momas-the-second-outfit?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:df13c933-8b20-45eb-96c2-e9b2f9e3dfebPost:ff22ba7f-edb9-409e-8fbf-7f1bacd8d2ea">My mom...and the second outfit!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Quick vent...My mom keeps telling me she is going to change at the reception! This is my second headache thus far, and knew she would bring the dressing drama. See, I have seen my mom successfully out dress or upstage the bride twice ( both pulled her to aside and asked her about herself), and heard stories of her doing it twice more before I was born. So while I don't think she will out dress me, it appears she is trying to upstage me. Its like, " look at me, I have on a new outfit, Im the mother of the bride!" she suggest she is changing from a dress due to the church wedding, to a pant suit so she can be comfortable...really. Im not even changing? I have tried many times to ask my mom not to have a second outfit, but she is not listening. I get she likes to dress, but man, can't I just have my (our) day! My plan to have my sisters, her close sister, and my coordinator on the look out for this second outfit during the rehearsal and going to the reception after the cermony...check the car, her garment bag, etc. Because she will do this to me. I guess I just want to vent as there really is no real solution to this; just wish she would not do this to me.
    Posted by keyaira04[/QUOTE]

GIRL!! I so feel you on this one! My mom is doing this TOO!! I have no clue why! I have ONE dress and so far she is up to 2.   

But no matter what just remember this is your day.  I think no matter what she wears, all eyes will still be on you
    80 said yes image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards