Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Chocolate Fountain

We're having two chocolate fountains for our guests.  We're using the small home fountains and we're having milk chocolate and white chocolate.

I have never used a chocolate fountian but I know that you have to add oil to the chocolate to get it to run smoothly.  I have found a brand called Melano made by Sephra who makes the fountains that is ready to use without oil. 

Has anyone ever used this brand?  How about taste?

Just trying to get opinons from someone who has used one. Thanks!

Re: Chocolate Fountain

• edited December 2011
    Whatever brand you use, or however you make it, just be sure to taste it beforehand. Almost every chocolate fountain I have ever seen tasted disgusting. I don't know the proper method or chocolates to use, but clearly the people at the parties I attended went for the cheap kind.
  • hollieheidihollieheidi member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I plan on using Sephra or Chocooley(sp?).  Both are rather expensive.  I REFUSE to use the wilton chocolate wafers or cheap chocolate chips and add oil.  I think that's what I'm afraid of is that the oil alters the taste.

Both brands that I was to use come ready to use.
  • edited December 2011

I haven't used either of those before, I just use the nestle chocolate morsels and they taste great. Sometimes its the simpler things that taste best because thats what people are used to, I definitely agree with the other poster about trying them before you decide.

• edited December 2011
    I don't know the brands - but if it doesn't work out, you might want to consider using a 52% chocolate instead of the milk or the white. I know I can always taste it when oil is added to chocolate, but it's more prominent in the sweeter chocolates like white and milk.
  • future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    edited December 2011
    I just went to our local BF and the chocolate fountain there was actually really good.  They used Ghiradelli and something else...but can't remember??  Tasty but way out of my price range.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    i've never heard of adding oil to your chocolate.... i thought a lot of it had to do with the temperature of the fountain. i was in culinary school when we had to do a grand opening of the remodeled school and the fountain failed because the heating element in it decided to stop working. it wouldn't hold one temp and the chocolate turned lumpy and wouldn't go through the machine.
  • hollieheidihollieheidi member
    edited December 2011
    UPDATE:  We bought some of the Sephra chocolate and it is GREAT!  It tastes awesome and it comes in bags that you just put in the microwave to melt.  We melted ours and then coated peanuts and almonds and it was beautiful and tasted great. 

I don't usually like milk chocolate and it was great...couldn't keep me out of the chocolate.  We're going to try the white this week.

I definately think this is going to be much better than candy melts and oil.  BTW the instruction booklet from both fountains we bought recommended thinning the chocolate with oil and come with a table of how much oil to chocolate.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards