Wedding Invitations & Paper

Parent Etiquette on Invitation

My parents are paying a significant portion of our wedding along with my fiance and me. His parents, however, are not helping us financially in any way.  How do I word the invitations?  I want to honor that my parents are carrying the financial burden for this but don't want to disrespect my future in-laws by not listing them on the invitation, yet don't know if it's "fair" they are represented on it because they aren't helping us at all.  Does anyone have advice please?

Re: Parent Etiquette on Invitation

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_parent-etiquette-on-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:dcfa5649-a4e4-4d4a-9b26-43a1ef3501a4Post:ae210cc7-b942-49f3-8a0e-be8e68e15e17">Parent Etiquette on Invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents are paying a significant portion of our wedding along with my fiance and me. His parents, however, are not helping us financially in any way.  How do I word the invitations?  I want to honor that my parents are carrying the financial burden for this but don't want to disrespect my future in-laws by not listing them on the invitation, yet don't know if it's "fair" they are represented on it because they aren't helping us at all.  Does anyone have advice please?
    Posted by krisfed[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you consider your parent's the hosts ("significant portion" suggests this) in which only their names would be listed on the invitation as hosting the event. It's not disrespectful to your FI's parents because they simply are not hosting. But you can honor your FILs in another way. Maybe toast them at the rehearsal dinner? A thoughtful gift with a thank you and a handwritten note that tells them how much you appreciate them and the man they've raised would probably be greatly appreciated.
  • On my daughter's invitations, we included the names of the parents of the groom even though they're not helping, just to keep the peace (since they've been royal pains in the arses throughout).   We did Mr. & Mrs. Bride's Parents invite you...marriage of their daughter (name) to groom (name) "son of Mr. and Mrs. Groom's Parents"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards