Wedding Woes

let me pout for a minute

Sigh...
I fell in love with a Maggie Dress from 2007 (Amour Brooch)
BUT after calling 30+ stores in TX it can be ordered but no one carries it as a sample, nor is it available on the loaner program anymore.

I did find 2 stores that had a variation of the dress and a month ago I made an appointment to visit my MOH in Houston and drive down to try on this cousin dress. Today I called to move my appointment earlier and found out they sold the $#!%^ thing!
Now the only variation of the dress I want it all the way in Dallas 4 hours from here. Guess I will have to make a trip north in the next month or so.

GRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: let me pout for a minute

• Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry you have to drive 8 hours for a dress. Why aren't you just ordering it?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_let-pout-minute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:353659d6-aa8a-42d7-bed4-ad2805abfe9ePost:d459817d-7201-4d4f-a051-cac105254c70">let me pout for a minute</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sigh... I fell in love with a Maggie Dress from 2007 (Amour Brooch) BUT after calling 30+ stores in TX it can be ordered but no one carries it as a sample, nor is it available on the loaner program anymore. I did find 2 stores that had a variation of the dress and a month ago I made an appointment to visit my MOH in Houston and drive down to try on this cousin dress. Today I called to move my appointment earlier and found out they sold the $#!%^ thing! Now the only variation of the dress I want it all the way in Dallas 4 hours from here. Guess I will have to make a trip north in the next month or so. GRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by laleighmoore[/QUOTE]
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is why I never bothered looking at pictures of wedding dresses. I will bet money that you'll make the trip to Dallas and end up hating the dress once it's on.

Go to some local dress shops and try on a bunch of different dresses. You will fall in love with how one of them looks on you. Buy that one.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_let-pout-minute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:353659d6-aa8a-42d7-bed4-ad2805abfe9ePost:2a9c7677-8a23-49e9-b19f-145506f19f66">Re: let me pout for a minute</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is why I never bothered looking at pictures of wedding dresses. I will bet money that you'll make the trip to Dallas and end up hating the dress once it's on. Go to some local dress shops and try on a bunch of different dresses. You will fall in love with how one of them looks on you . Buy that one.
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

This.  The two dresses I loved were not even dresses I particularly liked on the hanger.  The sales clerk brought them to me to try and they were perfect.  Meanwhile, the dresses I loved in photos were kind of meh on me.
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  I thought I wanted one style, but ended up going in the opposite direction. 
  • laleighmoorelaleighmoore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wont order the dress until I can try it on.
    What I want in a dress I have not seen online much, out of 1000's i look at I have only like 2-3 and they have all been these weird cases where the dress is no longer or the designer is no longer.
    I intend to buy my dress online used or as a sample so going to the stores puts pretty much everything out of my price range when you meet with a consultant. They have no idea that the dress they are selling for $1800 can be bought by a bride used online for $900 etc...
    Just a little frustrated but I have plenty of time still since I will NOT be ordering a dress I dont need 7months-year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_let-pout-minute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:353659d6-aa8a-42d7-bed4-ad2805abfe9ePost:7868214f-44b5-45d9-9db0-8402b2ecd84d">Re: let me pout for a minute</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wont order the dress until I can try it on. What I want in a dress I have not seen online much, out of 1000's i look at I have only like 2-3 and they have all been these weird cases where the dress is no longer or the designer is no longer. I intend to buy my dress online used or as a sample so going to the stores puts pretty much everything out of my price range when you meet with a consultant. <strong>They have no idea that the dress they are selling for $1800 can be bought by a bride used online for $900</strong> etc... Just a little frustrated but I have plenty of time still since I will NOT be ordering a dress I dont need 7months-year.

Yes, they do.

A girl on here went and tried on a dress then bought it from Sydney's Closet online.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let you pout for a minute? Srsly?

Are you 9?
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why do you think most dress shops won't let you take pictures, or won't tell you the designer until you've paid for the dress?

If you want a used or sample dress, you're going to have to lower your expectations about trying it on before you buy it.
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest making sure that the style you're looking for actually is what you want.  If so, make the haul and just get it out of the way. 
  • E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a slew of pics from dress shopping, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Even if you go to stores (which I recommend you do), you're not getting roped into buying anything. Find your style, find your size, do a search for a used dress in that style. Bop. Done.

...Am I missing something here? It's not rocketsauce.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_let-pout-minute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:353659d6-aa8a-42d7-bed4-ad2805abfe9ePost:ecf065a5-2e3a-4cb2-a857-d5577a094afe">Re: let me pout for a minute</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a slew of pics from dress shopping, so that shouldn't be a problem. Even if you go to stores (which I recommend you do), you're not getting roped into buying anything. Find your style, find your size, do a search for a used dress in that style. Bop. Done. ...Am I missing something here? It's not rocketsauce.
    Posted by E Squared[/QUOTE]
    I think the real question here is what IS rocketsauce?!
  • E SquaredE Squared member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pssh. Wouldn't you like to know? ;P
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_let-pout-minute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:353659d6-aa8a-42d7-bed4-ad2805abfe9ePost:7868214f-44b5-45d9-9db0-8402b2ecd84d">Re: let me pout for a minute</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wont order the dress until I can try it on. What I want in a dress I have not seen online much, out of 1000's i look at I have only like 2-3 and they have all been these weird cases where the dress is no longer or the designer is no longer. I intend to buy my dress online used or as a sample so going to the stores puts pretty much everything out of my price range when you meet with a consultant. They have no idea that the dress they are selling for $1800 can be bought by a bride used online for $900 etc... Just a little frustrated but I have plenty of time still since I will NOT be ordering a dress I dont need 7months-year.

I forget the name of the site, but I ordered my dress online for a lot less than it was in the store.  It was like $1200 "on sale" for $900 at House of Brides (Chicago), but I got it for like $425 online.  The site was in <a href="http://www.windsorpeak.com/bridalbargains/">Bridal Bargains</a>.

Do what you want, but used/sample isn't your <em>only</em> option if you have your heart set on a particular dress.
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely try on before you buy. I had my heart set on this one dress and when I tried it on I hated it. I would just make the drive up there so you won't be thinking what if, or be disappointed if you order it and dont like it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does Pearl's Place have it?  http://www.pearlsplace.com/
  • laleighmoorelaleighmoore member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have found a lot of places on line to buy it but I want to try it on, so i have to drive to dallas now if that is going to happen..... sigh. I hate dallas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards