Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

David's Bridal Photography

I just got an advertisement for David's Bridal Photography. Has anyone used them? We're going to the Outer Banks, NC so not sure if it's even an option. Opinions? Thanks!!!!

Re: David's Bridal Photography

• This is a new service they're offering but honestly I would stay away. I know from experience how they find their "photographers" - craigslist. Photographers are barely vetted before being allowed to shoot and you won't know what photographer will be showing up the day of your wedding or what experience/equipment they're bringing. This is very much the same setup as The Pros and Bella and we've all read the horror stories on this site about them. Check out this thread for other feedback on Davids Bridal Photography
    http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/any-one-work-davids-bridal-photography/8262ec79da224dc0.html
  • Davids bridal photography just pulls random freelancers off of craigslist and similar sites. You would be better off just hiring an independent photographer.
  • From what I've gathered, stay away! They don't pay the photographers much comparitively so any photographer willing to work for what they pay can't be very talented! Of course, if it fits your budget, then go for it though!
  • Of course they make it affordable so it's hard to pass up the deal.  I thought it was too good to be true. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_davids-bridal-photography-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:f76584c6-67e6-4e66-a344-9076e7ed880bPost:f9709306-d52b-4c70-b1bd-d5be11931ac5">Re: David's Bridal Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]From what I've gathered, stay away! They don't pay the photographers much comparitively <strong>so any photographer willing to work for what they pay can't be very talented!</strong> Of course, if it fits your budget, then go for it though!
    Posted by amberjamber23[/QUOTE]

<div>I kind of disagree with this.  Plenty of very good photographers get their start working for someone else - that's how photography works.  Even if you're talented, you can't just hang a shingle and say "I do weddings" and expect to make a living.  Sure, some of the DB photogs will be rejects from other photog studios, but there's probably also plenty of perfectly good photographers working for DB because they are just starting out and don't have the level of experience most brides look for when they're looking for an independent photographer.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you do decide to consider DB, ask to see samples of work <em>from the specific photographer you will be working with</em>, and then make sure the contract specifically states that the photographer you like is the person you'll be getting on the wedding day, so DB doesn't bait-and-switch you by showing you awesome work and then not sending you the photog who did the awesome work.</div>
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_davids-bridal-photography-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:f76584c6-67e6-4e66-a344-9076e7ed880bPost:8d7d6d53-5a2a-48ac-a80c-52fbed70c821">Re: David's Bridal Photography</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: David's Bridal Photography : I kind of disagree with this.  Plenty of very good photographers get their start working for someone else - that's how photography works.  Even if you're talented, you can't just hang a shingle and say "I do weddings" and expect to make a living.  Sure, some of the DB photogs will be rejects from other photog studios, but there's probably also plenty of perfectly good photographers working for DB because they are just starting out and don't have the level of experience most brides look for when they're looking for an independent photographer. If you do decide to consider DB, ask to see samples of work from the specific photographer you will be working with , and then make sure the contract specifically states that the photographer you like is the person you'll be getting on the wedding day, so DB doesn't bait-and-switch you by showing you awesome work and then not sending you the photog who did the awesome work.
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

This would be great except that David's Bridal doesn't allow you to know or meet the photographer you're working with until the week or day of the wedding. This is noted in many of the negative reviews written by couples who use them for photos. The reason they can't guarantee a photographer is because they book your wedding and then try to find a photographer that is available on that date. Photographers are paid terribly, and David's Bridal does all of the processing and editing rather than the person who took the images. You get no contact with the photographer and there's really no recourse with them if they screw up or even don't show up. There's always going to be bait and switch with companies like this and The Pros because the photographers aren't in any way obligated to keep their dates open. Say they tell David's Bridal they're free September 29 and then in August they get their own inquiry for a wedding - do you think they're going to choose to shoot 8 hours for $300 and not get to keep the copyright on their images for their portfolio, or shoot their own wedding for much more?
  • I guess that's what bugs me about the set up.  I wished they listed photographers that worked for them.  Then you could check out their work individually to see who matches your style.  But I guess if that's what I'm looking for I know which route to go. 

I appreciate all of your input.  Laughing
  • You can usually ask when you make the sales appointment - I didn't work with DB, but I am working with a photo studio that has multiple photographers, and we specifically asked to see entire albums done by specific photographers so we could get a sense for whose work we liked best.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I would not recommend using them.  I did and I highly regret it!!

I was not able to see any work done by my actual photographer beforehand and I didn't even know who my photographer was until 1 week before my wedding.
    wedding countdown
  • i would never!!! i had a friend use them and they were not good at all!
  • I advise anyone to NOT go through Davids Bridal Photography. My wedding is in 3 weeks. I got my dress/ bridesmaids dresses from Davids Bridal and they were wonderful. I was also sold on a wedding photography package and was  told that we would have the opportunity to choose from a variety of photographers that would suit our needs. We were told that as soon as we pay off our bill in full that they would send us canidates to view. My fiance and I paid right away and we had such a hard time from there on getting communication from the photography corporate office. Basically they assigned one photographer to us and did not give us the option to choose. We found out about our photographer that was assigned to us from a voicemail, which stated...Hi, I am your photographer. If you have any questions give me a call, otherwise I will see you on your wedding day! We were not sent any photos or websites to view on our canidate that they assigned to us. Davids Bridal Photography said that they do not give you the option and that I was misinformed. No bride and groom ever wants to have a photographer that they know nothing about or have seen any of their work! Before you ever make a big purchase, you always want to compare so that you get the best fit for your wants and needs. We were by far not picky at all, but this company lacked major customer service. When you call, you expect a call back right away or within a day or so...not weeks later if that!
    We have called repeatedly our coordinator MaryEll and contacted her boss Candace, and Candaces boss Adam throughout this process. We never heard back from anyone of them until now 3 weeks till our wedding when we recieved a call from the VP Eileen of Davids Bridal Photography. Their solution to the problem because they could not find a photographer for our wedding date that was available, was to just refund our money back. When you sign up for their package, they also gaurentee you a back up photographer on the day of your wedding, god forbid anything was to happen to the photographer the day of your wedding. If they had troubles locating a photographer for our wedding day, what about the backup photographer??? A bride and grooms worst nightmare is not have a photographer on their special day to capture all the special moments. This battle for communication from them throughout this whole process has left us stressed, frustrated and without a photographer. I wish we would have read the reviews on this site before signing a contract. Many of the posts are very similar to what we have been dealing with. So PLEASE, do not choose Davids Bridal Photography!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards