Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Anyone dealing with special issues (like allergies)?

Gluten allergies, dairy allergies, nut allergies, sugar sensitivity -- anyone making special concessions for their guests (or themselves!)? What's your plan?

Re: Anyone dealing with special issues (like allergies)?

• LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad has a gluten allergy, and we just made sure he had enough options in the buffet to fill up on.  We considered dessert options, but it just wasn't economical to shuffle the whole dessert situation for one person's allergies.  Plus, my husband LOVES cake, so we couldn't compromise there!
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    I am allergic to dairy. We will be having a tenderloin carving station and chargrilled chicken, with roasted new potatoes, green beans, wild rice with mushrooms, and a tossed salad. (All with no dairy.) We will also have yeast rolls and I will bring my own dairy-free butter for me.

I'm making my own cake and will either make one tier diary free for me, or we are considering making a rice krispie cake (thanks to the budget board!!) and just using dairy-free butter in that recipe. ;)

MARRIED 10.10.10 !!

October 2010 Siggy Challenge - walking down the aisle!

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We have tons of allergy/intollerance/Celiac's in our family so the biggest thing we've had to contend with is avoiding cross-contamination of utensils because our food choices end up being very diverse.  OTOH, it helps A LOT to have a buffet meal instead of plated because people with issues (myself included) can load up on the things we can eat and avoid the things we can't have SO much easier.  It (the buffet) just overall helps with people who have dietary preferences/issues not be able to whine about not getting enough to eat. 

For DH's cousin's wedding I made her cake as her gift (yes, had clearance from the site and caterers since I'm not licensed) she did her main cake a regular wedding cake then had the Groom's Cake Gluten/Wheat and dairy free...  It actually turned out REALLY well and they cut the groom's cake first so that their knife didn't cross-contaminate with their slice of the main cake.  The people who had the intolerances were overjoyed because it was the first time in months/years for many of them that they could have CAKE!

The thing we've learned to do is to be up front and ahead with contacting caterers about allergy issues ahead of time but also planning ahead to be willing to pay the little extra to avoid issues (additional meal options)... 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a vegetarian (and so are my BMs), and FI eats vegetarian a lot of the time (when he eats with me). FI has told me we can do a vegetarian reception (nothing weird, of course) and my venue is more than willing to accomodate. I'm debating whether I would feel comfortable serving all veggie apps and one veggie entree with a sustainable fish entree as well, though. We're paying for it, so I'm still deciding if I want my money to support the meat industry.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My family has alot of food issues
    dairy
    wheat
    eggs
    meat
    red onions
    red pepers

its not just I don't like it allergies, they are I need to go to a hospital allergies.

We are going to do a buffet and each dish will have a card that says "dairy, wheat, eggs" or " dairy FREE" that way people know whats in the food. 
    I think that we will do a vegan gluten free pudding maybe instead of cupcakes for the allergie crowd.
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary Our son died at 16weeks 6days on September 22, 2010 The greatest thing you?ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return" ~ Moulin Rouge My Blog
  • heidilynn43heidilynn43 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad has Celiacs as well. Our wedding is not until Oct 2011 and sadly I have not done much of anything, but was planning on calling local caterers to find someone familiar with his allergies. I was going to pick a caterer that knows how to prepare some dishes gluten-free. I am having a buffet so planning on putting some notation on the cards of food he can or cannot eat. Then just make sure all the serving utensils stay with the food they belong to.

I'll probably also have him (or that whole table) go up to get food first.

For the cake I'll probably just buy a small, individual gluten-free cake for him :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards