Christian Weddings

Facebook...Ugh. (NWR)

I have a facebook and usually check it once maybe twice daily. So last night when I got on to check it and see what friends were up to, I read a status that seriously bothered me.

She had wrote that she was sick and tired of seeing people act Christianly in life and then get on FB and not act like a Christian at all. And that Christian people don't need to be friends with the people they are friends with on FB. And because of all this, she was deleting her FB.

The first part I kinda agree with. But to judge someone by who they are friends with (or judge them period)? Umm no. I am a Christian. And I have a lot of non-Christian friends who live in a way that I would never consider. They do things that I don't agree with, but I don't judge them for it. I am only responsible for my actions and my actions alone. I can't help what a friend does. And plus, I don't hold that much stock in facebook.

Does anyone else feel the same?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Facebook...Ugh. (NWR)

• The sad fact is that people are often judged by the company they keep (or in this case, FB friends).  Do I think that's right? No, but I'm aware that it happens.  I try to make a point of only accepting friend requests with people I'm actually friends with, and I haven't had any problems.  Even when friends do things I hold beliefs I don't necessary agree with, it's not like they post about it on my wall, so I don't have any problems.  I can see there being issues if a friend posted something inappropriate on my wall where my other friends and family would see. 

Sadly, it's my youngest cousin who I see posting the most inappropriate things on his FB (not my wall, but I see it in the newsfeed).  If he weren't my cousin I would probably delete him as a friend, even though it's not on my wall, because I find some of it offensive. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yeah, that's crazy. I mean, there is a Biblical basis for not keeping company with those who can be a bad influence on you, but a) Jesus ate with sinners and b) it's facebook. I have lots and lots of facebook friends I don't see in person very often if at all. 

And yes, that may be a reason for her to evaluate who is her facebook friend and if she should participate in teh facebook community... but not a license for her to judge otherws who don't feel convicted about the same thing. We all have our own weaknesses and waht affects me might not affect you. For example, I can't listen to a lot of secular music, even though I like it, because I've noticed a corellation between times when I listen to a lot and when my negative thought patterns are increased, which leads to increased sins. So, for me personally, I listen to Christian music almost exclusively so that those tiems when I am exposed to secular msuic, like in soemone else's car or in a store, it isn't a large enough dose to affect me.

But if you can listen to seculrar music all day long and it doesn't affect you? More power to you. Seriously. I like a lot of it. I jus tknow my own weakensses.

Sounds to me this woman ahs a weakness for facebook. And instead of accepting it and bowing out, she's blaming otherz for their content and lashing out... then bowing out.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • I guess what bothered me most about is that I know her and her husband through FI and church (her H is a pastor...not being judgmental, just stating facts). I had a lot of respect for her, but now I just don't have any. She made such a big deal about peoples FB friends. I mean, It was to the point of basically saying that if that is who their friends were, then they weren't Christians.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kinda sounds like she wants to be in a bubble of Christian friends only, dosnt this go against being a Christian and spreading the love and understanding of Christ in an un-Christ like world ? I guess evangelism just only goes so far for some people.
    Love is All You Need
  • "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• hehe.  I like that, ravenray.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_facebookugh-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d62cbb3d-fc93-453e-bd8d-f01737978c96Post:15df8d29-676a-4a13-93dd-1153a8800cff">Re: Facebook...Ugh. (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just post this on her wall <a href="http://pinterest.com/pin/92183123592823552/" rel="nofollow">http://pinterest.com/pin/92183123592823552/</a>
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

I quite enjoyed that! And I would completely post that on her wall, but she deleted her FB...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_facebookugh-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d62cbb3d-fc93-453e-bd8d-f01737978c96Post:f84e2413-c926-4b79-85e4-7bec095a4463">Re: Facebook...Ugh. (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Facebook...Ugh. (NWR) : I quite enjoyed that! And I would completely post that on her wall, but she deleted her FB...
    Posted by SugarFoote[/QUOTE]
    Print it out and mail it to her? Lol.  Too bad.  It is sad how people forget that we are to love everyone. 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_facebookugh-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:d62cbb3d-fc93-453e-bd8d-f01737978c96Post:05414186-2a69-41d0-b978-701468772f65">Re: Facebook...Ugh. (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Facebook...Ugh. (NWR) : <strong> Print it out and mail it to her? Lol.</strong>  Too bad.  It is sad how people forget that we are to love everyone. 
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

Bahahaha!!! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards