Chit Chat

Crazy Neighbor Lady

I should preface this with: my neighbor is an older lady (not ancient, like, mid-50's) and lives alone. We've talked in the past, and it's been all very friendly. No hard feelings between us at all. (We live in a townhouses, so we share some walls.)

Soooo I got home last night from work about 6:30. She's waiting for me outside. She asks, "can I come in? I want to talk to you about something." This freaked me out a little, so I said the cat had thrown up on the rug that morning and I didn't have time to clean it up. Give me 5 minutes to change out of my work clothes and I'll come over. So I go over to her place, and then she starts in to it. To sum up an hour long conversation: she thinks I'm stealing her internet and hacking into her computer and giving her viruses. She now apparently has 15 million files on her computer (because of me). She reported this (she says) to the cops, who have, in turn, talked to the FBI.

Mind you, this all apparently started happening in November... and I have yet to hear from the cops or the FBI? Things look a little fishy to me. So I called the county police, just to see. No report of me. At all. My next plan of action is to call my landlord this morning and just give them a heads up that my neighbor is crazy and I feel as though I was harassed.

The cops told me, "Next time she confronts you about this, just have her call us." So, that's what I'm gonna do. If she really thinks I'm a hacker, then by all means, call the cops. I was thinking about breaking my lease (or seeing if there's another apartment I can move into...) before but now I'm a little freaked out by my neighbor.

Re: Crazy Neighbor Lady

• Honestly, I would probably want to move too, since she's obviously crazy. Does your lnadlord have other spaces? He might understand. This might be taking it too far, but I might file a harassment complaint since she's way off base.

PS- We're getting married the same day :) happy planning!
  • I'm sorry this is happening to you, but thank you for sharing and giving me a laugh. What a loon. 

Not exactly related, but it reminds me a little of this guy who came in to Best Buy when my husband worked for the Geek Squad a few years back. He was convinced the government had placed spyware on his computer and was watching him b/c when he would type stuff into Google, it sometimes came back with the "Did you mean......" and he was convinced that was the government communicating with him and knowing what he was looking up on his computer. He wanted my husband to remove the software from it.  Hahaha!  Some people and their computer craziness!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I wouldn't want to live that close to a paranoid weirdo either.. This is probably only the tip of the crazy iceberg.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    J + A [4-15-13] + JJ [1-22-14] 
  • edited February 2013
    We both have wireless, but I know my network is secured, and she's made it very clear that hers is too. All I can do at this point is roll my eyes and call my landlord. If she accuses me again, I'm going to tell her to call the cops.

ETA: I'm glad I could provide you with a laugh. It's funny now, but let me tell you last night it was not so funny.
  • Record the incidences as best you can, and in the most detail as possible.   Make sure you have records of payments to your own wireless provider (a hacker probably doesn't pay for internet).

Also, don't be surprised if she starts talking about you taking cable or satellite TV next.  Then there's also her mail that she can be paranoid of.  Unfortunately these things tend to escalate.

Keep talking to the police every time she 'pulls you aside'. And keep writing down everything she says to you. You need a papertrail.

Good luck, I hope that's the last you hear from her!

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I agree with keeping a record of anytime she confronts you about this, what she says, the date, etc. I also agree with directing her to call the cops if she has an issue.

She either is making the whole thing up (which is worrisome) or she really has been hacked and doesn't understand how computer hacking works. Either way, I would very firmly tell her, "I did not hack your computer. Please stop harassing me about it and contact the police if you have concerns."

I don't know if this is enough to make me move. I have had some really crapp neighbors when living in apartments that were loud at all hours, were slobs in common areas, would bang on our floor (their ceiling) if we walked at all heavy in the apartment, etc. I reported stuff to the landlady that could be reported and ignored the rest until they moved out. I suppose it would depend on how much you love your townhouse and if there are others available. Also the amount of hassle it would be to move.

If it were me, I would wait a couple weeks, see if she brings it up again. Maybe it was a one-time thing and she realizes she's being crazy and/or that it wasn't you and stops. If she brings it up again, I would say what I wrote above. If it continued above and beyond that, I might be the one calling the cops on her and/or looking into relocating.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_crazy-neighbor-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a86f83fb-fe93-4147-bf8a-7caa4d045372Post:cb28108a-c72a-4f5a-bfbf-44d829d3bde9">Re: Crazy Neighbor Lady</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry this is happening to you, but thank you for sharing and giving me a laugh. What a loon.  Not exactly related, but it reminds me a little of this guy who came in to Best Buy when my husband worked for the Geek Squad a few years back. He was convinced the government had placed spyware on his computer and was watching him b/c when he would type stuff into Google, it sometimes came back with the "Did you mean......" and he was convinced that was the government communicating with him and knowing what he was looking up on his computer. He wanted my husband to remove the software from it.  Hahaha!  Some people and their computer craziness!
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Wow...How did he handle that situation?
  • Is she schizophrenic? They always think someone is hacking into their private life or the FBI and government is spying on them. Maybe she's completely normal the rest of the time but from this post she sounds like a freaking loon.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_crazy-neighbor-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a86f83fb-fe93-4147-bf8a-7caa4d045372Post:fa122740-6283-480c-9a80-004b8d1fa4c7">Re: Crazy Neighbor Lady</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Neighbor Lady : Wow...How did he handle that situation?
    Posted by jshillings1[/QUOTE]

<div>He tried explaining what it was, and when the guy wouldn't buy it, he told him if the government had put something on his computer, it would be against the law for him to remove it so he was stuck with it. Haha!</div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_crazy-neighbor-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:a86f83fb-fe93-4147-bf8a-7caa4d045372Post:05553486-f792-425f-b48f-2d3ff403dfb7">Re: Crazy Neighbor Lady</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crazy Neighbor Lady : He tried explaining what it was, and when the guy wouldn't buy it, he told him if the government had put something on his computer, it would be against the law for him to remove it so he was stuck with it. Haha!
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

That's pretty clever. I was just curious because there was really no good way to appease him, which is what I would have tried to do to get him out of my hair. :)
  • I agree with PP who have said to document it if your neighbor keeps giving you a hard time. I do wonder though, given your neighbors age, is it possible that she's legitimately starting to suffer from a mental illness, or possible early onset dementia? If her actions are so far from the norm, it might be a warning sign. You are by no way obligated, but if you have a way to contact her family and let them know what's going on, it could score you karma brownie points. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_crazy-neighbor-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:a86f83fb-fe93-4147-bf8a-7caa4d045372Post:1eafd3e3-76dc-4492-bc68-a5a08467de37">Re: Crazy Neighbor Lady</a>:
    [QUOTE]Record the incidences as best you can, and in the most detail as possible.   Make sure you have records of payments to your own wireless provider (a hacker probably doesn't pay for internet). Also, don't be surprised if she starts talking about you taking cable or satellite TV next.  Then there's also her mail that she can be paranoid of.  Unfortunately these things tend to escalate. Keep talking to the police every time she 'pulls you aside'. And keep writing down everything she says to you. You need a papertrail. Good luck, I hope that's the last you hear from her!
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Wow people are crazy lol I agree with this though, if she gets paranoid then things could escalate quickly.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards