Wedding Etiquette Forum

Open House Bridal Shower

My FMIL & FSILs are throwing me a bridal shower and since the guest list is so big they suggested that we do it open house style.  I am fine without playing any games (which is their big concern).  What else goes on?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Open House Bridal Shower

• They said something about me opening the gifts as people hand them to me.  I feel odd about that one but if it's ok to do, I guess I can.  I just feel weird about opening it when they first arrive.  Feels a lil gift grabby. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Food and opening gifts are the only things I've done at a bridal shower.
  • bmoruzzi - when did you open gifts?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • how many people are you talking about?
    Crosswalk
  • chuygrl77chuygrl77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    about 70...my list was 34 people and then my FMIL also wanted her side of the family and her church group.  My MOH will co-host with them but the FILs are mainly running the show.
    ETA: all of these ladies are on the wedding invite list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would feel odd about opening a gift as soon as it's handed to me also. I think open house is fine except for the gift aspect of it. I guess you could just set a time for opening gifts and whoever is there to watch watches??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I've been to a couple showers and we ate first.  Then after everyone was done eating, the bride to be opened all the gifts.  
  • No games or anything like that at my shower -- cocktail hour, luncheon, gift opening, done. I don't really think a shower lends itself to an open house, though, since to me, a large part of the shower is the group experience. And I would think it was really odd if I handed someone a gift at a shower and they opened it on the spot. Honestly, I'd rethink this plan and either invite fewer people or have it somewhere that can accommodate everyone at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards