Chit Chat

outlandish MIL statements

Sooooo after we got engaged my FMIL got me a subscription to Weight Watchers magazine LOL. Classy. Which got me thinking......does anyone have any offbeat thing their FMIL/MIL said to them during the wedding planning process/ever? I need a good laugh on a Monday morning....

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: outlandish MIL statements

• I am about 40lbs overweight and my FMIL asked me once if my mother was afraid that I was going to get diabetes since I was overweight. I am actually quite healthy (except for being overweight, which I am working on), and NO, my mother is not worried about me, thank you. The best part is that she is overweight and complains constantly about her weight but does nothing to change it.
    She also called me bridezilla because I wanted a nice wedding dress...
    The Skinny Architect: www.skinnyarchitect.com
  • That's pretty low. My FMIL didn't think FI and I should be together because he goes to the gym and I don't. That was her only reason. We hid our engagement for a week so he could tell her and she didn't flip out. She told us that she thinks we are rushing into the wedding (dating 5 1/2 years and engaged 2 of those) and keeps saying " if you decide that you don't want to get married yet....or ever....we'll be okay with that and won't be mad." We've also been told that our news of getting married gave her such a problem that she is now on high blood pressure meds. She's a good time lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outlandish-mil-statements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d542ece4-d7dd-4095-a0c4-0fc80c440ae9Post:2d20b99e-6198-4e41-9a76-a8356a8e210c">Re: outlandish MIL statements</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's pretty low. My FMIL didn't think FI and I should be together because he goes to the gym and I don't. That was her only reason. We hid our engagement for a week so he could tell her and she didn't flip out. <strong>She told us that she thinks we are rushing into the wedding (dating 5 1/2 years and engaged 2 of those)</strong> and keeps saying " if you decide that you don't want to get married yet....or ever....we'll be okay with that and won't be mad." We've also been told that our news of getting married gave her such a problem that she is now on high blood pressure meds. She's a good time lol.
    Posted by futuregabriel[/QUOTE]

How long did she think you should be together for???? 10 more years before marriage???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outlandish-mil-statements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d542ece4-d7dd-4095-a0c4-0fc80c440ae9Post:640c558c-ab5c-4fd9-8564-0911c0d43de2">Re: outlandish MIL statements</a>:
    [QUOTE]I mentioned that I didn't want to have a shower (I find them pretty awkward, plus we don't want to register because we don't have space or a need for more stuff) and FMIL asked if it was because my family didn't give gifts.   I didn't even know what to say to that, or where the hell she got that idea from.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Lol......good one
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FMIL asked if I was pronoucing my own middle name correctly. Um, yeah, I think so, since you know, it's been my name for 22 years...

She also pitched a biitch fit when FI and I told her we didn't want kids at the wedding. She was fine with hiring a sitter off site for the reception, but she insisted the kids go to the ceremony. Um, what kid wants to go the ceremony? The reception is where the food and fun stuff is...but anyway, we nixed that idea and kids are invited now. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Oh and she also asked how close could I even be to my siblings because we "only" lived together for a few years. (I asked my siblings to be in the wedding and they were the exception to the no-kids rule, which she was not happy with). That really got under my skin. Who is she to judge my relationships?
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Well shewasalways making weird comments but then when she found out she said 'I don't want to share my baby boy with you' as she cried of sadness....uhhhh lol I used to take offense to her comments but now I realize it's just kind of funny
  • This is nwr, but mil is crazycakes so I had to share something. For my baby shower, she gave me a typical shower card with a generic message, like something about "your precious bundle of joy". She wrote in under "your" the word "OUR", yes in caps. Then proceeded to open her gifts to me in front over everyone; some of H's baby clothes she had kept and the entire time exclaiming how people always marvel at how clean and well preserved they are, asking what her secret is. She has since removed said items from our home. Guess I wasn't preserving them well enough =P
  • My MIL keeps referring to my father as my "birth father".   My parents are divorced, my mother is remarried, I'm not adopted!  WTF?
    Anniversary
  • My FMIL is a crazycakes too.  My first sign was when FI and I started dating and he introduced me to her at her home.  The next day, I happened to be right next to FI when she was yelling at him on the phone about what a selfish inconsiderate person I was because I didn't offer to help her do laundry, vacuum, etc. WTF? She wasn't even doing any chores herself when we were there, but apparently I was supposed to say something along the lines of, "Would you like me to scrub your kitchen floor for you?" 

Another time, much later, she learned that by Dad was retired and only in his 50's.  She made a comment like, "Oh he got to retire early, that must be nice!"  Actually, my Dad was forced to retire early because of medical issues and didn't get as much of a pension as he would of had he waited until whatever age it is somewhere in your 60's... so no, he actually doesn't have it "nice."  She makes these kinds of comments about other people's perceived financial success because she is extremely bitter at the fact that her life is so screwed up from her poor financial decisions. She was extremely jealous when FI and I bought a new car too.

It's all been downhill from there...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outlandish-mil-statements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d542ece4-d7dd-4095-a0c4-0fc80c440ae9Post:eb6f9351-829e-419a-8a8a-e5fc4f4dfe15">Re: outlandish MIL statements</a>:
    [QUOTE]My MIL keeps referring to my father as my "birth father".   My parents are divorced, my mother is remarried, I'm not adopted!  WTF?
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]

That is out of control. WTF.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FMIL told me that she will not be wearing her corsage at our wedding ceremony because it will be held outside and she is afraid that a "swarm of bees" will attack her. She also said that if she sees one single bee, she will get up and wait insid for the ceremony to be over.. HUH?? She isn't allergic to them or anything, just scared.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • OMG wow! those are pretty outrageous. my FMIL has never done or said anything like that, but unfortunately my own mother has...

when i was trying on wedding dresses, i told her i liked the trumpet style...fitted at the hips and slightly flares out below. her response was "you shouldn't wear things that are too form fitting. it's not like you have a very nice figure. you want to wear something that will hide it a bit"

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Before my FMIL knew about my tattoo, she made a statement one day about how girls with tattoos and piercings always get knocked up before they're married and never make any good decisions. Hope she likes my decision to marry her baby boy :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We got a place together and got engaged at the same time. Leading up to the move, she dropped tons of not-so-subtle hints about how she "wasn't sure how she'd get by without DH helping her with the bills" and how "big and empty the apartment would be". DH told me once when I wasn't around, she pretty much flat out asked if she could come with him when he left.

After the fact, for several months, any time I was around (And DH was in another room to not put the kabosh on it), she'd start going on and on to me about "My son. My only son, who left me!"

She still drops hints all the time about "not knowing where she'll go if she gets evicted" (Which is a very real possibility considering how irresponsible she is with money), but DH already knows if she moves in, I'm moving out, so I'm not worried about it.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• These all made me laugh. My FMIL asked me a couple weeks ago if I was sure I wanted to marry her son. She then proceeded to give me a list of what is wrong with him and what she believes is wrong with me if I decide to go through with the wedding. I was driving with her during this and had no where to escape to. I simply smiled and giggled and said I'm not perfect and he's not perfect, but together we mesh well and I was positive I want to marry him. When I told FH about it he started laughing, apparently she said the samething to him almost in the same words. We just laughed it off.

• Mine told me twice that my wedding dress would look dirty because its ivory and not white.
    ~almost Mrs. Reese~
  • My FMIL told me that my dress wouldn't look good on me with an extra slip under it b/c the extra "poof" wouldn't look good on my "figure." (I'm still about 50 pounds overweight, but have lost over 30!). At that point, I had already bought the extra slip b/c it actually helps to contrast my waist and makes me look slimmer. Thanks FMIL.

She also wanted to throw a bridal shower for me and invite about 80 people, over half were her friends whom I've never met and are def not invited to the wedding. Then she admitted that she can't afford it and didn't go through with her plans.
  • My mother in law to be BOUGHT and SENT me a WEDDING GOWN WITHOUT CONSULTING ME!!! She calls it being involved, but am I CRAZY or is that TOTALLY inappropriate? I'd never seen it, it's 4 sizes too small, and NOT what I would have ever picked. How about taking a picture and saying, "do you like it?" Now, I feel like I owe her money for something I didn't ask for. 
  • Mine is no where near as bad as some of the above and I actually love my MIL but early on while planning the wedding we had a couple issues. The only arguments my husband and I had was about the invite list and cutting it down. Not only did she call her "baby boy" and explain why they people he doesnt even know should come, she helped host our shower and she took the list I sent her and added 6 more invites for people that wouldn't have originally been invited to the wedding but then we felt obligated....My fiance still couldn't pick some of these people out in a crowd and our wedding was last month....

• Wow, I love this!  LMAO!
  • thankfully my FMIL is lovely and has been very supportive. I guess the only thing she is doing that is bothering me is that she keeps comparing me to my FSIL and complimenting me on "how we have so much taken care of already" and that she really likes the way our wedding is "headed". It's simply by accident that all of our decicions are ones she likes, and her daughter's decisions don't sit well with her. I always feel awkward when these conversations come up.

• This makes me very thankful that my FMIL have a great relationship and get along really well...lol
  • When we told my now MIL that we were getting married she pointed her finger in my face and said "you are going to be a burden on my son!" I have multiple sclerosis and if I didn't tell her she would of never known, I'm not crippled and I'm definitely not a burden on my husband, thank god my husband stuck up for me. Good luck with the MIL, they are a species of there own!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outlandish-mil-statements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d542ece4-d7dd-4095-a0c4-0fc80c440ae9Post:ab2d0ebd-7d6f-4731-b371-6edeca63b35b">Re: outlandish MIL statements</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mother in law to be BOUGHT and SENT me a WEDDING GOWN WITHOUT CONSULTING ME!!! She calls it being involved, but am I CRAZY or is that TOTALLY inappropriate? I'd never seen it, it's 4 sizes too small, and NOT what I would have ever picked. How about taking a picture and saying, "do you like it?" Now, I feel like I owe her money for something I didn't ask for. 
    Posted by kingsamu[/QUOTE]
    I would tell her thank you for the nice gesture but I have somthing else in mind. You shouldn't owe her any money. it was her mistake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My favorite comment of all has got to be when she got mad because I stood up to her about something and she told me "I don't want you saying anything to MY SON about this!!! You'll just make me sound so horrible!" ... Yeah, for one I can tell him whatever I want, whenever I want and two, you are being pretty horrible right now...
  • My FMIL has been awesome throughout the whole wedding planning process. It's my mother who hasn't been very supportive of us. She thinks my FH is going to be a burden on me. He has back issues and hasn't been able to work much because of that. She thinks I need someone to take care of me.
  • My FMIL is a piece of work!  Right after FI and I got engaged she and I got into it and she demanded I give her back "her" diamond and that I was not good enough for her son.  The stone in my ring is the same that was given to her by her ex-husband.  They divorced 17 years ago and it was given to FI...it's in the divorce papers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • When I first mentioned that my FI and I wanted a simple wedding, she said why bother having a wedding at all then....things have gotten better since then between me and her, it's just his siblings that are acting like children now
  • edited March 2012
    When we went over to his parents house to announce that we were officially engaged,  my FMIL asked if I was pregnant. I am not pregnant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards